AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an Barco Data 801s and it runs perfect for hours then snaps out of convergence for no reason? If I turn it off and on with the Standby button, it regains convergence as if nothing happened? Any ideas? Does it store convergence on a chip like the ECP? If so should I change this chip?

·
Registered
968 Posts
It sounds like the projector is losing its recognition of the scan frequencies and thus the memory block its using. The next time it does it again try changing the input selection and then return to the input you were using. For example, if you're using input 5 then switch to 1 on the keypad and then back to 5 and see if it reconverges back to normal.

What kind of input/source are you using? Composite, s-video, RGB?

What the projector does is matches the scan frequencies of the video signal it detects with a memory block and uses those settings for everything including convergence.

Mark

·
Registered
18,501 Posts
You might have a ground loop in the system. Disconnect everything except for your signal source and the projector. get rid of any audio connections, in fact pull out your source from a rack setup if you have one and run it on the same AC outlet as the projector. See if it does it then and report back.

Curt

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll try the different input as soon as I can. I'm using an RGBS source connected to input 4. It is all my rgb stuff (NEC IDC-2000 line doubler, computer through Extron RGB109 PLUS, Dish 6000 HDTV through a second RGB 109PLUS) routed through an Electrohome ECP switcher. I was hoping to use my new(to me) Extron Matrix switcher, but I can't figure out how to control it.

Curt, do ground loops occur because your stuff is all on one AC line? I'm pretty sure I have all my sources connected to one plug. I know this sounds silly, but the previous owner did all the basement plugs himself, and boy did he screw it up! With one of those little three prong plug testers, I couldn't find an outlet in the basement wired properly, so I added a new one directly into a spare spot in the fuse box with a hospital grade Hubbel duplex receptacle. I use a Panamax line conditioner(surge protector) and have all my stuff plugged into this or the second Panamax using the same outlet. The only stuff I plug into the crappy outlets are things like my wireless keyboard, or my IR re-emitter. I'm pretty sure all my sources and my projector are ultimately plugged into the same line.

BTW the suggestion of pulling out my source and changing the plug was really funny!! You should see my pile, its almost as bad (probably worse actually) as the glimpses of your living room we see in the backgrounds of your projector pictures!

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok this problem with the convergence suddenly snapping out of exitstence happened twice tonight on two different sources. On the computer, when I switched from input "4" to input "3" and back again, when I came back to input "4" the picture was converged like normal, When it happened and I was using BEV 6000 HDTV signal, and switched from "4" to "3" and back again, it had no effect. When I turned it from Standby on to Standby off, it came back on with all convergence back to normal. Maybe it was just coincidence, but when I was fine tuning the red electronic focus, I heard an electrical snap, and that is when the first instance of lost convergence happened. Any more ideas on the cause of this intermittent problem? I checked the plugs of all my gear and its all on the same single ac line.

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does anyone have an opinion on this intermittent occurance? I'm not too concernced about it, but I'd love to have it working perfecty if I could.

·
Registered
18,501 Posts
If you have a HV arc, then yes, the convergence memories go into spasms. Check the HV quad, splitter and the tubes.

Curt

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the lead, can I prevent these by adding silicone coating to the HV leads and top of the splitter?

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Curt, Thanks for the HV arc suggestion, I wrapped a couple of spots that were suspect on the leads coming from the focus block and the HV generator itself with insulating wrap rated at 15,000volts. Its the highest rated insulating wrap I could find. Tonight I have run the pj for about 6 hours straight and the snap out of convergence hasn't occurred. Also, maybe just my imagination, but the convergence oveall seems to be more stable now too, and I haven't heard any snapply cracks from the cabinet.

Thanks Curt for the help, I think it solved the problem.

How come no one mentioned how super quiet these things are? This thing is amazing, it makes less noise than my computer, line doubler, or even my monitor! I thought NEC's were quiet, but this thing is the new standard.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.