AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedongtea /forum/post/17006625

Been looking at quite a few people's settings for the G10 and noticed that the majority of people including CNET (THX mode) have sharpness pretty high.

That is a bit strange, but the Sharpness setting doesn't really change the picture much at all anyway. I just split the difference at +50

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I, too, am a bit confused with the whole sharpness issue. After ISF calibration, the sharpness setting on my Panasonic PZ65850U is at 41. My calibrator had me watch as he ran the sharpness test and I could see the changes as he ran through the numbers and it did look best at this number. Why, I have no idea.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/17006789

That is a bit strange, but the Sharpness setting doesn't really change the picture much at all anyway. I just split the difference at +50

This isn't exactly true. What I have noticed under close scrutiny is that the sharpness does do a little something. Just not the way people expect.

I put some small Thin sharp type on screen on tv and paused. Then jacked sharpness down and up. What I saw was that staircasing in letters like an "N" got softer and sharper. I also noticed that 50 was the point where the staircasing in the letter was muted just enough to lose the effect but still be sharp. I settled on 48 as I sit only aroun 9-10 foot off of a 54.

I am also extremly upset how the sharpness works as Vivid works as sharpness should. While the set is awesome it needs at the very least further explaination of why crap works in one mode and not others. IMO it really needs the settings of things like sharpness and contrast adjust of THX fixed.

This test was done with noise reduction block noise or mosquito noise setting all to off.

In answer to the OP 0 on one set can be 50 on another can be 75 on another can be -30 on another. A number is just a number.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Sharpness does do something, but on pannys it doesnt change as much as on others due to the way they have set it. ITs actually edge enhancement. Too high and you get artificial edges that arent actually there. If you lower it and a black edge to a white letter goes away thats positive.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
On my Panasonic, jacking up the sharpness makes very little difference....however on my dads Philips lcd it puts an outline of sorts (kind of like edge enhancement on dvd's Blu-ray) around people and objects.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
There is a neutral point with Sharpness that anything above causes edge enhancement/artificial sharpness -- this neutral point is different with some brands. Most people keep the sharpness at or just over the neutral point. For my Samsung LCD, the neutral point is 0; but with my old Hitachi CRT RP, this point was around 40. It's possible that the neutral point is closer to 40-50 with the G10 and going below it might actually be softening the image.

I'm not sure this is a proven fact, just from my experience with the brands I've owned and from reading others experiences with the Sharpness setting and other various brands.

·
Registered
795 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedongtea /forum/post/17006625

Been looking at quite a few people's settings for the G10 and noticed that the majority of people including CNET (THX mode) have sharpness pretty high.

That's odd, because my sharpness on my Pioneer Kuro Elite 111-FD is set to -15 which is the minimum setting. Even on older analog crt tvs most of the time I set it to about 10 or 15% of the maximum setting. The only exception was an old Toshiba where I actually had to set the sharpness to half way up because anything less that than made things really fuzzy like it was negative sharpness or something. Even with the -15 setting on my Pioneer, blurays are razor sharp. I think if something is fuzzy, then it's just the crappy source, not the tv that makes it fuzzy.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
If you put up the grey and black test pattern (the one with circles, lines, overscan, etc.) on your set you can see the sharpness affect the pattern. As you increase sharpness you may notice an increase of white edges around the blacks in the pattern. This is too much sharpness. Conversely, you can reduce sharpness until that effect is no longer there but go to far and make the picture "muddy". The proper setting (and easiest to do IMO) is to first set the sharpness to where you see the edges, then reduce until the white edges disappear. That's the sweet spot.

·
Registered
91 Posts
On my G10, I only turn sharpness up higher only for a bad source, like SDTV or dvd. Sharpness on blu ray and xbox 360 are all 0.

·
Registered
6,071 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwanC /forum/post/17030709

On my G10, I only turn sharpness up higher only for a bad source, like SDTV or dvd. Sharpness on blu ray and xbox 360 are all 0.

That's funny because I find the opposite to be true. I find a higher sharpness looks better when starting with a better picture. If I crank up sharpness on a lower quality image, it looks terrible to me.

Overall, I like a higher sharpness, not sure why exactly. It just makes the picture look, sharper. I really like a high sharpness when watching cartoons.

I guess that's why TVs come with so many adjustments. Everyone likes something different.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I remember that who ever does the background speaking on Digital Video Essentials (Joe Kane maybe?), explains that sharpness was originally introduced with the first color TV sets due to loss of detail because part of the video spectrum was being used for the color transmission. If I am stating this wrong it's me, not the DVD. DVE recomends that sharpness either be set at zero or the most neutral setting on digital televsion. DVE includes a test pattern for sharpness. I used this pattern on my 3 year old 42" Panasonic plasma and to keep the patterns from getting edgy, turned sharpness almost to zero. And as others have mentioned, CNet's settings now show sharpness at zero for this year's Panasonic models. I have had my new 50V10 for about 12 days and still running the break in slides 6-8 hours a day while watching 2-4 hours per day. When I get around 200 hours, I will try DVE on my own and see where the sharpness ends up with their pattern. For viewing, I am using CNet's custom settings and those who have seen the TV say it has the best colors they have ever seen. Including my wife who usually does not pay that much attention and almost never makes a comment on one of my man toys.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts