AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My refurb X800XT PE arrived from ATI and the first thing I noticed was that I can now use FFDShow on HD playback. I never could on my 9700 because it was too slow.

Aren't the video features on these two cards were mostly the same?

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
When I went from my 9800pro to the X800XL, (just got it this weekend) film and video quality seems the same. W/c I expected since the 9800pro puts out a stunning 1080i picture. But I did notice glitches or dropped frames (just sometimes only) w/c I thought were source file errors are now gone. PQ is still the same (haven't done any tweaking yet w/ this new card) but 1080i panning shots seem even smoother, I think because the 9800pro did a good job for the last 2 years.

So it may be those rendering capabilties since I use VMR9 Windowless w/ all my media.

But for 3D Imaging and games(Colin Mcrea Rally 95 and others), now runs at 1776x1000i w/ 4x AA and 16x AF and is just eye candy to me. So as for video/film, the jury is still out for me since these games are occupying my tweaking time for the moment.

HD w/ ffdshow? Are you using post proccesing or its decoder? I use it w/ ZP for DVD and SD media only. For HD 720p and 1080i, I use DXVA w/ the nvidia decoder. How do you add ffdshow to the hidef chain if you use ZP? ...mike...

·
Registered
18,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I use MediaPlayer Classic for playback. You can set overrides and merits for each filter- so I can use both DScaler and FFDshow if I like. You should be able to do something similar with ZP.

Basically it was just an observation. I don't generally bother with FFDShow because DScaler does such a good job decoding on its own. I just noticed how much faster and smoother the X800XT handles video playback. Might have something to do with the card+driver combination. Using latest Catylist 5.8 drivers.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I can't run Dscaler5. It keeps giving me the weave pattern regardless of settings w/c I think is the missing deinterlacer. I tried and tried and gave up. So it just kills me when I read how people are using it w/ no problem. This is only for 1080i media. I have a 65" 1080i Mits RPTV. Although I have not tried it yet w/ the X800XL.

Oh, BTW if you haven't done yet, you can download all the 3D demos from ATi. It's quite a show for everybody. You'll have to hack the .ini files to your output resolution one by one after you install them.

·
Registered
18,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My HD production monitor can handle both 720p/1080i, but I prefer 720p so that's what I use. DScaler works great.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.