AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like my TV has a very slight burn in from a video game. Its been over 8 hours since I've played, I can still see a faint IR. Granted I have to go close to the tv to see it but its there. I was gonna leave the tv wash wash and go to bed tonite. Is that bad for the tv?

·
Registered
1,435 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatse /forum/post/19584264

Looks like my TV has a very slight burn in from a video game. Its been over 8 hours since I've played, I can still see a faint IR. Granted I have to go close to the tv to see it but its there. I was gonna leave the tv wash wash and go to bed tonite. Is that bad for the tv?

Maybe it ages the phosphors?

I wouldn't think it would be that bad, but I guess anything strong enough to "reset" the phosphors after IR might cause some deterioration. On the other hand, maybe the people writing the manual are a few years behind the R&D department.

·
Registered
118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah /forum/post/19585815

Maybe it ages the phosphors?

I wouldn't think it would be that bad, but I guess anything strong enough to "reset" the phosphors after IR might cause some deterioration. On the other hand, maybe the people writing the manual are a few years behind the R&D department.

theoretically it ages the panel at an increased rate, but in the real world im sure this warning is really aimed at people that would leave it on for days at a time

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess accelerated aging is good to break in the tv correct? My plasma has 400 hours and the IR is still horrendous. Just few mins will leave a mark. White numbers on a driving game speedo hasn't gone away after 8 hours, I've only played about an hour.

·
Registered
73 Posts
really 400 hours and still bad IR??? how many of those 400 hours were you breakin in the TV?

i've only done bout 60 hours and my IR is already dissapearing faster then when i first got it (I have a 42" LG)

·
Registered
91 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatse /forum/post/19586753

I guess accelerated aging is good to break in the tv correct? My plasma has 400 hours and the IR is still horrendous. Just few mins will leave a mark. White numbers on a driving game speedo hasn't gone away after 8 hours, I've only played about an hour.

What brand and model TV do you own?

·
Registered
2,272 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2muchtime /forum/post/19597490

What brand and model TV do you own?

.. posts show he has the PK950 (LG top of line non-3D); seems he plays alot. My past experience w/ having the stock ticker (similar to Huds), IR can become a dominent ailment & difficult to normalize. I've read LGs do have a bigger problem w/ this, but daily sitcom/newscast/serial viewers shouldn't have problem.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Goatse,

white-wash the unit, (or let it naturally disapear) once it is gone, you should consider more mild picture settings when gaming. Lower the contrast, get the brightness as low as possible without losing detail, back the color down a tick or two.

I know, you should never have to do this...if a manufacturer provides a settings range, you should be able to safely use any setting you want, but it sounds like with this LG, you will want to be careful.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Don't use white wash, ineffective. PUt tv on a blank channel snow screen, turn up contrast and leave tv on overnight.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmeng /forum/post/19597748

Don't use white wash, ineffective. PUt tv on a blank channel snow screen, turn up contrast and leave tv on overnight.

I tried that. TV automatically turns off after a little while if snow is on. BTW I'm not using torch mode at all, its using the CNET calibration. I'm not totally crazy either, just look at the sticky tread on IR, for some people IR last not hours but weeks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I also have a PK 950, and I'm currently trying to get rid of the 4:3 bars I have on my tv. I tried watching a couple movies and it's still there. I'm trying the whitewash feature to see if that will help. My tv is only 4 months old and I allowed it to break in. I use custom settings that were recommended by the salesman who sold me the tv. They can be found on CNET's website.

I have also heard of a program called Pixelprotector, its a DVD that has different videos that are supposed to help maintain LCD and Plasma tv's. There are several reviews for it on youtube.

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axel_f /forum/post/19817433

I have also heard of a program called Pixelprotector, its a DVD that has different videos that are supposed to help maintain LCD and Plasma tv's. There are several reviews for it on youtube.

I was going to recommend Pixel Protector. At least three different Samsung owners here have successfully washed away persistent IR from their screens using this DVD, and there are some people who posted reviews on Amazon saying the snowy pattern washed away IR on their Plasmas too.

The white wash and scrolling bar features don't do much to remove IR, they're more of a placebo.

·
Registered
7 Posts
White washing didn't do much. I'll try the "snow" wash. I'm frustrated because the PK 950 was supposed to be a high-end tv, and how image burn is not a problem anymore. It is on my tv. I took good care of it and I still got image burn. I'm running low on ideas.

·
Registered
102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axel_f /forum/post/19831985

White washing didn't do much. I'll try the "snow" wash. I'm frustrated because the PK 950 was supposed to be a high-end tv, and how image burn is not a problem anymore. It is on my tv. I took good care of it and I still got image burn. I'm running low on ideas.

I'm sorry for this nitpicking, but image retention is not the same thing as burn in.

I.R. can always be seen on black image and maybe sometimes with regular material as a lighter area, but burn in is only seen with regular material.

The thing you've got is most probably IR and you do not have burn in yet. If you had a burn in you would see the burned in logo as a darker area in your screen when watching any material (but not with totally black screen). I.R. should be temporary and it will fade after some time. Maybe it'll take long, maybe not, but you can make it disappear faster by using the white wash, snow or for example watching cartoons :> South park might help for example. I believe the idea is to make the phosphors go on/off so many times that they will release their charge. Though, theoretically this should also happen if the tv is turned off for long enough time.. I'm not really sure why in some cases the I.R. stays really long.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So for the past couple weeks I've been watching 4:3 programming stretched to fill my screen, and been watching a lot of HD shows. (Or anything that fills the entire screen.) And the black bar lines on the sides of my screen are almost completely gone. My wife doesn't notice them and the only way I can see them is if I have all the lights turned off and the screen black, even then I can only see a hint of a line, but I am looking for them as hard as I can. I'm not concerned about IR anymore.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatse /forum/post/0

The BB sales rep stated that it eyes the panel every time so it will shorten panel life if abused.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts