AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question has been absolutely baffling me since I got Directv. Well, I can't blame Directv yet as I didn't own the LCD until I was a Directv subscriber. Anyway, I own two HDTV's. A Samsung LN-T4065f 1080 LCD HDTV, and a Sony XBR970 CRT HDTV. With Directv programming, my CRT absolutely blows away the LCD...no contest. However, with blu-ray movies, my LCD absolutely blows away the CRT. I can understand the LCD doing better with blu-rays, but why does Directv look SOOOO much better on the CRT? Is this normal? Am I doing something wrong? Anyone else have this experience?

I have them both hooked up with HDMI connections. The LCD has a HR21 hooked up to it with the native setting on and the 1080i and 1080p boxes checked. The CRT has a H23 hooked up to it with the same setting minus the 1080p since that box isn't 1080p compatible.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I'm not sure, because I'm in almost the same exact boat, having a Samsung LNT4069f and a Sony 34"XBR800, and I feel exactly the opposite. My LCD is way better than my CRT, and I had expected the opposite to be true. Now, perhaps when talking about SD, the CRT is a bit better, but mostly because I've gone into the service menu and tweaked the hell out of it. But as for HD content, there's no comparison for me: LCD is sharper, clearer, and certainly more "life-like". CSI Miami is a treat for the eyes, as is Fringe, even though the latter is 720p, and sports? Forget about it. Even though I'm not a hockey fan or a big basketball fan, it's like freaking being there. Football is fantastic as well, especially on CBS, but because of the distance between the camera and the action, it's not quite as mind-blowing as hockey or b'ball.

As good as the 970 (super-fine pixel or something like that, right?) is, I'm surprised your LCD doesn't blow it away.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by petesimac /forum/post/15542684

As good as the 970 (super-fine pixel or something like that, right?) is, I'm surprised your LCD doesn't blow it away.

Exactly, and there lies my confusion!

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
It's Super Fine Pitch. A Sony xbr970 doesn't have it.

LCD's have more pop and also possibly more saturated/vibrant colors, along with offering 1080p. That could be why blu ray's look better since they take advantage of the 1080p of an lcd tv.

I think the screen resolution of the 960 is 1080x1440, while the resolution of the 970 is less.

The signal of Directv hidef is not 1080p(could be wrong about that) and those LCD's are usually excellent at their native resolution of 1080p.

Just a guess...

·
Banned
18,829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPSU /forum/post/15542165

This question has been absolutely baffling me since I got Directv. Well, I can't blame Directv yet as I didn't own the LCD until I was a Directv subscriber. Anyway, I own two HDTV's. A Samsung LN-T4065f 1080 LCD HDTV, and a Sony XBR970 CRT HDTV. With Directv programming, my CRT absolutely blows away the LCD...no contest. However, with blu-ray movies, my LCD absolutely blows away the CRT. I can understand the LCD doing better with blu-rays, but why does Directv look SOOOO much better on the CRT? Is this normal? Am I doing something wrong? Anyone else have this experience?

You didn't say what you didn't like about the LCD picture on DTV. But I am guessing that you see more artifacts. Correct?

There are different explanations for that:

1. Your LCD unlike the CRT, resolves all the pixels sent to it by DTV. The CRT (in analog domain) filters out a lot of the artifacts created by video compression.

2. Your LCD is larger as someone noted, magnifying the above.

3. The DTV source is probably not sharp enough to compensate for above.

On the other hand, Blu-ray is generally artifact-free. This means that a pixel accurate display will show more of its resolution. And lacking artifacts, there is not much to fault the output.

Net, net, your observation is correct. You can try to turn down the sharpness control on your LCD all the way down and see if the picture is more pleasant with DTV.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I posted my recent experience with Directv HD in another thread, but I had Directv for about 4-5 hours before I canceled. The HD picture was just HORRIBLE compared to Comcast. So noticeable that my wife even pointed it out. I kept going back and forth comparing the two and the Directv HD channels looked very grainy, lacked color, and looked almost SD but correctly stretched if that makes sense. I did a little research and it looks like they are starting to down rez their HD to offer more HD channels. I made the decision to choose quality over quantity...I was really excited at first to get Directv and all of the HD channels and premium channels for such a low price, but just couldn't live with a HD picture that was lower quality that I've been used to for the last few years.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts