AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I posted this on the "voided warranty" thread, but it may remain hidden there. Question: why are the following controls "hidden" in the Sammy service menu in the first place: R-G-B gain, and Gamma? It makes no sense to me. When I buy an audio receiver, I expect to be able to manipulate the treble and bass controls to meet my listening desires. Who'd buy a receiver that hid those?! What sounds good to my ear may not sound good to you...but that's life! When I buy a TV, I expect to be able to manipulate the RGB control to meet my viewing desires. What's the harm in letting the public manipulate these particular settings? You can always have a "reset" button that resets to factory settings. And why hide the Firmware version??

Samsung should add these controls to the picture adjustment menu.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I would actually like three levels of menus:

1. Those which are not hidden at all and anyone can easily figure out how to access them and change them (including kids, spouse, guests, etc.) On/off, source, channel, and volume are obvious ones, maybe brightness and contrast as well.

2. Those that are hidden from obvious view but are not harmful to the continuing functioning of the set (RGB gains and other user tweaks seem like good ones)

3. Truly hidden Service Menu type items that the manufacturer feels could easily be abused by the untrained.

This would give me the ability to let my family play with #1, keep #2 locked away so they don't mess with my tweaks, and the mfg's lawyers can be happy with #3.

Bill

·
Registered
4,598 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BKanter
When I buy an audio receiver, I expect to be able to manipulate the treble and bass controls to meet my listening desires. Who'd buy a receiver that hid those?!
I would, and have. A NAIM NAC-32 preamp. All it has is a volume control, an input selector, plus balance and tape monitor controls. No equalization controls at all. I also have an Arcam AVR200 surround receiver that has a button allowing you to bypass the bass/treble controls. I always use the bypass.

All that bass/treble does is add distortion to the source signal. If it doesn't sound right flat then either the source isn't very good, or the source device (CD Player, Turntable, etc) is crappy, or you don't have good enough interconnect cables.

Anyway, if you're referring to the Sammy DLPs, they have the controls you speak of in the service menu, but nort the user menu. I've adjusted my Gamma setting from factory default of 4 to 0. I also had my set ISF calibrated with adjustments to RGB gain.

Dean

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree completely! Don't give me access to controls that could cause harm to my set. Don't hide noncritical adjustments with those that can cause permanent injury. This, it seems to me, is rather basic engineering design.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dean, there may be a group of "purists" (not using this in a pejorative sense) like yourself out there...for the rest of us, we like to make adjustments. If you don't want to touch the controls, so be it.

2nd: I know the Sammy DLP adjustments are in the SM...I've adjusted them already. The question is: why hide them?

·
Registered
845 Posts
If you were a TV manufacturer, I bet you would figure it out real quick. I think that they offer way too many controls as it is. It's just like most of those DSP settings on cheap receivers, lame. There is one proper setting for color video, all the user needs, is the front 5, or in most cases, 4. These are settings that can change according to source. The service menu items are to be set and left alone. I can just imagine the amount of calls that would be coming in to customer service. To my knowledge, only commercial monitors offer these in the user menu, like many of the plasma's that got their roots in the commercial world.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not sure what you're talking about Seth. NonHD sets offer "tint" control routinely...the only way to access such a basic feature on the Sammy is through the service menu.

·
Registered
845 Posts
The Sammy's offer a tint control in the user menu too.

·
Registered
213 Posts
How about the firmware version? Why would a manufacturer ever put the firmware version on a hidden screen? So they can eat the cost of sending a service tech out to the TV's location just to find out the version of firmware installed?

Ludicrous IMO...

Marc

·
Registered
845 Posts
There is no Tint in the component realm, technically.

I am not sticking up for everything that Samsung does, I am just happy to see that they are very serious about competing in the American market, and they have listened to our voices by bringing out modifications we deem necessary for their product. Compare that with Mitsubishi, who has made it all but impossible for the consumer to fix their red push. Only the daring calibrator/DIYer and his I2C kit can really overcome it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.