AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some reason the sound from my ASUS PC connected to the AVR is inferior to my BluRay player.

The PC is connected to a Pioneer Elite receiver via HDMI. If I play music files they sound OK, but not as good as the same files bunt to a CD and played on a Pioneer Elite BD player. The BD player sound is excellent. The PC sound , on the other hand, lacks punch and imaging. Both use the same AVR , same speakers and 1000W sub

As I understand it I dont need an external DAC because my Pioneer Elite AVR has one. I also dont need an expensive audio/video card because the PC feeds the sound via HDMI, it bypasses the card (BTW it is GEFORCE GTX 550ti).

Questions:

1) Why is the PC sound flat?

2) How can I improve it?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador  /t/1520293/why-does-my-asus-pc-outputs-bad-sound-via-hdmi-to-the-avr#post_24423710

Have you tried using wasapi on your media player?

You mean on my ASUS Mediaserver? No, have not tried it. What does wasapi do and how can it improve audio output to AVR? Is wasapi a software or hardware?

Thanks al ot

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Wasapi is run on your media player like foobar2000. Its an audio renderer that needs to be supported by the media player, I think jriver also supports wasapi. What it does is bypass windows audio mixer and doesn't get resampled. With wasapi you'll be able to send the audio untouched to your receiver.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does Wasapi support 192kHz 24bit signals? Where can I download it?

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Videolan's VLC 2.1.3. I found the WASABI plugin for Foobar. The trouble with Foobar is that it does not play audio files I have - *.dtshd. These are SACDs or regular CDs remastered in 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio. Surround audio files. Here are the properties of one of them:

And here is the stereo to surround remastering process:

ALthough I have a lot of respect for Foobar, it doesn't play *.dtshd.

VLC media player is the only software in the world that does. Is there a WASABI download for it?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts