AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read a couple weeks ago about the astig adjustments and either I am doing something wrong or this is not such a biggie. I opened up my unit and set up the dot pattern. I defocused until I saw the dots as blobs. I saw they were not round and he dot was off center. On each tube I turned the astig dials a couple notches and got the dot in the center of the perfectly round blob at the center of the screen. Fortunate for me the rasters stayed rather centered needing very little adjustment. All this took me less than 1/2 hour. I went to the astig controls from the remote and did the corner adjustments for each color and was done.

I see people say they take hours to do this. Why? I am using a 6PG Xtra by the way.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
I've taken months romy101. As in I've never tried to do astig. Ever. :)

*hangs head in shame*

Now that my office is cleaned out, perhaps I'll tackle a resetup and astig. I think I'm ordering a set of Rocket speakers on Monday, and must move stuff around anyway to get them into the HT room. Might be a damn good excuse to do astig too.

·
Registered
667 Posts
My 1272 had round "underfocused" blobs and dots in the center of the overfocused blobs for RED and BLUE.

Green blobs were round but the bright spot was off center. Slight tweak (2 minutes) and it was centered. *Maybe* this helped me get a *slightly* better focus on green.

However when moving from overfocused to underfocused the blobs seemed to move slightly (GREEN). I do have a great focus so dare not mess with it further.

Bottom line, after two years with this projector, I spent about 10 minutes total (during a multi-day goggle flapper modification and HTPC convergence) doing astig.

Paul

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Romy,

I can do astig in a few minutes, but don't tell anyone. When you were done, put up a crosshair. Then defocus in both direction each color at a time. If any movement is seen OTHER than blurring evenly from the center, the astig is still off. Nothing should move in any direction whatsoever while over and under focusing. THAT'S where most people have trouble.

Marc

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
What Marc said plus the fact that astig, flare and raster centering are interactive. If a perfect setup is what your after, you could spend an hour on each tube going back and forth until all three are perfect. That is part of a Pro setup and one of the reasons that it takes a Pro a whole day to dial a NEC in. The results from the extra effort are worth it.

Chip S.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.