AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do you guys think that HD-DVD will not be "dumbed down" for the consumer? I mean they have done it now for almost every possible format with the exception of some 2-Channel CDs. Even if HD-DVD is the superior format, what will stop studios from adding EE and other digital artifacts for the consumers viewing them on their 34" widescreen HDTV. Sure, compression is not as large an issue, but still studios are not gonna want their HD-master copies of their movies floating around (which is probably going to happen in Asia and other big pirating nations). Because really, if you have something that good of quality, then there is no real need to go to a real movie theater. Also the question of which sound format will be added. Why not put 12 different 5.1 (or even 7.1) tracks of different languages? That way, they don't have to do different regions. They can just release one DVD for the entire world. But now we walk into copy protection. How long for some guy in Germany to create DeCes and crack the DVD code? A year or less, right? What type of copy protection will they have to add to make HD-DVD unbreakable?

Just some food for thought, while you die hard HD-DVD and DTheater people wait for the future of movies.

BTW, this was a spur of the moment post, so if any of my facts (information) is not correct, please correct me. :)

·
Registered
25,086 Posts
lax01,

My understanding of EE is that it is added to DVDs as a misguided way to sharpen DVDs which have been filtered to reduce alaising. The filtering softens the image and then EE is added to counteract the side effects. It is the bane of the large display however. Hopefully ,the reduced need for compression will decrease compression related artifacts and indirectly the need for EE . This seems to have been the prevailing logic. Will this be the fact only time will tell. Unfortunately the T2 review in WSR indicates that there is some EE even on the DVHS DTheater tapes :confused:

Art

·
Registered
833 Posts
Quote:
My understanding of EE is that it is added to DVDs as a misguided way to sharpen DVDs which have been filtered to reduce alaising.
Thats what would at least be a somewhat 'reasonable', yet as you stated 'misguided' way. But my current investigations lead to the fact that this might be the least significant reason.

EE (and DNR for that matter) is sometimes already on the HD master, maybe 'deliberately', maybe not.

Certain encoders seem to produce an edgy look, without operator intervention. In that case, the misguided 'filter' and then 'sharpen' logic was in the head of the encoder developer. Just as bad for us. Worse for the authoring houses, because they would have to investigate into different encoders to change something.

Other times, the commonly used set of encoding parameters might add ringing and no one notices (or cares) on the controls monitors.

I think we will hopefully see LESS D-Theater tapes that have an EE problem. Those with really heavy problems like Die Hard 3, Phantom Manace or Tombstone, might have the problem in the HD master and would require a new film transfer.

In the case of Sony, its definitely an encoder characteristic, because non-SB and SB encodings (from the same HD master) show a different ringing pattern.

There are a lot of excellent compressionists out there, who really care and are as passionate about this as we are. I had the priviledge to get into contact with some. But you would be surprised to see just how much ignorance and incompetence there can be among some of the others.

It will actually be interesting to see which titles have less to no EE on D-Theater. That would clearly point to the HD master or the encoding as the problem in those titles.

Oh well. Its a shame that we still have to discuss this.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.