AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a DVD drive directly to the digital inputs on your A/V Receiver?

Since the DVD drive has 2 pin digital output, why can't that get converted into a coax or optical format and which gets plugged into the A/V Receiver.

Buying a sound card seems to be unnecessary, since you are bypassing all the sound processing of the sound card itself. The A/V receiver will do the DD&DTS decoding.

Am I not understanding something? I'm new to all this, so if this is really dumb then just slap me and tell me why I'm dumb!

I've been reading old posts on people issues with SPDIF problems on Soundblaster cards, and I would rather not get involved with any config issues.

Is there a PC card that has digital optical output?

Thanks - JP :confused:

·
Registered
27 Posts
The digital signal for AC-3 or DTS does not pass through the SPDIF of the Drive rather through the IDE and then is extracted and sent to a sound card that has digital out. The only thing you will get out of the spdif of the drive is 2ch digital auido. You will need a sound card to pass AC-3/DTS, sorry.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there a sound card that has an optical output?

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
Both of these proposals, i.e. SPDIF from the DVD-ROM drive digital output and SPDIF from a USB-to-SPDIF converter, do not work because of the same reason - the DVD contents are scrambled by CSS (Content Scrambling System). The audio bitstreams are embedded in the same data frames as the video, and roughly every 3rd frame is encrypted by CSS.

To reconstruct either audio or video, you must use some form of authorized DVD player - such as an external standalone hardware player, a PC type hardware player such as the Hollywood+ card, or a pure PC software player application.

In addition to decryption, the player has an operator interface that allows you to select among the various audio streams (DD5.1, DTS, Dolby Surround 2.0, and alternate languages).

I don't see the sound card requirement going away soon - sound card technology is still advancing rapidly, if not quite at the blistering pace of video cards. A basic sound card costing less than $50US is typically more than enough for SPDIF passthrough, and analog stereo playback - but far more challenging audio applications such as PC gaming, MIDI, etc. mandate the large selection of PC soundcards we now enjoy.

Gary

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
I could do without a sound card, since I bypass it all using SDI. That said, why would you want to have an HTPC without a sound card? You would be losing a lot of functionality (streaming video from the net, video games, etc.).

jpinto: sound cards with optical out are a dime a dozen, and quality varies. Some of the nicer ones are mentioned above. (Or is this a discrete feature that I don't know about?)

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
concept that I was not aware of. DVD audio has to be decoded by something and passed to a sound card.

Thanks for the info guys! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.