AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading Home Theater Magazine for years. Since last year I have fallen in love with my Harman Kardon AVR. I have used 247, 645 and 745 (presently own this one). The new 254/354 have gotten great reviews in this forum as well. They have some cutting edge features like 1080p upscaling of all source inputs.

However, as far as I remember, Home Theater Magazine has never reviewed HK AVRs. They just review Pioneer, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, and Onkyo. I have used a Denon and Onkyo before and consider the HK to have a better sound.

Anybody know the reason!

·
Registered
450 Posts
It has been awhile since they reviewed an HK receiver. The last time was in April 2007 for the very popular (at the time) AVR645. That review partially influenced my decision to buy my AVR435 that I no longer own. I also wonder why they don't review more HK's?

·
Registered
3,153 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai /forum/post/14212427

I have been reading Home Theater Magazine for years. Since last year I have fallen in love with my Harman Kardon AVR. I have used 247, 645 and 745 (presently own this one). The new 254/354 have gotten great reviews in this forum as well. They have some cutting edge features like 1080p upscaling of all source inputs.

However, as far as I remember, Home Theater Magazine has never reviewed HK AVRs. They just review Pioneer, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, and Onkyo. I have used a Denon and Onkyo before and consider the HK to have a better sound.

Anybody know the reason!

Why not call or eMail them and ask for the reason, if any ?

·
Registered
781 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gluvhand /forum/post/14212716

Maybe HK just isn't supplying them with receivers to review.

That's my guess. I've seen the name in HT Mag quite a bit for other things.

·
Registered
52 Posts
HT magazine reviewed the HK 147 in the December 2007 issue.

The article was titled "Three Ways to Fill a Rack".

·
Registered
40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai /forum/post/14212427

Anybody know the reason!

Yeah...... I wonder why as well????

And when a magazine DOES review an H/K Receiver, it is HARDLY EVER one of the upper eschelon models. It seems to be one of the entry-level models.

In fact, the latest issue of Home Theater has reviewed about four or five receivers in the August issue. And as far as I can see, they have reviewed (or mentioned) a couple of Onkyos (well...... one of them is an Integra....... but an Integra is to Onkyo as a Lexus is to Toyota), a couple of Pioneers (one of them is an Elite model...... but again, re-read my Onkyo analogy), a Denon or two, about three Sonys and a flagship Yamaha. That's about it. I didn't see any Harman/Kardon models no where in that issue. And that's the VERY receiver I am interested in (namely, the AVR-354).

I would like to know what's up with that as well????

--chaskelljr2001--

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
I wish one of the mags would do a shoot out of every mfg's flagship but then if they

have one winner they would loose their advertising funds from the rest.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Did anyone else find it a bit sad that the low end HK's amplifier section had better test results than the midrange Sony and the high end Yamaha in the "Test Bench" section of the article?

·
Registered
247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalakersfan34 /forum/post/14213892

Did anyone else find it a bit sad that the low end HK's amplifier section had better test results than the midrange Sony and the high end Yamaha in the "Test Bench" section of the article?

Only if you're a Sony or Onkyo fan.

·
Banned
3,741 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by godawgs5 /forum/post/14214357

Maybe because H/K does not spend advertising dollars in their magazine? Or at least enough to warrant more reviews.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW /forum/post/14214533

Perhaps other manufacturers are providing more ad revenue for them.

Touche, that is...

·
Registered
522 Posts
yeah, it's ad dollars. have you ever seen a definitive technology speaker review that didn't say they were amazing, perfect speakers? they keep buying lots of full color 2 full page ads and they keep saying their speakers are gold.

·
Registered
6,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalakersfan34 /forum/post/14213892

Just from the standpoint of rated power, HK will always blow the socks off the other brands. Most other receiver's rated power is a stretch into never, never land. Whereas HK's rated power is conservitive.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DHD /forum/post/14215882

Just from the standpoint of rated power, HK will always blow the socks off the other brands. Most other receiver's rated power is a stretch into never, never land. Whereas HK's rated power is conservitive.

But what is power without control

·
Registered
750 Posts
I don't know the answer, but I suspect it must have something to do with Bohemian Grove, the Trilateral Commission or the fact that HK receivers suck.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts