AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I am watching cable (which is really my sony VCR being used as a tuner, connected to the Iscan), the picture is pulsing (it gets darker and then lighter). It does not seem to happen with the DVD source, and it was not visable when I hooked up another tv.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Check your H-move to make sure you're not right on the edge, which pushes a little of the image into blanking area. Being right on the fringe can cause high gain changes to cause a little blanking or darkening of the picture.

Mike

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mike,

I will check this when I get home.

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
I don't know if it has any bearing on anything, but I thought I read somewhere that DVDO's had a lot of trouble with the signal from VHS VCR's? Something about the time based corretion not being right? Could this be the issue here?

·
Registered
18,501 Posts
Also, check the fast/slow sync button and maybe try combining the H/V sync lines into the H/V input with a T connector.

Curt

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As per mike's suggestion, I checked the h and v move and all was OK.

It only happens with the VCR and hence, cable. I tried multiple DVD's and it did not pulse.

How do I use the slow/fast synch???

Thanks all for your help.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This problem has not gone away. I have tested another VCR and it did the same thing. When watching a VCR movie (yes I still have some oldies) it does the same thing. I tried the t-connector and it had no effect. So I'm thinking that its the Iscan. Anybody have any thoughts.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No response. I'm sure somebody has some knowledge about this issue.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Which version of the DVDO do you have? I had V1 on 4101 for about 6 months without any problems(DVD and DSS). I then upgraded to a CI scaler for a better picture. I am assuming you have tried the same input for the VCR/Cable as you have used for the DVD. Your description of the problem is what you would see for a macrovison issue. When I bought my CRT and doubler, the HT guy gave me a macrobuster, but I did not need it because I did not have the problem. It may be worth a try....

--Andy Garabedian

P.S. Home Theater Systems in Massachusetts has had a lot of experience with Electrohome. You may want to contact them via their www.hometheater1.com website.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I guess that the problem is the *MACROVISION* protection.

it happened everytime, when I tried to create an "organized" HT environment, using the DVD output fitted into the VCR input, and then, the VCR output to the pj.

Always the same thing, a continous (slow) fluctuating brightness of the image...

Sob!

:(

Romano

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
It can't be Macrovision if he is using the tuner of the VCR. I understand from the post that it is happening while watching cable...not VCR tapes.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Check to see if you're banging into beam limit - your contrast and brightness should be around 5 to 6 max - don't get anywhere close to 10 as that's purley an arbitrary scale. 7 - 10 on either of those settings could mean the PJ is clamping down on bright scenes, then on darker scenes lighting back up a little. Back 'em down to see if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Mike,

I will try that when I get home.

Karim

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is not a macrovision issue. In fact the DVD plays fine, its the VCR and TV cable that the issue. I am using the latest version of the DVDO Iscan (the on with all the video adjustments). The VCR is directly connected to the Iscan via rca, while the DVD is component out.

I will try the suggestions and get back to you all tomorrow.

Thanks

Karim

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Yes, guys.

I wrongly tought that Karim noticed the problem playing a DVD connected thru the VCR to the pj...

obviously, in the other case, it is clearly not a Marcovision problem...

Romano

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I spoke to my sales rep who told me that the problem is with the Iscan. I have since decided that the Iscan is quite what I wanted, so I'm now trying to figgure out if I want a dedicated scaler or a HTPC. Still working on that one. But thanks for all your help guys. And for anybody with this problem, its your Iscan unit (or any of the things that Mike told me to check!)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Sorry to hear your Iscan is the problem. I upgraded from the V1 of the Iscan to a CI. The system worked fine except I had to install a RGBVH card that allowed me to terminate one side. Don't ask me why this was a problem, but my original dual input card had a sync problem only with the CI. It worked(s) fine with the DVDO, Sony HD100, and a computer. After resolving the problem with the input card, I have had no problems with the CI and 4100. Even my ISF tech who did the calibration was impressed with this setup.

---Andy Garabedian

·
Registered
174 Posts
This is a known problem with the iScan Pro. Check this thread for more information. A fixed microcontroller is available from Silicon Image that clears this right up.

---

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.