AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, let me tell everyone that I love this site. I have learned a great deal here but I have a stupid question. Why do you have to tweak a Mitsubishi RP once you bring it home? I hear so many people saying that out of the box they are just ordinary but after calibration they are amazing. Isn't everyone after the same perfect picture? Why don't they calibrate them from the factory? Wouldn't they sell more sets if they were calibrated?

Gombo

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
Almost all sets are setup out of the box to look good on a showroom floor that has bright or bad lighting. And to compete with all the other sets that are the same way. And if a company was to set their sets to look right in a normal home environment, it may cost them lost sales due to they way they look set like that, when in competition to all the other sets on the sales floor, that are set to look good in bad or poor lighting conditions..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Gomboman:

I posted a similar thread / question to yours earlier. It is entitled "Need some technical answers". Haven't got any responses except from one person.

Kind Regards,

Tritium

·
Premium Member
11,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Gomboman
Why don't they calibrate them from the factory? Wouldn't they sell more sets if they were calibrated?

Gombo
One beauty of the Mits set is the tweakability. Keep in mind that everyones vision is slightly different. Thus when tweaking the picture, you can set it to what looks good to you. Some people are more sensitive to reds so adjusting the red push on an individual basis is a good thing versus having it set from the factory and then you have to deal with it.

The other factor is ambient. Each persons home or theater is different. Bringing out the best picture will depend on the variables that are found in ones home. The Mits sets leave the factory with a "raw" calibration. Fortunately tweaking these sets is fairly easy. The new 2004 line is much better out of the box along with tweaks now available in the user menu that used to only be accessible in the service menu. Mits has been listening to its customers.

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
Because of the nature of CRTs and the relation to elctro-magnetic fields, it is impossible to optimize a set in one location and expect it to perform at another. This is the case with any CRT set.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
It may be kind of odd, but I'm not sure there is any brand or technology of display device that doesn't require some level of tweaking. For non-CRT-based devices you are at least fighting against the "bright picture in the showroom" impact. For CRT-based devices you have to add the electromagnetic effects, someone dropping the set, etc.

Even direct view CRTs look better if properly tweaked, but very few people do this. With these higher-end set and higher-end audience there is much more of a tendancy to want to squeeze every last quality bit out of a display.

We tweak...because we love....:p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.