AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to find a used (read cheap) projector that doesn't use expensive light bulbs. So far the only projector I've been able to find that meets this criteria is the 3M MP8610-it uses a (400w IIRC) Xeon bulb which lasts 1500-2000 hours and costs under $150. I'm assuming the (relatively) low cost for the bulb of this unit is due to it being a Xeon bulb instead of a Metal-Halide bulb. I guess my question is this-why does no one else use Xeon bulbs? That is the ONLY projector I've been able to find that uses a Xeon bulb-is there some downside to them? Why does the rest of the industry (and even the rest of 3M's projectors) use Metal-Halide bulbs when they cost so much more? While I didn't have anything to directly compare it to, the MP8610 threw a respectable picture-I was happy enough with it.

So, is there some reason I'm missing-why does no one else use Xeon bulbs? Are there any other projects out there that do?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Eric, I'm confused. Do you mean Xenon? If so, I doubt they would be any less expensive. BTW, Projector Central and 3M both show the 8610 as using a metal halide bulb. Regarding xenons, I'd say they aren't used because they are basically just older technology and less efficient up to a point. If I'm not mistaken though, some of the large venue digitals do use Xenons.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I meant Xenon. I didn't mean a microprocessor :) I don't know-I guess the places I was looking listed the MP8610 as a Xenon-the bulb is rather different than most projector bulbs I've seen-it's just a glass tube with a contact on each end and a bulge in the middle. No reflectors or anything. Regardless, why is this bulb so much cheaper than most others?

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Unless you are using a unit in a commercial type situation, and the bulb is on 14 hrs. for 7 days a week (bar, business, etc.) bulb issues are NOT a critical factor in purchasing a a PJ. Newer PJ's have soft start functionality, etc, which are starting to lengthen the lifespan of bulbs dramatically. Notice the virtual doubling of bulb life ratings in the past 2 years or so. the bulb costs are dropping as well. Bulbs are going to be a moot issue soon, relatively speaking. To me, bulbs are already a non-issue.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I looked up the bulb for the 3M projector. First place was $159. Why so cheap for a 400W metal halide I don't know. Long time ago, I used slide and film projectors that had 500, 750 and 1000watt xenon bulbs. They were anything but cheap. Normally, they were about $1.50 per watt. So, you want bright, just use a 1kw xenon - just get ready to pony up $1500 for a new lamp. Ouch!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Haha... I thought with the Xeon bulb the heat and pricing finally made sense. I didn't realize those Intel chips put out light also :D Only now do I realize you are talking about Xenon bulbs. Ahh well, back to wondering why they are so expensive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.