AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DVDs support 5.1 sound, so why don't any recorders record in 5.1? Seems pointless in having optical/ coaxial outputs if there aren't optical/ coaxial inputs too.

Yes, I know it's for store bought dvds

Will the new machines with digital tuners record 5.1?

Seem like a multimedia PC is the only way to record 5.1 DVDs.

Mike

·
Registered
4,748 Posts
This is an often asked question, and there is no definitive answer. Some blame the content owners for preventing the DVD recorder manufacturers from marketing any machines with such capabilities in the US. They are available in other countries, and I believe that there were one or two older models that DID record 5.1 audio, but that might be a false memory. There is a "short" answer that the recorders only adhere to the initial DVD spec which only called for stereo audio. This seems unlikely to me because the initial spec never mentioned -R, -RW, +R, +RW or -RAM.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy /forum/post/0

This is an often asked question, and there is no definitive answer. Some blame the content owners for preventing the DVD recorder manufacturers from marketing any machines with such capabilities in the US. They are available in other countries, and I believe that there were one or two older models that DID record 5.1 audio, but that might be a false memory. There is a "short" answer that the recorders only adhere to the initial DVD spec which only called for stereo audio. This seems unlikely to me because the initial spec never mentioned -R, -RW, +R, +RW or -RAM.

There are none available in any countries period. If you know of one post a link.

There were couple Philips announced but never came. The biggest problem is not even content protection but making it work. If recorder would have digital input it would need circuits to delay audio to be synchronized with video. Analog input could work but again it makes the recorder more complicated and a lot more expansive. Dolby charges much higher licensing fee for 5.1.

·
Registered
4,748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKNA /forum/post/0

There are none available in any countries period. If you know of one post a link.

There were couple Philips announced but never came. The biggest problem is not even content protection but making it work. If recorder would have digital input it would need circuits to delay audio to be synchronized with video. Analog input could work but again it makes the recorder more complicated and a lot more expansive. Dolby charges much higher licensing fee for 5.1.

This is what I thought, but I am reluctant to say "absolutely none" because someone almost always has ONE model from three years ago that did it. I must have been thinking of the Philips vaporware announcement.

I forgot about the Dolby Labs license fee(s) as a major up-front cost (except to CyberHome
). I'm sure that fee plays a part in the 5.1 conspicuous absence in DVD recorders.

·
Registered
40 Posts
On one of the many post of the 5.1 topic, someone said there was a philips model that was in australia that had 5.1 inputs. I remember reading the review on cnet of it and it confirmed that that model had digital audio input(s), but to my dismay, made no comment about how rare it was. As with most Philips, it only got a slightly above average rating, with poor comments about drive recording speed, I think.

If any of the new models with atsc tuners will keep the 5.1 audio, I will happily sit it next to my panny eh50.

·
Registered
455 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKNA /forum/post/0

Philips announced a couple of models several yers ago but didn't ship those models. They now have a least two current models that should 5.1 recording capability and the firmware is available for download from their website so I suspect the models exist....just not in the good old USMPAA....

Heres one---> http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/d/d...05_pss_aen.pdf

PS don't forget that Philips was a early leader in Optical Media and owns a bunch of patents on it...

" We spend 5000 engineering hours testing der best angle of der Mercedes steering wheel and You yanks want to change it.....Ist Verbotten,Ya"

·
Registered
4,039 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldemanphil /forum/post/0

Philips announced a couple of models several yers ago but didn't ship those models. They now have a least two current models that should 5.1 recording capability and the firmware is available for download from their website so I suspect the models exist....just not in the good old USMPAA....

Heres one---> http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/d/d...05_pss_aen.pdf

PS don't forget that Philips was a early leader in Optical Media and owns a bunch of patents on it...

" We spend 5000 engineering hours testing der best angle of der Mercedes steering wheel and You yanks want to change it.....Ist Verbotten,Ya"

These look brand new. Read the small print however. It says that 5.1 can only be played on recoder itself. You get stereo only if playing the disc on a DVD Player.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejf /forum/post/0

DVDs support 5.1 sound, so why don't any recorders record in 5.1? Seems pointless in having optical/ coaxial outputs if there aren't optical/ coaxial inputs too.

Yes, I know it's for store bought dvds

Will the new machines with digital tuners record 5.1?

Seem like a multimedia PC is the only way to record 5.1 DVDs.

Mike

You don't need a HTPC just a dvd burner to your pc to record 5.1 or DTS

·
Registered
14,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielCard /forum/post/0

What have you read? It will be simple to add 5.1 audio record once the recorders have ATSC tuners in them. ATSC standard mandates 5.1 audio playback capability.

Here's an excerpt from a "Technology Q&A" by the Optical Technology Storage Org (OSTA) -- older but still applicable:

"Typically, discs written in DVD-Video format can be played back using any DVD video player or computer DVD-ROM drive employing appropriate software (subject to that device's physical compatibility with the specific type of disc). Among its features, the DVD-Video format supports one main stream of video (MPEG-1, MPEG-2) with up to nine separate camera angles, as many as eight audio streams (Dolby Digital, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, LPCM, DTS), a maximum of 32 subpicture streams (graphic overlay) together with navigation menus, still images, simple interactivity, random accessibility plus many other extras."

I've read here and elsewhere that the "Dolby Digital" they refer to is DD2.0 only.

·
Registered
14,210 Posts

Quote:

You lost me. What is DD2.0? Are you saying Dolby Digital 2.0? Haven't heard the term. How does it relate to 5.1 audio?

DD2.0 = Dolby Digital 2-channel sound.

Here's an excerpt from timeforDVD.com with good info:

"Dolby Digital is a lossy audio encoding scheme that supports up to 5.1 channels of discrete audio. In actuality, a Dolby Digital soundtrack may be composed of less than 5.1 channels. For example, Dolby Digital 1.0 is mono audio (single track of audio information), while Dolby Digital 2.0 is stereo (in which Dolby Surround or Dolby Surround Pro-Logic can be encoded). Dolby Digital 4.0 have discrete audio signals for the center, left, and right channels, plus a mono audio signal that is common for the surround channels. Dolby Digital 5.0 is like Dolby Digital 5.1, but lacks a discrete audio signal for the low frequency effects channel. Dolby Digital encodes these multi-channel soundtracks at either the 448 kbit/sec or 384 kbit/sec data rates.

Keep in mind that "Dolby Digital" does not necessarily equate to "Dolby Digital 5.1". "Dolby Digital" generically refers to the encoding scheme as discussed in the paragraph above. Only when it says "Dolby Digital 5.1" explicitly can you be sure that the soundtrack consists of 5.1 discrete channels."

·
Registered
256 Posts

Quote:

What have you read? It will be simple to add 5.1 audio record once the recorders have ATSC tuners in them. ATSC standard mandates 5.1 audio playback capability.

I didn't say it wouldn't be easy to add 5.1 functionality. All I said is that I have yet to see a recorder set for release this spring that has this feature. If you've seen one please show me.

·
Registered
256 Posts

Quote:

It doesn't seem like you said that in this thread.

Why do I feel like I'm defending myself?
My original post was in response to foxfan who suggested that the new DVD recorders would be able to record 5.1 DD. I have yet to read anything that gives that credence. My statement also makes the implication that the new recorders will not have this feature. I guess I don't understand why you are confused. Again, if I am wrong about what I've said feel free to present conflicting information. Until then I stand by my comment.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR12 /forum/post/0

I didn't say it wouldn't be easy to add 5.1 functionality. All I said is that I have yet to see a recorder set for release this spring that has this feature. If you've seen one please show me.

I guess there is no info released yet (same with all TVs below 25 inches) because they want to get rid of the most analog-only models until March 1st when they'll all have to be replaced.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.