AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Sanyo XP21N which has a 1040x768 LCD panel. When I plug my Dish 6000 tuner into it with a VGA cable it never fills the screen vertically and only wide broadcasts fill it horizontally. It looks correct for the wide broadcast but 4x3 images have large borders on ALL sides. On HD signal, the proj shows 1080i detected. Is something wrong with either of the units?

·
Registered
77 Posts
On your Dish 6000 remote press the star button (*) to resize the screen. Note: 1024 x 768 is 4:3 and HD is usually 1:85.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The star button only changes the size of the image horizontally for me. I've played with changing the setup of the 6000 to both 1080i and 720p as well as trying the 16x9, 4x3, and 4x3with compression options. With a 16x9 broadcast I get full width but on a 4x3 broadcast I get grey bars on each side and I always have grey bars on the top and bottom of the display. The Sanyo has a feature that is available only when in 720p mode called TRUE display. I can select this (with a lot of menu navigation) to get a 4x3 image to fill the screen but then 16x9 images are cutoff on the sides. Isn't there a way to have the Dish dispay a 4x3 full screen and to grey bar the top and bottom of 16x9?

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
When they broadcast letterbox 1:1.78 or 1:1.85 you will have letterbox bars above and below your image...

You should have the source set to 4:3 if you have a 4:3 screen and projector.. This way you will have large 4:3 and letterboxed widescreen...

If you have a 16:9 screen you should try having the source set to 16:9 or anamorphic 16:9 depending on you available options and then you have black bars above and below for widescreen and pillarboxed 4:3 black bars on all sides.. This ensures the 4:3 does not overspill from the 16:9 actual screen...

Am i being clear or clear as mud :) !!

·
Banned
158 Posts
i believe that gray bar sides for 4x3 displays showing 4x3 pictures in hd output mode is the only option that will fill the screen (including the grey bars)try the several other modes on the 6k, and see what you prefer. i also am going to expand the picture w/the zoom ring and see what happens.

avman.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, after spending 2.5 hours on the phone with a series of tech support people, Dish finally told me "it sounds like a 6000 receiver problem" and transferred me to the repair dept! The only problem now is that they claim I bought the 6000 in August 2000 and the warranty is out of date and it'll cost me $250 to get it fixed! I have to send them the receipt that I have showing I bought it in Dec 2001 from dishdepot! Typical service from Dish!

·
Banned
158 Posts
better be sure there's a problem w/your receiver b4 you send it back...could be an incompetant 'advisor' that just doesn't know what the correct answer is. have you tried other suggestions?

avman.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Wysocki,

It just sounds like an incompatibility between the Sanyo and the Dish to me. My Sharp M20x assumes that any 1080i or 720p input is 16x9 material, so 4x3 material shows up in what most people call bordered mode (bars on all sides). Now your Sanyo sounds like it does the same thing, except that they have added a special mode in 720p to allow you to do the 4x3 full screen. I would then expect (as you indicate) that 16x9 material would get cut off at the sides. Sounds like the Dish 6000 isn't built to handle that special mode that Sanyo added. Unless this mode is a generally accepted way of doing things I wouldn't expect the dish to know about it. The 6000 is just putting 16x9 or 4x3 out as 720p without modification and the Sanyo is blowing it up. I don't even know how the 6000 could handle this without making some lines blank (and losing resolution) in the 720p signal. Seems like a pretty specialized mode that really only applies to 1024x768 projectors.

Seems that as we move forward receivers, DVD players, and projectors will do a better job of integrating all this stuff, but at this point different assumptions seem to be made in different places. I don't think sending your receiver back is going to do you any good. Disclaimer: I don't have one - I'm just speculating.

--Darin

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Ahh that explains a lot... Not having a Dish unit I thought that when it was stated that it was connected via VGA it was providing a VGA timing and resolution via RGBHV... As I now read it it is outputting HDTV signals over RGBHV.... Does the 6000 have a component output ?? I would suggest it is possible the engineers planned for 16:9 via component possibly better than over RGBHV...

That said however if they have a zoom mode to pull the central 4:3 out of the transmitted 16:9 is that not your solution ??? It would be hard for the projector to calculate what was 4:3 and what was 16:9 given the same source signal (imagine a cut to black space scene and the projector resyncing)... I am also assuming this is for a large 4:3 screen ???

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I sent an email to Sanyo asking for info on how they handle the Dish 6000 but no reply yet. An interesting note, is that the Dish rep asked me to hook up a PC monitor into the back of the 6000. When I told him the results were identical to how the projector looked, that's when he determined that I had a receiver problem. Are there any Dish 6000 users out there that have plugged a computer monitor into the box? I wonder what their results were. I should be receiving the Dish replacement in a couple of days so I'll keep you posted.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.