AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Banned
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never seen one except in the pictures that were posted to this list. It seems to me that it would just be a reflecting surface that changes the AR. Is this a particularly difficult surface to build(I am sure it has to be quite accurate)? I am a little familiar with how the mirrors are made on telescopes, in fact I just purchased a TEC 6" Maksutov for $1850. This is an extremely well made instrument with guaranteed accuracy of 1/8 wave at the wavefront. It also consists of a primary & secondary mirror surface with a correcting lens, focuser & tube assembly. I know this is comparing apples to oranges but I am just wondering what justifies the price for the Panomorph when it just seems to be one mirrored surface(Prism?) in a box.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Three items: (1) limited market; (2) innovation in creating a product from wholecloth; (3) comparable product pricing.

------------------

Dan

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
I'm sure that a large fraction of the cost is NRE associated with recovering engineering development costs.

------------------

Ken Elliott

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Optics and optical designing time has never been cheap, just ask anyone who has perscription glasses. Its all relative to the mass market of a product. the Panamorph will never be made in big enough numbers to get the price to where some may want it.

I take the point of view that this lens/es are investments for my current projector and my future projector's (I wonder how many I can own in one life ?).

Remember do not worry about 1:78 projectors as the Panamorph is able to still be of good value for 2:35 movies.

I bet you will lose less money and own longer your Panamorph, than any projector you may own or may purchace in the future.

DavidW

·
Premium Member
16,981 Posts
The telescope market is 50 fold the size of the ht lens market.

The Isco retails for $1999.

Runco rebages this and sells it I think for $3500.

The Panamorph with the offered pre buys are a great deal. For those who are complaining and choose to pass on the pre pay will be the same ones complaining when they have to pay the higher price.

------------------

Alan Gouger

Thanks for supporting AV Science.
www.avscience.com

·
Banned
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not complaining(I may even buy one), I was just wondering if there was something about the nature of the lens that was very difficult to manufacture and therefore expensive or if was a supply & demand thing.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Or maybe a better question would be...

Why does the panamorph have to be built like a tank.

Wouldn't injected molded plastic be fine? Are people violent with their HT equipment?

·
Registered
806 Posts
It's a pity that the Panamorph so expensive is.

I understand all the factors that produces a so high price, the problem is common in the HT field, i really would like to buy one, but at the moment i find the price really too expensive. Maybe in the future if price goes down a little.

bye

------------------

dubmaster

·
Registered
423 Posts
Read Shawn's posts over the last year. A fascinating look into the difficulties of bringing a product to market. You're not just paying the cost of materials, but for everyone in the design/manufacturing process to pay their rent, pay their employees, and make a living themselves, besides.

Just look at the cost of eyeglasses. Compared to what they sell for in Manhattan, the Panamorph seems positively cheap. Definitely costs less per pound!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Being in the manufacturing business. When I first saw the product I wondered how someone could built such a limited number of these for such a low price. It seems silly, but if you understand manufacturing/quantity relationships and seeing how complex (yet simple) the product is, you will understand what I am stating.

Jeff

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Quote:
Because the price of oil has shot thru the roof !!!
I'm one of those who was sitting in gas lines back in the 1970s and paying over a dollar a gallon. Let's see, if we take inflation into account.........

Do any of you actually take inflation into account anymore?

In terms of constant 1970 dollars I would think todays gas prices are a bargain, historically speaking. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Frank

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
You think Gas is expensive?

Diet Snapple 16oz $1.29 $10.32 per gallon

Lipton Ice Tea 16oz $1.19 $9.52 per gallon

Gatorade 20oz $1.59 $10.17 per gallon

Ocean Spray 16oz $1.25 $10 .00 per gallon

Brake Fluid 12oz $3.15 $33.60 per gallon

Vick's Nyquil 6oz $8.35 $178.13 per gallon

Pepto Bismol 4oz $3.85 $123.20 per gallon

Whiteout 7oz $1.39 $25.42 per gallon

Scope 1.5oz $0.99 $84.48 per gallon

And this is the REAL KICKER......

Evian water 9oz for $1.49 $21.19 per gallon

$21.19 FOR WATER!

....and the buyers don't even know the source.

So, the next time you're at the pump, be glad your car doesn't run on Nyquil, or Scope, or Whiteout.

Anyway, in the world of Manufacturing it's all about MARGIN. The panamorph could have been made out of plastic (even in another country) and could be sitting on shelves at every AV store in America at under $1000 and a larger margin!

Would Cygnus spread their name more? yes

Would the Customer be happier? Yes (I would even buy one)

Will somone else probably do this.........yes

I'm just a little dissapointed that Cygnus totally lost sight of their main objective. "build an economical alternative to the ISCO lenses"

[This message has been edited by Tryg (edited 05-31-2001).]

·
Banned
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It seems to me that the device would just be a pair of anamorphic prisms, possibly being made for another purpose already(lasers?) adapted for our use. This may not be the case, but if it is, then if the manufacturer of the prisms could be found we could make our own box.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
It honestly makes me wonder why all these complaining people have not jumped in and brought one by now ? If they wanted a cheap lens they should have brought ages ago, the Panamorph threads have been going since June 2000 !

If you want a cheap 1:78 lens buy it now, because as Shawn has said it will end up that the retail is around $1900 or more.

The ISCO 11 retails at $1900.

That makes the current price a bargain and the old Pre-Buy price just about "pure theft".

Some of you guys must have fell out of a winkies wrapper by not seeing this bargain.

As for the new Pre-Buy I will say it again "No one else" is going to build a 1:33 to 2:35 conversion lens anytime soon (if at all) as the market is extremely small. If you can use a 2:35 lens in your setup here is the opportunity to buy, dead set "CHEAP".

Do not moan about how you missed the 2:35 boat later on. You have been well warned and you now have a history showing the demand and increased cost of manufacture in the 1:78 lens .

DavidW

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.