AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious about this. I know there have been plenty of films mastered in EX to DVD and none of the HD broadcasts are in EX.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I would think mainly because it wasn't around when the ATSC standard was written. Since we are dealing with the FCC here any changes that might cause an STB to foul up are I am sure a no-no.

Nothing stoping cable or satellite channels from using it though.

·
Registered
10,821 Posts
I would think that ANY Dolby Digital broadcast could be EX ??

the EX addition changes nothing, The first DVD player I Ever Owned(The First player ever released, A RCA) could pass a Dolby EX track

it's all in the processor(pre-amp/receiver) receiving the signal

much like DTS decoders from back in mid 90's can receive a DTS-ES track and playback normal DTS just fine

the Dolby Digital/DTS Signals with EX/ES are not different from normal Dolby/DTS signals. other than having flags added in for the relevant decoders to pick up

lots of the broadcasts could be EX just not flagged

-Gary

·
Registered
6,155 Posts
About a week and a half ago I was surfing the sat HD channels and the Starz channel was showing a movie that lilt up the "ex-on" on my HK AVR 635. But I haven't seen it light up since.

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
My guess would be that since DD5.1 is the current lowest common denominator, then that is why you will only see it.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Most DDEX is not flagged on the discs anyway. DDEX is still only a 5.1+ format not true 6.1. so technically DDEX is on everything that was produced that way. the 6th channel is encoded in the rear right and rear left channel. Its always there whether you have 5.1 or 6.1 setup for speakers. you just might have to manually turn it on yourself. Now im sure sometimes the flag is going to kick on. But DDEX is there even on regular programs.

·
Registered
18,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlevy
Most DDEX is not flagged on the discs anyway. DDEX is still only a 5.1+ format not true 6.1. so technically DDEX is on everything that was produced that way. the 6th channel is encoded in the rear right and rear left channel. Its always there whether you have 5.1 or 6.1 setup for speakers. you just might have to manually turn it on yourself. Now im sure sometimes the flag is going to kick on. But DDEX is there even on regular programs.
So are you saying that DDEX is on my DVHS Extended LOTR Two Towers off of STARZ, I just need to turn it on?

I've had HDTV pretty much since the beginning and I have yet to see the EX light turn on once.

·
Registered
6,155 Posts
With the newer receivers having some or all of the following;

PLIIx, dts es, dts neo6, Logic 7 7 channel having the movie channels sending DDex is mute. Being any of the above mentioned processing will produce the same results. And Logic 7, as far as I'm concerned, does it better than the rest.

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi
Just curious about this. I know there have been plenty of films mastered in EX to DVD and none of the HD broadcasts are in EX.
Sure it does. Starz shows some movies with DDEX and this year March Madness on CBS from I belive Arizona region had all games in DDEX.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.