AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont know if it's my settings but regular cable HD does a better job with HD material than my playstation. I just got the Epson HC 720. It seems like the edges are not as sharp as say watching basketball on ESPN. I have the PS3 set to 720P, while some scenes look good, I was expecting more.

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
It will depend on which Blu-ray title you are watching. Just like DVD some movies look better than others. Also most HDTV is shot on video not film and has a different look to it. Check out this thread for the eye candy you are looking for.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=858316

By the way which Blu-ray were you viewing?

bguzman

·
Registered
4,436 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by makry /forum/post/15586291

I dont know if it's my settings but regular cable HD does a better job with HD material than my playstation. I just got the Epson HC 720. It seems like the edges are not as sharp as say watching basketball on ESPN. I have the PS3 set to 720P, while some scenes look good, I was expecting more.

Movies (regardless of BR or on Cable/Sat, etc.) will not look as good as Live HD. Live HD is HD at its best. You should find that a BR movie vs. the same movie in HD on TV will look better. But as the other poster said, all BR movies aren't created equal.

·
Registered
903 Posts
IMHO, I strongly disagree. I see compression artifacts in any scenes with fast motion in broadcasts, including OTA. Blu-ray does not have any noticeable artifacting that I can tell.

·
Registered
8,864 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickster904 /forum/post/15586603

BD is native 1080. Maybe the scaling to 720p is causing that?

Bingo ... some versions of the PS3 software are notoriously bad at scaling BD down to 720p .... Set the PS3 to output 1080i (or 1080p if the Epson will accept it.)

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
It's all in the source. TV HD is usually video-based HD while movies are film based HD. Video-based HD tends to be clear and bright while film based HD tends to have a lot of filters and processing added to blend elements and to achieve an ambiance as envisioned by the director and cinematographer. Film based HD can look choppy at 24 fps versus the 60 fps of video based HD.

So, what you are seeing is just the source material. In order to get a better idea about the differences, you need to view the SAME material on both TV and Blu-ray. I can guarantee you that Blu-ray will look much better than the TV broadcast.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged /forum/post/15586651

Bingo ... some versions of the PS3 software are notoriously bad at scaling BD down to 720p .... Set the PS3 to output 1080i (or 1080p if the Epson will accept it.)

Problem is the epson's scaler is crappy as well. Sending a 1080i/P maybe worse.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by makry /forum/post/15587523

The most complaints I see are related to the PS3 set to 720p. Try 1080 instead as suggested.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
imho if hdtv looks better there is something very wrong--hd is compressed and in my setup is far inferior to blu ray--to me good upscaled sddvds look as good or better than hdtv in general. i guess if both scale poorly maybe a dvdo edge/vp20/30/50 may help dramatically.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's not all bluerays. In general, the cartoons and anything pixar are excellent. Just some movies with scenes where images are smaller and darker scenes... mix material are great just not the darker scenes.

·
Registered
8,864 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by makry /forum/post/15587523

Or you could just try it and see instead of guessing.
Seriously, it only takes a couple of minutes.

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
I've set the ps3 to 1080i and 720p on a couple of 720p TV's, and they have all looked MUCH better at 1080i.

Hell, just use a 1920x1080 background on your ps3 (try one with a closeup of women's hair), and you'll see that the 1080i signal is sharper and clearer than the 720p signal. This is for a 720p tv. The ps3's scaler just works better for 1080i IMHO.

·
Registered
68 Posts
1080 is the way to go for PS3. I have a HD70 optoma - low-rent by todays standards for 720p front projection. Bluray blows away my Dish HD across the board. Not like going from 480i to 1080i type of jump - but very noticeable.

Side note, live sports is where 720p/1080i shines. Maybe your personal preference for the content is shading your opinion? I am hooked on HD sports at 100" diag, 12 feet away - my preference.

·
Banned
9,076 Posts
HDTV looks very good on both of my 720p projectors (Marantz VP-12S4 & Planar PD-7130), but HDTV does not look as good as BD. I use an 80 GB PS3 set to 720p. I mainly use the PS3 with the 12S4. I tried 720p and 1080i to the 12S4 and there was no difference so I left it on 720p to reduce the amount of scaling.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley /forum/post/15586420

Movies (regardless of BR or on Cable/Sat, etc.) will not look as good as Live HD. Live HD is HD at its best. You should find that a BR movie vs. the same movie in HD on TV will look better. But as the other poster said, all BR movies aren't created equal.

thats not true... a real hd bluray movie is better quality than any live hd tv....even uncompressed ota hd which at its best is only 1080i which some 720p tv's deinterlace to 540p before scaling up to 720p.....some movies just like some live hd content will look way better than others.....but nothing currently can beat a good real hd-dvd or Bluray movie.

edit i misread what you were saying and agree that some live hd content is filmed at a better resolution than some blu ray movies....mostly educational stuff like history channel content and such. but as far as quality of transfer to diplay the bluray/ hd-dvd has the advantage.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
Are you a film love? Or a sports lover?

I always think film looks better then video, but others? Not so much if at all feel that way.

Hard to say here. I'd certainly be setting the PS3 at 1080i, maybe it will help some.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg100 /forum/post/15833031

HDTV looks very good on both of my 720p projectors (Marantz VP-12S4 & Planar PD-7130), but HDTV does not look as good as BD. I use an 80 GB PS3 set to 720p. I mainly use the PS3 with the 12S4. I tried 720p and 1080i to the 12S4 and there was no difference so I left it on 720p to reduce the amount of scaling.

I agree Blu ray always looked better on my hd70 and now hd65 than ota hd or dish networks highly compressed low quality hd channels.

As an experiment switch between the 720p and 1080i modes on your projector if its a 720p projector you'll likely find that 720p looks the clearest and sharpest...all digital tv's have to deinterlace any interlaced signal and on many 720p tv's its deinterlaced to an inferior 540p (you actually lose 180 lines of resolution by using 1080i instead of 720p)....1080p is handled totally different.....as well as 480i which is deinterlaced to 480p before scaling....this is easy to see if you have an optoma projector as you just have to select native to see what you actually feeding the projector before scaling it to fit the screens panel....1080i is exactly 540p pixels high and 1080p it too large to fit in the whole screen....but both 480i (deinterlaced) and 480p are shown as 480p before scaling...the other thing is if your 720p actually deinterlaced to 1080p before scaling you would notice the same blurred filmlike look of 1080p pixels crammed (software interpolated)onto 1280 x 720p pixels....some 720p set do this and some dont....if it looks better in 1080i than 720 on ps3 its likely the fault of bad firmware on the ps3....

·
Registered
3 Posts
It might just be framerates. Anything of similar quality at a higher framerate will look clearer. 24FPS just is a little low to be truly immersive without things like motion blur. Video originated materials can have a higher framerate, 30p, 60p, 60i.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts