AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow when I turned on the Cubs/Astros game tonight I saw the 28/58 update scoreboard and it got me thinking wow maybe they are not showing a freaking bottom line the entire time during the game? BUZZZZZZZZZZZ

WRONG! We now are treated to both versions now, how F***ing neato! God I hate you ESPN but ha ha I love my partial zoom feature on my Dish receiver where it takes out the bottom line and I have a downrezzed Directv HD-Lite version of the game!'

Lastly you'd think if you have ESPN-HD on your provider you would also have ESPNnews, ESPN Classic and ESPN2 for scores? Naaaa we need the motherships anus filled with more scores!

·
Premium Member
48,895 Posts
Why does ESPN have an HD channel?

Probably for better reasons than we have another in a seemingly endless series of copycat "outraged" threads similar to this one.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
The fact that you even ask the question tells a lot about you.

·
Registered
124 Posts
There are real sports fans out there that actually want to know what is going on, and having to change the channel.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Boy, what a great thread! It got me thinking the following grandiose questions!

Why does ABC not show everything in HD?

Why does NBC not show everything in HD?

Why does Fox not show everything in HD?

Why does CBS not show everything in HD?

Why does HBO not show everything in HD?

Why does Showtime not show everything in HD?

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Here's another great question:

If a thread was started and no one read it, would it exist?

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Interesting.

The post goes on to talk about the 28:58 updates and the bottom line, neither of which relate to the existance of ESPN-HD

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Quote:
Why does ESPN have an HD channel?
Over 300 live HD events a year, that's why.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H
Over 300 live HD events a year, that's why.

Thank goodness. 300 is much better than 0. I like having ESPN HD.

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehren
Wow when I turned on the Cubs/Astros game tonight I saw the 28/58 update scoreboard and it got me thinking wow maybe they are not showing a freaking bottom line the entire time during the game? BUZZZZZZZZZZZ

WRONG! We now are treated to both versions now, how F***ing neato! God I hate you ESPN but ha ha I love my partial zoom feature on my Dish receiver where it takes out the bottom line and I have a downrezzed Directv HD-Lite version of the game!'

Lastly you'd think if you have ESPN-HD on your provider you would also have ESPNnews, ESPN Classic and ESPN2 for scores? Naaaa we need the motherships anus filled with more scores!

What are you talking about?. You should check first. D* does not lower resolution on ESPN. They reencode it but so does E*. None of 720p on D* are being lowered in resolution.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Think about your local bar and then maybe you can imagine why they think the bottom line is important to have on the HD channel.

·
Registered
605 Posts
NFL Sunday Night Football. The rest is gravey!!

·
Registered
169 Posts
EPSNHD should be renamed ESPN1/2HD, since half the time it is in SD, but you still have to pay for 100% for it. Why advertise and charge it as a HD channel when is is not full time HD like DiscoveryHD, or HDNET? My 2¢

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobwco
EPSNHD should be renamed ESPN1/2HD, since half the time it is in SD, but you still have to pay for 100% for it. Why advertise and charge it as a HD channel when is is not full time HD like DiscoveryHD, or HDNET? My 2¢
So showing enedless repeats 24x7 in HD is better than all those live big-time NFL, NBA, MLB, NCAA and other events? Not to me.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
I am beginning to wonder if the people that start threads like this even regularly watch ESPN anymore.

Thats because when I turn on ESPN-HD I am often watching something that is in HD. Sportscenter, NFL Live, Baseball tonight, 3 HD baseball games a week in HD, NFL pre-season game tonight in HD. College football each week.

I just don't get the complaints. Almost all of their live sports events are now in HD and almost all of their studio shows are in HD. What the hell more do people expect right now? They can't just magically make all the highlight clips turn into HD on their own.

My ONE AND ONLY beef with ESPN-HD right now is when they show SD highlights for a game that I know was in HD that night. For instance, I often finish watching the Cubs home games in HD and sure enough Sportscenter is showing crappy SD highlights. I don't know why it's so hard for them to get these highlights in HD from somewhere.

That is my only complaint with ESPN-HD right now and i'm begging Comcast to add ESPN2-HD soon. I hate missing the HD baseball and football games that they air on that channel each week.

·
Registered
17,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerriot
My ONE AND ONLY beef with ESPN-HD right now is when they show SD highlights for a game that I know was in HD that night. For instance, I often finish watching the Cubs home games in HD and sure enough Sportscenter is showing crappy SD highlights. I don't know why it's so hard for them to get these highlights in HD from somewhere.
It's not hard - it just sometimes costs more. Now that HD is still a luxury item, many outfits feel the need to charge extera for the rights to footage from HD events used in highlights by other broadcasters. As a result, not every HD event will get an HD treatment in highlight form, especially if it's not a "must-have" matchup (though even some of those may lose out if too much is being asked for the rights). Some broadcasters appear to have forgotten that highlights are supposed to be free.

Once essentially all live events are HD (due to older SD trucks being replaced by HD units as they are eventually retired), it won't be a luxury, but the standard. At that point, the "HD Tier" will all but disappear.

·
Registered
637 Posts
My disappointment with ESPN-HD has slowly been shifting away from their lack of HD content because they have improved.

Now I'm just bothered that they have that blasted ticker at the bottom and the fact that Sportscenter has become so boring that I don't even watch it any more. Too many human interest stories and boring segments where they ask sports figures dumb questions in some kind of game show format. I just stick with Baseball Tonight and similar shows that focus on the sport.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I couldn't even imagine how severe my disappointment in ESPN would be if i didn't have local HD channels broadcasting local teams, YES network and MSG Network.

It is VERY ANNOYING when a local team must appear on ESPN anything, HD or not.

Why do cable/sat operators allow ESPN to usurp 5-6 channels (espn, 2, classic, news, HD, HD2)? It is regretful.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
ESPN HD exists because there is HD content to show live in HD and an audience for it.

Truly If you expect a 24/7 HD channel it may take a while. And I don't include INHD, Hdnet, DiscoveryHD as 24/7. They show content 24/7 but tons of it it's repeated more than most peole can take it.

Would you still complain if you had the spots that are not HD filled with repeats of past games?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.