AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When watching HD movies it appears my projector has more contrast and more punch verses watching DVDs.

Anyone else notice this and is there a reason for it.

Can the additional resolution have a placeable effect of some sort.

I am not talking the about additional clarity that comes naturally from watching HD but Im talking more punch and contrast and at times even a brighter image without the over driven look.

Am I seeing more contrast or did I eat to many funny brownies?

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
My guess is the mastering process for HD is different than for DVDs. A good analogy is using a scanner to scan photos - if you scan with a gamma of 1.8 and then at a gamma of 2.2, and then with a gamma of 2.5, the image scanned at the highest gamma will look more "3D" and be more contrasty than the other two. The gamma 1.8 image will look washed out and colors muted in comparison.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
What is your connection method?

If you are using analog connections, it may be a mismatch in IRE outputs for black.

If not, it may be totally unrelated.

Newbies tend to see the IRE mismatch, but I'm thinking that this is probably not what Alan's seeing, since I'm also assuming he's probably using digital connection methods to a digital pj...

Otherwise, I'd have to say it's probably in the source, and how it was made to look. What are you watching in HD? A lot of movies out there on DVD are dark, etc, while a lot of the HD stuff, discover stuff etc, is bright and outside type stuff. Maybe you're just watching different kinds of material? Having watched DVD and wm9 HD versions of the same video, I don't notice any difference whatsoever, besides added resolution. But if I watched just a bunch of normal movies, then the HD stuff which is in general nature-type and outdoors, then I might make that observation, but it's a misleading one.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I've noticed this when watching HD movies also. If I could get the contrast on DVD that I see during most HD movies I wouldn't be itching to upgrade :rolleyes:.

Hey Alan, you got any more of those brownies!? :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.