AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, I am at a lose here. I am finishing up my theater and the seats and bar are the last things, I deceided last night I was going to get some klipsch s-2's to replace my 4 kenwoods I am using for the 4 rear channels(7.1). the problem is when I hooked up the first on I had transformers playing, I stood in middle of the room between them and it was like the kenwood sounded good and I could barely hear the klipsch.

I proceeded to hang the other 4 and sat down, it was like watching a different movie cause the rears could barely be heard. I turned those channels all the way up to 12db where they were on 4db and still the same. if I crank the receiver up every once in a while I do here something coming through them but nothing like my 15 year old POS kenwoods.

my receiver is a ONKYO 805 I just got a month ago which is suppost to be 130watts a channel. my kenwoods I could hear crickets and birds chirping from my chair but not with these unless you are up at the speaker? I wonder why this is or is it normal with higher end speakers? thanks for any enlightenment.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I have that receiver and went for the Reference Series of Klipsch, sounded much better to me than the S-line I home-auditioned. Honestly worth the extra money if you can do it, especially since it was only an extra $150 for floors (RF-82), and I think $240 for 4 rears (RS-42).

·
Registered
120 Posts
The S-line is really only for surrounds. If you want a musical surround speaker, I think you will have to go with a bookshelf. The B2, B3, or Reference bookshelves will better suit your needs.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codes20 /forum/post/12994748

The S-line is really only for surrounds. If you want a musical surround speaker, I think you will have to go with a bookshelf. The B2, B3, or Reference bookshelves will better suit your needs.

thanks yall, they are being used for all 4 rear surrounds in a 7.1 system. I tested them again last night and the same thing. its like I have to crank the volume up to here them. I wonder if it is because the klipsh requires more power or something?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i did it manual from the get go. i didnt like the way it had the levels set. right now the rears are cranked up all the way to 12db and its still the same.

·
Registered
42 Posts
maybe...just maybe...the old kenwoods DO sound better than the new klipsch speakers...

trust your ears...

(and return the klipsh's; refinish the kenwood's)

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
Dude those Klipsch S-2s are crummy little 7 pound speakers..

Size matters ... big time. How big and hefty are your Kenwoods?

Also, larger cabinets are more efficient, especially with lower frequencies. So some big boxy Kenwoods will be much more efficent, and produce better bass response, than dinky speakers.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
no man, these are little POS kenwood's that came with a 5.1 system. they have a 5 an a quarter and a tweet and thats it, and can be hung on the wall and small. thats what I dont understand.

·
Registered
292 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudcon /forum/post/13005929

no man, these are little POS kenwood's that came with a 5.1 system. they have a 5 an a quarter and a tweet and thats it, and can be hung on the wall and small. thats what I dont understand.

I'm running RB-81's as my surrounds and let me tell you, ain't no softness to those babies!!!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadbury8 /forum/post/13007174

here are the specs on the klipsh s-2

S-2 Specifications
frequency response 83Hz - 23kHz +/-3dB

power handling 100 w (400 w peak)

sensitivity 91dB @ 2.83 volts/1 meter

nominal impedance 8 ohms

crossover frequency 2500Hz

tweeter Two 1 (2.5cm) aluminum dome tweeters

high frequency horn 2 x 5 (12.7cm) 90 x 60 Tractrix Horns

woofer 5.25 (13.3cm) woofer

enclosure type Sealed (WDST)

dimensions 6.85 (17.4cm) x 14.3 (36.3cm) x 5.5 (13.9cm)

mounting Keyhole Bracket

weight 7lbs. (3.2kg)

built from 2004

the lowest these speakers are going to go is 83 hz. but i dont have the graph to see the db dip at this freq. which could be the main problem. so i would just say the they will only go down to about 100 hz. that would mean good bye bass for starters.

now if you could post your make model kenwood we can see what the specs are for those speakers and compare them.

hey, thanks for trying to help me. how did you get the specs on the klipsch? oh course I will leave it up to you to tell me if thats good cause its all chinese to me..LOL the model # on one of the rear kenwoods says

KS-401HT rear speaker R I did a google and the KS-401HT I guess is the whole set #.

·
Registered
5,107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudcon /forum/post/13003627

i did it manual from the get go. i didnt like the way it had the levels set. right now the rears are cranked up all the way to 12db and its still the same.

I couldn't figure out what you were using as your front 3 speakers, but first I wouldn't mix and match Klipsch and Kenwood (2 completely different designed speakers). The Klipsch S-2 has 2 horn tweeters and uses WDST technology to disperse the surround sound (and is basically an entry level speaker). The Kenwood is a Direct Radiating speaker, although the spl at your listening position should be calibrated to get the same metered results {EDIT: and I would think the Klipsch would be louder from the getgo if they are near the same size}.

The second thing is if you are setting it up by ear instead of using your Audyssey or an SPL meter I question the accuracy of your results.

Thirdly, I agree something could be wrong in the chain leading up to the speaker.

I don't know your budget, but you appear to have a beefy amp (I am curious to see how the Onkyo AVRs pan out) and are hooking up lower end speakers. I would concentrate on your front 3 speakers and find surrounds to match them (with the caveat above). Good Luck.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i have klispch fronts too(f3's), that is why I was going with the rears. I am doing it in stages as I can afford it.

·
Registered
5,107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudcon /forum/post/13023090

i have klispch fronts too(f3's), that is why I was going with the rears. I am doing it in stages as I can afford it.

If you have the F-3s up front then the S-2 would work better than the Kenwoods and should be louder out of the box. If not, imo something else is going on in your setup. Good luck and I agree with staying in budget .

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudcon /forum/post/13023090

oops, I just realized my mistake in another thread, my fronts are rf3's not f3's, they are reference speakers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts