AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something I find extremely annoying about WNBC NY4- the east coast flagship of NBC:


They have the NBC weather Plus Sub-Channel like all the O&O’s. EVERY stinking newscast the weatherman puts up a graphic that aims people to the weather plus channel by telling them to watch it on two of the local cable companies. But they never once bother to say- “Or receive it completely for free with your Digital Over The Air Tuner on 4-2†They take the time to do the plug but never take the extra 3 seconds to let the unwashed masses know that it exists for free OTA.


Talk about a lost opportunity to show people the possibilities of digital TV.


It’s Infuriating. They are blowing a perfect opportunity to educate the public about digital TV while at the same time giving themself a plug.


People without the 2 cable companies they mention assume the channel doesn’t exist. I know perhaps they miss ratings for OTA viewers but wouldn’t it be better if uncounted people watched it so when Nielsen gets their act together NBS doesn’t have to then steal the people away from the weather channel?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
35,983 Posts
It doesn't make sense. I watched an Industry Insider show on HDNet yesterday where one of the panelists was Gary Shapiro of CEA, and he kept pounding on the point that there is little to none as far as PSA's or any sort on on-air announcements about digital TV from broadcasters. He said that the broadcasters are doing next to nothing about helping themselves and educating their OTA viewers about OTA digital TV...and what NBC is doing in NY seems to confirm that.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
18,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelk
It’s Infuriating. They are blowing a perfect opportunity to educate the public about digital TV while at the same time giving themself a plug.
This happens everywhere. And the biggest reason I can find is that DTV isn't in the sphere of experience for most televsion station workers. In other words, THEY don't have it, their FRIENDS don't have it ..so they assume nobody else does, either. (example: Two years ago, I asked a station MARKETING DIRECTOR about HDTV and he said the number of people in the whole city who could see it was "in the tens.")


While I can't speak for WNBC, more than a few television stations have NO HDTV monitors anywhere but the lobby (if there) and hardly anyone who works for the station has one. You laugh, but I've found myself explaining DTV to television station promotion directors. So, if the people responsible for the promotions that go ON a television station don't have any clue about it, they certainly won't write it into any promotions the station is doing.


And, to mgt, DTV is often considered a government-imposed PITA that sucks budget dollars. Not a lot of GMs who get a thrill from feeding the beast. Suffice it to say the prevailing opinion of DTV by TV stations isn't the same as the way WE feel about it.


Doc
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That’s a whole ‘nother thread….


If they are going to have it- then they should promote the darn thing. It makes no sense.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelk
They have the NBC weather Plus Sub-Channel like all the O&O’s. EVERY stinking newscast the weatherman puts up a graphic that aims people to the weather plus channel by telling them to watch it on two of the local cable companies.
Probably part of the agreement between cable cos and NBC ... cable cos agree to carry channel ... NBC agrees to plug cable. Otherwise ... they probably wouldn't even mention it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelk
Something I find extremely annoying about WNBC NY4- the east coast flagship of NBC:


They have the NBC weather Plus Sub-Channel like all the O&O’s. EVERY stinking newscast the weatherman puts up a graphic that aims people to the weather plus channel by telling them to watch it on two of the local cable companies. But they never once bother to say- “Or receive it completely for free with your Digital Over The Air Tuner on 4-2†They take the time to do the plug but never take the extra 3 seconds to let the unwashed masses know that it exists for free OTA.


Talk about a lost opportunity to show people the possibilities of digital TV.


It’s Infuriating. They are blowing a perfect opportunity to educate the public about digital TV while at the same time giving themself a plug.


People without the 2 cable companies they mention assume the channel doesn’t exist. I know perhaps they miss ratings for OTA viewers but wouldn’t it be better if uncounted people watched it so when Nielsen gets their act together NBS doesn’t have to then steal the people away from the weather channel?
When our locals weather guys get on that sub channel "Weather Plus" they always mention "digital channel 5-2." I think this is a local issue with your affiliate being faily clueless. Hell, I read an article in the Seattle Times last summer concerning the Greek Olympics in HD, and the lady who wrote the article didn't even know what DTV was or that you could get HDTV for free!!!


This stuff just hasn't quite caught on completely, but it will give it time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I just think if they take 12 seconds to plug a couple cable providers why not take 3 more seconds and sell the channel to all your viewer? . If they are giving cable a ‘payback’ then clearly they see some value in their sub-channel being carried and want people to see it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawn
When our locals weather guys get on that sub channel "Weather Plus" they always mention "digital channel 5-2." I think this is a local issue with your affiliate being faily clueless. Hell, I read an article in the Seattle Times last summer concerning the Greek Olympics in HD, and the lady who wrote the article didn't even know what DTV was or that you could get HDTV for free!!!


This stuff just hasn't quite caught on completely, but it will give it time.
Since my local affiliate is the flagship O&O I find it funny that they are clueless. ( not surprising- just funny)
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
18,525 Posts
When DTV is all they have, they'll promote it like it's a cure for cancer.


Doc
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelk
Well I just think if they take 12 seconds to plug a couple cable providers why not take 3 more seconds and sell the channel to all your viewer?
Because the weather guy is just reading what's on the teleprompter ... the guy who put it on the teleprompter is just doing what the station manager told him he had to do ... the station manager is just doing what NBC lawyers told him he had to do ...


I agree that someone along the chain should have thought to do some self-promotion at the same time ...


I'm just saying that my hunch is that they wouldn't be doing anything if they weren't obligated to do so somewhere ... so they end up doing exactly what they're obligated to do (and nothing more ... and nothing less) ... as is often the case in many companies when you get a memo from the legal department. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelk
They have the NBC weather Plus Sub-Channel like all the O&O’s. EVERY stinking newscast the weatherman puts up a graphic that aims people to the weather plus channel by telling them to watch it on two of the local cable companies. But they never once bother to say- “Or receive it completely for free with your Digital Over The Air Tuner on 4-2†They take the time to do the plug but never take the extra 3 seconds to let the unwashed masses know that it exists for free OTA.
On the NBC O&O in Chicago (WMAQ) they mention that Weather Plus in on their high defintion (sometimes they also say digital vs. HD) channel 5.2, plus on what channel the two cable companies in the area carry it on. Our ABC channel has a weather channel on one of their subchannels and never say a single word about it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon
This happens everywhere.

Doc


Not true. When WYFF-DT in Greenville, SC added this channel they specifically directed people to the cable channel and the OTA channel. They are not an O&O.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
18,525 Posts
Sorry. By "everywhere" I didn't mean every single station. Certainly there are exceptions. But, by and large, you'll find more ignore it than promote it.


Doc
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
I've notified by Email the local San Diego NBC station twice to add the digital reference in addition to the cable channels. The first time, the weatherman did indeed add it verbally that evening. I haven't heard it since, although I've sent another note. With more push from the stations, more people would purchase the newer sets and we'd have an increase in HD broadcasts. I guess it is just going to take more time time than any of us want to allow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
I just started getting HDTV in Chicago. I now see that once you use this service for a short time you can't go back easily. Regular TV looks like Stone-Age material.


I think it's a word of mouth thing.


"You HAVE to get this thing"


Demand goes up, then all the greedy bastards start moving it all along.


Right now, th government has made it seem like a major NON-money making prospect.

You can always leave it to the gov to *** things up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon
When DTV is all they have, they'll promote it like it's a cure for cancer.


Doc


funny!


I'm afraid true, but funny none the less.



dt-dc -


I'm following you its the bare minimum that some one told them to do, but you'd think that since the flipping news headquarters and east coast stuff is based in the same complex at Rockafeller (sp?) Center that maybe some higher up with a brain would be watching the local news and think 'hmmm maybe we want to get this stupid transition over so we dont have to waste money duplicating an analog and digital plant'.


Maybe the sales staff would think- "Hmmm lets try to steal some of the weather channel viewers right away so that when we can charge for those ads they have some value"


I mean there has to be some vlaue to promote it and I'm shocked not a single mucky muck sees a vlaue to it. There's a 50/50 shot the person who came up with the idea for the weatehr plus channel sits in the building and you'd think he/she would want them to advertise it for prode's sake. (maybe that person is in LA- it would be interesting to see what KNBC is doing...)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,393 Posts
WLWT-DT, NBC Cincinnati is another one that promotes Weather-Plus(and quite often) as being available via it's digital OTA station ... Its at the bottom of the list below the cableco's, and it, and the staff say "or digital broadcast channel 5.2"(that's the PSIP remapped Virtual channel of course) .... Certianly, an exception to the rule compared to other stations in this and nearby markets ...


WLWT is owned by Hearst-Argyle - My understanding is that one of the hearst "higher-ups" played some sort of role with NBC in the creation of weatherplus ..


Unfortuently, I've not seen anything from them that mentions NBC HD is available on 5.1 ...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
996 Posts
All three stations in my market promote the hell out of their digital stations.

KFDM our local CBS affiliate does a great job. Stating many times a day that HD signals are being broadcast to your house for free! They even tell you what you need to get it.

Of course this is the only way people can see it anyway, because they want to charge the cable company to put the singal on their network.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,154 Posts
In L.A., I've never seen any sort of promotion of the digital stations except once: when KABC was promoting their HD news copter. But, I don't remember if they actually mentioned how you could watch the HD footage, only that they had an HD chopper and how cool it was. Whoopie!
 
1 - 20 of 56 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top