AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a newer member to a hometheatre forum, but long time member of one of the more popular audiophile forums, the Denon name seems to be the predominant brand discussed here.

Is this receiver truly superior to Pioneer, Yamaha and Onkyo....of course, not mentioning Sony. Dont get me started there.

In the HT world, does Denon make a superior product ? Or, is it just this forum.

Is it their marketing , or have there been head to head...UNBIASED testing with similarly spec'd models that prove that Denon is superior.

While reading one of batpig's responses on one page, he mentioned Pioneer as having a more "user modifiable" room correction software. So, I did some avsforum searching only to find that there are few posts or those with true listening comparison experience with Pioneer vs Denon.

So, I will probably be purchasing a Denon.

Is Denon truly superior on many fronts , such as reliability and SQ, or is it just avsforum that finds this brand popular.

And, no, I am not trying to get a stir or rise out of anyone, ...just trying to get a handle for the Denon name and reputation, since it is not a name commonly referred to in the forums I frequent.

And, after reading mannnnnnnnnnny posts here, I respect the knowledge of several posters such as batpig.

Regards

Lexicon

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
I always thought Onkyo had the biggest following here?

I have owned them all and I like the Denon 2809, it suits my needs...is it superior?

Nope, Onkyo, HK, Yahama, Pioneer make very capable AVRs in the same class (except I would say subjectively that I HATE Onkyo because of the heat issue).

In the end just fine the one that you can get the best deal for and has the functionality you want! Its honestly that simple, most stuff argued about daily here is a "splitting hairs", "strawman" arguement type stuff from people who just have strong opinions over the smallest and most mundane issues.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
I don't find the bias you see toward Denon here, alot of people seem to think what they own is the best, if that's Denon then that's it. There are multiple owners threads here of other brands and I've recommended other brands and models many times.

The fact is, no receiver is perfect, they all have pluses and minuses and that can vary between models from the same company. I personally own Onkyo and have tested against many other brands and always went back to it. Am I saying it's the best, for me, yes, for you, who knows. I can tell you I've had no issues with heat and my house is still standing.

Set your price point and use these forums to narrow down to the best choices within it due to features and whatever else is important to you, if it's Audyssey then that narrows it down to Denon and Onkyo, if not that adds Pioneer, HK, Yamaha and Sony, although I'm not a Sony fan. Once you get it narrowed down to a few models you'll probably want to go check them out for yourself and base your choice on what you find out then.

Trying to pick out the best receiver FOR YOU by reading isn't going to happen, once you think you've got it you'll read a post that it sucks due to bla bla bla and this is the one you should get. However you can get general ideas of the differences and take the rest with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You know, when I went back to review all the more recent threads, you are correct.... there are more Onkyo users or posts.

There appears however to be a fair number who have had defective Onkyo receivers and have returned them, and a fair number that run hot, or too hot for several posters. Perhaps its because there are more #s being purchased.

This is from just my skimming those threads.

I am going to go with the Denon 2809, looks like it should fill my bill.

So, my error in posting.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I've referred to this forum as the Onkyo forum before... looks like the Onkyo folks have quieted down a bit. Thread search results Denon 500 Onkyo 499, a virtual tie, lol.

I owned a Yamaha before going to separates... the Denon's of that era (2000) sounded dull to me.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
LOL this is a very silly thread

·
Registered
6,694 Posts
Judging by the the numbers above, this site is secretly owned by Denopionkyomaha!

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
That name hurts my brain, and you like conjured up a demon at the same time. I hope you don't get devoured. Maybe he already ate

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
If you go to the first page of the "AMPS, RECEIVERS and PROCESSORS" Then click on "Posts". It will show you all of the threads by how many posts.

Looking at the first page, seems to be, up to date posts?

Onkyo is 2 to 1 over Denon, and Denon is 2 to 1 over Yamaha for total posts.

Very silly

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.