AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I adore my Panny 50px75u, but the constant adjusting of the pic to properly fit the screen is driving me crazy.

Im interested to hear what most people are using, the A-ratio with their STB or the one on the Panny? In some instances the latter doesnt stretch the pic far enough...

·
Premium Member
18,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwitel /forum/post/12900929

I adore my Panny 50px75u, but the constant adjusting of the pic to properly fit the screen is driving me crazy.

Im interested to hear what most people are using, the A-ratio with their STB or the one on the Panny? In some instances the latter doesnt stretch the pic far enough...

Your Panny does remember the aspect ratios. If you turn it on while it's getting a 720p or 1080i signal it automatically defaults to FULL mode. If you use JUST or ZOOM or 4:3 for non-HD signals then it will remember whichever mode you last left it on when you turned the TV off. Now that we have widescreen TVs, we do have to constantly use the ASPECT key to select the correct AR for whatever content we're watching so get used to it

Set your STB to output the correct format for your widescreen TV, and let the TV do all the aspect adjustment. On all my various STBs, their ZOOM and STRETCH modes look like crap so i let the TV do it all.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
The real problem is the FCC's stupid idea to let broadcasters use either a 4:3 or 16:9 aspect in their digital signals. The rational approach would be to require all digital broadcasting, regardless of resolution, to be 16:9 to properly fill all the new WS HDTVs that will be in the vast majority of households within two years (or sooner). SD DVD does it with widescreen DVDs, so there is no reason broadcasters cannot do it also. Unless they change that, our grandchildren will still be watching SD material with sidebars and fussing with the aspect ratio!

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/12904971

Your Panny does remember the aspect ratios. If you turn it on while it's getting a 720p or 1080i signal it automatically defaults to FULL mode. If you use JUST or ZOOM or 4:3 for non-HD signals then it will remember whichever mode you last left it on when you turned the TV off. Now that we have widescreen TVs, we do have to constantly use the ASPECT key to select the correct AR for whatever content we're watching so get used to it

Set your STB to output the correct format for your widescreen TV, and let the TV do all the aspect adjustment. On all my various STBs, their ZOOM and STRETCH modes look like crap so i let the TV do it all.

Randy-

Are you saying that with properly adjusting the output of the STB you dont have to do anything manually?

Forgive me here but im a bit confused regarding your response.

The first part says we will have to constantly use the aspect key, while the latter half says I should I allow my TV to do it?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts