AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After checking out many posts here on people's settings on the Sammy sets, one thing I noticed is that most of them have the contrast set high ~90 or so. Why is this? I thought contrast was bad-not because it will cause burn-in(not on DLPS), but because I thought high contrast introduced video noise & other anomalies. Your input is appreciated

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Contrast determines dynamic range between white and black. This is similar to audio where dymanic range is the difference between silence and peak. The closer dynamic range is to real life in both audio and video, more lifelike and involving audio/video event is. One of the strongest points of DLP is dynamic range. For long we have been in the dark of CRT sets that could not pump up video dynamic range even close to real life situations. For example, when you exit from a dark room into the brightness of a sunny day, your eyes almost hurt for a second. Well, DLP can come close to that.

Depending on the source I am watching I usually go between 80 and 100. For example, Chicago is 80, while LOTR I put on 100. I even go beyond 100 sometimes during the day (although my HT room is very dark). I just watched LOTR TT with a buddy and he wanted to see more contrast, so we pumped it up by another 20 points through my HTPC with offseting brigthness adjustment. He loved it, and I must admit that it was OK for 98% of the movie. Only sometimes I saw loss of detail in the peak white range.

Like everything else, this is a matter of personal preference.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.