AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Central Scrutinizer
8,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a quick search and came up dry, but I assume that this question has already been asked, but why does WBZ Boston's (CBS) sound crackle in the center speaker, and only on Sunday nights?

At first I assumed that either the problem was on my end or that I was just getting bad reception, but after about 6 or 8 weeks of this, I have come to the conclusion that the problem resides either with CBS or with WBZ. CBS is my hero (naturally) for HDTV programming, so I watch it every chance I get, and most of the time all is fine, with the occasional bumps, glitches, and dropouts that we come to accept, but for some reason every Sunday night I get an almost continuous crackle coming from my center speaker, and only on WBZ.

I have both a DTC 100 and a MyHD card, and the crackle occurs with both pieces, and if I switch to any other station, the cackle is gone. Lately CBS has been broadcasting Becker along with reruns of one of its Monday night comedies, and both of these shows is loaded with the dreaded crackle, yet the same shows, when broadcast on Monday night, is clean as can be.

Am I the only one having this problem or have others noticed the same thing? Is this problem from CBS central or WBZ (Boston)? Or have I just totally lost my marbles? :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've only had a HD STB for a few days. But I didn't notice any crackle on CBS until tonight. I didnt get a continuous crackle, but some clipping it sounded like.

·
Central Scrutinizer
8,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
I didnt get a continuous crackle, but some clipping it sounded like.
No, it isn't actually continuous, but close enough. And yes, it just might be clipping. If you are in Florida, then I can probably assume that this is a national CBS issue, and not a local problem. Thank you for your input!

·
Registered
490 Posts
I'm getting some crackles from KCBS 2-1 in LA.

DTC-100 here. Seems to me like the audio signal is just too hot and is distorting on peaks. I noticed it on "Becker" and right now on "The Christmas Shoes". I haven't watched anything else on CBS tonight, but I have noticed this before.

The audio here is DD2.0, so with ProLogic processing it comes from the center but if you switch to straight stereo it comes equally from L and R (of course).

·
Central Scrutinizer
8,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, I watched the CBS lineup for 3 hours tonight and the sound was perfect, as it is 6 days a week. I think CBS needs to get a new Sunday engineer or something :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Sorel
Ok, I watched the CBS lineup for 3 hours tonight and the sound was perfect, as it is 6 days a week. I think CBS needs to get a new Sunday engineer or something :)
yea. haha. I just watched 8 to 10. everything was back to normal.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have noticed the same crackling from the center channel on CBS for the past month or so, on both Sunday and Monday night shows. Like others, I origninally assumed something wrong with my center channel, but switching to another channel eliminates the problem. Must be a CBS issue. I am watching CBS out of Sacramento, CA.

·
Central Scrutinizer
8,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know that Bob Ross stops by every so often, but does anyone know who to contact at CBS regarding this issue? I would think that someone in the engineering department might like to know that they have a problem that needs to be fixed. Since this has been going on for so long, I have to assume that they are unaware or they would have repaired it by now.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I have an excellent Vanderstein speaker set up and I have noticed this crackling noise from CBS for a long time. I have to turn the volume down. I have a Dish 5000 receiver and I receive the national cbs feed. I have no problem with any other channel HD or other. I also have a DTC 100 and have no problem with HBO, Showtime, HDNET etc. CBS is the only issue.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
I've noticed this during the last week also, and it wasn't happening before Thanksgiving, at least not on the nights I watch (Mon, Thurs, Sat). It was really bad during CSI last night, which is strange because in the past CSI has always had really excellent sound. I wonder if some dunce engineer decided to take the "louder is better" approach and pushed the dialog to distortion/clipping. Hope they fix it soon.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
It must be a national thing.The center channel has been hot all week ,CSI,the Agency.I hope they get it fixed,or heres a wild thought,how about change it to 5.1 LIKE IT SHOULD BE!

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Bump...

Any news Bob? It was really bad during CSI, Without A Trace, and The Agency this past week. I hope they can fix this soon. I always though CBS had the best audio (better even than ABC's so-called 5.1), so it's frustrating to get such poor audio for some of my favorite shows.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi All,

I am getting CBS via OTA here out of Boston and have had no problems with sound from any of the channels. This is a local feed though, not the national one that seems to be the issue.

Chris10

·
Registered
279 Posts
I also have a problem with CBS sound ... but normally only from the football games. HDTV or Regular OTA. When I watch CBS on my STB (Mits), I need to turn the dolby OFF - otherwise I will lose the sound on CBS completely within a few minutes. I don't seem to have this problem with CBS shows other than sports. With dolby OFF, all is ok, and it doesn't matter while watching most shows. But, I always forget to turn it back on.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
i have this problem on sat afternoon during the hd college football games.

i cant watch the games when the sound is like that so i just turn it off.

i have a mits stb and am in the philly tv area.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
No such problems at all here in Fort Lauderdale.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.