AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For several weeks Best Buy stores have had the DTC100 marked as "on clearance" even though they keep selling non-open-box units at full retail ($550) and stores seem to keep getting more stock. I have seen no credible evidence that a replacement is near from RCA, yet BB salesdroids claim the unit is being replaced. I've not heard of anyplace else where it is on clearance. Does anyone know what the story is with Best Buy and the DTC100? Thanks.

------------------

Rich Peterson

DBS Consumer Guide Author

·
Registered
732 Posts
RCA is not going to have a replacement for the DTC-100 in the near future. Best Buy is trying to sell set top boxes with component out instead of the HD-15 connector that requires an adapter for most HD sets.

·
Premium Member
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, M&K S-125, S-80, MX-90, Windows Media Center 4K HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,623 Posts
After talking to a few BB employees, I think they simply want to replace the DTC-100 with a newer STB for in store demo use. The RGB vs. component comment by GregC also makes sense.

------------------

"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"

tm

·
Premium Member
12,971 Posts
Recall my bad experience with my DTC-100 being given a lobotomy last November? That was when our local BB told me the DTC-100 was being discontinued and replaced by a new model. That was almost a year ago.

The only valid explanation is: It is Best Buy's way of selling a product. They really don't know any better. I do buy a few things at Best Buy but I try to go in and pick up the merchandise and pay for it and leave without talking to any of them. It's tough when you feel you are amongst a group of people with IQ's an average of 75 points below your own and then try to carry on a conversation. They don't understand me and I don't care to understand them.

------------------

Don Landis

Home Theater Pics at: www.scubatech.com Last updated 3/25/01

[This message has been edited by Don Landis (edited 10-01-2001).]

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
All that really matters is they are on clearance (for whatever their reasons) and anything on clearance is able to be price adjusted! My local BB had a new DTC-100 on clearance at $499 and I got them to sell it for $399! Just talk to them and get the price down to a reasonable price that you are willing to buy it at!

------------------

------------------
My DVD/LD List My Equipment List

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Abt electronics (in Morton Grove IL - just outside Chicago) has the DTC100 for $350. They are demo units and open box. You can probably get them for $300 if you are nice to a sales guy.

Just helping out folks in the area..

·
Registered
738 Posts
hi guys,

on the same note find an open box at your local BB and negociate. i bought mine last week for $200. without the cables or manuels and it works great.

good luck

carlos

------------------

"He who dies with the most toys wins". unless its home theater we die broke!!! Let The Games Begin

·
Registered
81 Posts
I got one yesterday for $219.00

Open Box, no manual or remote, but it did have the access card.

Bill

·
Registered
637 Posts
I went to a couple BBs in my area, and neither had any DTC-100s in stock. None on clearance and no place for them on the racks. They only HD rec'r they have was the Tosh.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Note that if you buy one without an access card and you are a subscriber, DirecTV will send you a new one by mail for $20. So, their policy has changed and you won't have to pay an outrageous fee.

I have yet to see the $20 even show up on my D* bill actually, but there were some unusual circumstances and I think they may have let me slide on it.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
STL,

I was told by a BB salesman that they were discontinuing the DTC-100 and replacing it with the Toahiba. The DTC-100 had no component outputs and appeared to be too much of a kluge when used with the transcoder. The Toshiba has component outputs and can be used by anyone that needs a STB whether OTA or DirectTV.

Rick R

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.