AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it because they have beefier amps and power supplies? If so, this is important info.

I am looking to pick up a new receiver in the $1k range. The three in the front running are as follows:

The Onkyo TX-NR809 for $1099 found here http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=...s=Receiver&p=i

The Yamaha RX-A1010 for $1099.95 found here http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio..._u/?mode=model

And the Denon AVR-3312CI for $1099.99 found here http://usa.denon.com/US/Product/Page...c-d2224674832a

They all have a ton of new features that I mostly don’t give a rats ars about. But they do have what I am looking for the most. I want to have at least 5+ HDMI inputs and 2 HDMI outputs with 3D capability. I want to be able to watch sports on my projector screen while playing video games on my 40” LCD at the same time, or vise versa. Does anyone have one of these models are maybe last year’s model who could confirm this feature for me?

The second most important point to me is reliability. I have always thought of these three manufacturers as being at the top of that issue. I know that Pioneer and a few others are good too, but these three top my list. Onky had some issues a few years back with some loud clicking or popping while changing sources. Has this been worked out with later models? If so, the Onkyo gets one more step closer to the top.

Number 3 is sound quality. If the extra weight of the Onkyos means more head room or higher current availability, then take another step to the head of the class. Weights of each model are:

Onkyo 40.3 lbs

Denon 26.8 lbs

Yammy 33.3 lbs (I currently have a Yammy RX-V2500 and love it, but I have a hard time thinking that going from a 38 lbs unit to a 33.3 lbs unit is an upgrade)

One of the many features available (that I do care about) is the ability to control two subs with the remote. The Yammy says yes, but I couldn’t find this info on the other 2 (or maybe I just missed it). Anyone know?

Who can help me with my questions?

1) Why does the Onkyo weigh more?

2) Has Onkyo worked out their clicking issue?

3) Can the Onkyo also control the 2 subs by remote? (can you tell which way I’m leaning?)

·
Registered
446 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmichael2 /forum/post/20771639

I want to be able to watch sports on my projector screen while playing video games on my 40 LCD at the same time, or vise versa. Does anyone have one of these models are maybe last year's model who could confirm this feature for me?

I could totally be out to lunch here, but I think no receiver will do that. The ones I have seen that have 2 outputs simply mirror each other, so they will just duplicate the output of a single source.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hello,

It is from the Amplifier Stage that explains the Onkyo's added weight. While some have questioned Onkyo's QC of late, not very many question their Amplifier Sections. Also, the initial reports about the new x09 Series has been quite positive. Regardless of the Brand. there will be some that arrive DOA or having other problems. The way UPS and FedEx handles heavy AVR's does not help matters as well.

And the 809 does support Dual Subwoofers with individual Audyssey Calibration and the ability to raise or lower the Levels via the Remote Control. The 809 also offers Dual HDMI Outputs. I do not think that the Denon or Yamaha offer this at these Model Levels.

Also, not a single one of your links work so you might want to Edit them as they are all broken. At least the Yamaha and Onkyo links are.

AD

·
Registered
9.8.4 = 13 CBT Line Arrays, 8 Sealed 18"s
13,784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seonds /forum/post/20771738

I could totally be out to lunch here, but I think no receiver will do that. The ones I have seen that have 2 outputs simply mirror each other, so they will just duplicate the output of a single source.

That's what Zone1 , Zone2, Zone3 are for on your receiver - though you won't be able to pass a picture - just play audio in the different zones.

OP -- The Onkyo will let you individually adjust settings on each subwoofer, The popping/clicking issue when changing sources is not actually an issue at all...It's being nitpicky...how often do you change sources in the middle of listening to music so that the associated relay click would bother you? I don't know that the weight has much merit any more however. That could mean a lot of things. It COULD mean a better bigger power supply, or it COULD mean a heavier duty case, or it COULD mean a bigger more powerful amp --- but then the different amp technologies out there allow for lots of power with very little weight. Take the new class D IPR amps from Peavy. They are professional rackmount amps putting out up to 6,000 watts and weigh less than 10lbs. I've had Onkyo AVRs for my last two AVRs and a Denon 5700 before that. I like both Onkyo and Denon products and have had no real loose ends issue with either. If I have one grip it's that Onkyo stops providing network firmware updates awfully quick - - - but then - I guess they've got to move the next year's product and I can't say I have any outstanding issues on my TX-NR1007.

BTW I wouldn't consider paying retail prices for any of those units. Shop around. Check out some of our forum links, or check out slickdeals.net Don't pay retail.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hello,

The above Poster is correct about not being able to watch 2 different Sources from AVR's that offer Dual HDMI Outputs. Each offer the same Output. I suppose you could use a Zone in the main room and not use HDMI and accomplish the same thing.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure what happened with the links. I checked them when I first posted and they were fine, but didn't work for me just now. Updated. Hopefully they will keep working.

The Denon claims that zone two will let me send video from a second source via component. (no audio is fine) Maybe the Onkyo works the same.

·
Premium Member
93,361 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiodork /forum/post/20771769

And the 809 does support Dual Subwoofers with individual Audyssey Calibration and the ability to raise or lower the Levels via the Remote Control. The 809 also offers Dual HDMI Outputs. I do not think that the Denon or Yamaha offer this at these Model Levels.

The 809 uses the same version of Audyssey MultEQ XT as does the Denon 3312CI which does not allow for individual calibration of dual subs. The Denon 3312CI also features dual HDMI outputs which can be used either individually or simultaneously.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie /forum/post/20771841

The 809 uses the same version of Audyssey MultEQ XT as does the Denon 3312CI which does not allow for individual calibration of dual subs. The Denon 3312CI also features dual HDMI outputs which can be used either individually or simulataneously.

Hello,

I am glad to read that the 3312 offers Dual HDMI Outputs. With the links being broken, I got lazy. For some reason, I thought only the 4311 forward offered this. Did the 3311 also offer this Feature?

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiodork /forum/post/20771854

Hello,

I am glad to read that the 3312 offers Dual HDMI Outputs. With the links being broken, I got lazy. For some reason, I thought only the 4311 forward offered this. Did the 3311 also offer this Feature?

Links fixed. Sorry.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiodork /forum/post/20771769

Hello,

It is from the Amplifier Stage that explains the Onkyo's added weight. While some have questioned Onkyo's QC of late, not very many question their Amplifier Sections. Also, the initial reports about the new x09 Series has been quite positive. Regardless of the Brand. there will be some that arrive DOA or having other problems. The way UPS and FedEx handles heavy AVR's does not help matters as well.

Also, not a single one of your links work so you might want to Edit them as they are all broken. At least the Yamaha and Onkyo links are.

AD

Thanks. I hope you are right about the amp section. It's good to read that the 809 can adjust both subs by remote. That's a nice option. (The Yammy does state on their site that it can do this also)

Links fixed, for now.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hello,

Thanks for the information on that my fellow Floridian. Man I am tired of 106 Degree Heat Indexes...

Cheers,

AD

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea /forum/post/20771784

That's what Zone1 , Zone2, Zone3 are for on your receiver - though you won't be able to pass a picture - just play audio in the different zones.

OP -- The Onkyo will let you individually adjust settings on each subwoofer, The popping/clicking issue when changing sources is not actually an issue at all...It's being nitpicky...how often do you change sources in the middle of listening to music so that the associated relay click would bother you? I don't know that the weight has much merit any more however. That could mean a lot of things. It COULD mean a better bigger power supply, or it COULD mean a heavier duty case, or it COULD mean a bigger more powerful amp --- but then the different amp technologies out there allow for lots of power with very little weight. Take the new class D IPR amps from Peavy. They are professional rackmount amps putting out up to 6,000 watts and weigh less than 10lbs. I've had Onkyo AVRs for my last two AVRs and a Denon 5700 before that. I like both Onkyo and Denon products and have had no real loose ends issue with either. If I have one grip it's that Onkyo stops providing network firmware updates awfully quick - - - but then - I guess they've got to move the next year's product and I can't say I have any outstanding issues on my TX-NR1007.

BTW I wouldn't consider paying retail prices for any of those units. Shop around. Check out some of our forum links, or check out slickdeals.net Don't pay retail.

Thanks for the great info.
Do you know if slickdeals will support the warranty?

Nevermind. Answered my own question.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiodork /forum/post/20771886

Hello,

Thanks for the information on that my fellow Floridian. Man I am tired of 106 Degree Heat Indexes...

Cheers,

AD

I just spent a week down there and drove back over the last two days. It's not much cooler up here in PA either.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seonds /forum/post/20771738

Some receivers can do multi-zone video using their analogue outputs. That would mean having to hook up both the source and one of the display devices using component cables, though that can be in addition to HDMI. Sound might be tricky as no receiver can mix two sources together, so only one source's audio will be comming out of the speakers. It'll also probably have to be the main zone's audio, since most receivers don't allow independent selection of video and audio sources anymore.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmichael2 /forum/post/20771897

I just spent a week down there and drove back over the last two days. It's not much cooler up here in PA either.

Hello,

It has been a brutal Summer in the East.

Cheers,

AD

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Ridge /forum/post/20771955

Some receivers can do multi-zone video using their analogue outputs. That would mean having to hook up both the source and one of the display devices using component cables, though that can be in addition to HDMI. Sound might be tricky as no receiver can mix two sources together, so only one source's audio will be comming out of the speakers. It'll also probably have to be the main zone's audio, since most receivers don't allow independent selection of video and audio sources anymore.

That's no problem. I only want the sound from one at a time. If I see something going on during a game I can back up up the recording and play it on the main screen.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmichael2 /forum/post/20771879

Thanks. I hope you are right about the amp section. It's good to read that the 809 can adjust both subs by remote. That's a nice option. (The Yammy does state on their site that it can do this also)

Links fixed, for now.

On the Onkyo, using the remote you can adjust the overall subwoofer volume but I'm pretty sure you can’t adjust the volume of 2 subs individually.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpearce023 /forum/post/20772067

On the Onkyo, using the remote you can adjust the overall subwoofer volume but I'm pretty sure you can't adjust the volume of 2 subs individually.

I believe you are right. I read that you can set them up individually though. Once that is done, it would make sense to me that both should be adjusted by the same percentage together.

·
Registered
9.8.4 = 13 CBT Line Arrays, 8 Sealed 18"s
13,784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiodork /forum/post/20771886

Hello,

Cheers,

AD

How are you guys cooler than us poor suckers up here in Missouri? My car thermo read 116 today in Kansas City!!??!?? That was after about 5 minutes of driving from my covered garage!!! Another friend of mine posted a pic on facebook that her car said 120* on her way home. At least you guys have the heat offset by a trip to the ocean within reasonable driving distance!!!! We just get the swampy heat!!!

On my Onkyo I guarantee you can adjust sub1 and sub2 level individually via the remote as I often do just that! (I had one sub output powering a different pair of subs than the other sub out) I have the TX-NR1007. I would assume the NR809 would be the same capability as far as level calibrations (even if it is a different version of Audyssey than I have on mine) -- because the function I do that with has nothing to do with audyssey - it's just the level calibration (like adjusting, L, R, C, RR, RL, Sub1, Sub2, etc) I wouldn't worry too much about ensuring to buy a receiver that calibrates the subs with Audyssey, many threads I read - most people prefer their subs uncalibrated by Audyseey anyway. (myself included) Reference vs. Preference thing!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.