AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Denon LA2300 laser disk / cd player connected to my new Denon 3802 via analog l&r connection. I also have a cheap (non-progressive) Toshiba dvd player connected by coax digital connection.

I find that for playing cd's in two channel, I get a better sound from the dvd player. The laser disk sounds muddied and flat in comparison.

My question is simply why? When I brought the laser disk a few years ago, the salesman was raving about the burr brown dacs in it and how it was such a great cd player. I now find my $200 dvd player wipes the floor with it.

Are the dacs in the 3802 better than those in my laser disk? If I get a dedicated cd player with digital output, will it sound any better than my dvd player - ie. is it worth buying a dedicated cd player?

???

·
Registered
321 Posts
Since your "cheap" DVD player is connected via digital coax, you are bypassing its DACS (the DVD unit is serving as a CD "transport" only) and are using the DACS in your new Denon 3802, which may very well be better than those in a several-years-old laser disc player.

So the performance comparison is between the DACs in your receiver vs. those in the laser disc player. And being newer, the Denon is beneficiary of "trickle down" technology, meaning even though it is not the most expensive gear on the market, it may well perform better than some of the top-of-the-line gear from just a few years ago. Your laser disc player is several years old. As good as its DACS may have been for their time, technology does march on and leaves some older equipment behind!

Burke

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, that's the way I was thinking also.

Would it therefore mean that newer cd players would have better dacs than the laser disk and even the 3802? Its just that the improvement in performance from the analog laser disk to cheap dvd has me thinking what further music improvements I can make to my modest system.....

·
Registered
726 Posts
I think it would be better to compare like with like connectors. Try the analog outs of both units, or the digital outs of both units. It could very well be the reciever being different, as your comparisons do nothing to rule that out.

I don't know if it is worth getting a separate CD player. If you would be playing it using the digital audio jack, I think the only reason to do so from a sound quality perspective is if you can hear the effects of jitter. I don't know if I can, and I am happy using the DVD player for CD playback. I did buy a CD-only player, but mostly for the mega-changing capability, a Sony 300 disc changer, jitter really didn't enter my decision.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.