AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,729 Posts
100 hrs is too much for high volume products such as plasma. It will increase cost substantially. Manufactures usually want to reduce production/testing time not increase it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice /forum/post/14222790


They actually do. Some 50 hours, others 100 hours.

Wow, really? Can you provide any manufacturer info? Who and how long? And do you believe that it is still wise (I know you don't tell others what to do - but for you) still wise to do 150 hours on top of that?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,863 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashti /forum/post/14222846


Wow, really? Can you provide any manufacturer info? Who and how long? And do you believe that it is still wise (I know you don't tell others what to do - but for you) still wise to do 150 hours on top of that?

Panasonic 100 hours. Pioneer 50 hours.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice /forum/post/14222873


Panasonic 100 hours. Pioneer 50 hours.

Wow... That kind of makes sense (maybe). Could that at least partially explain why Sammy's and other plasmas have a greater incidence of IR and BI?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
my samsung plasma has purple images on the screen in certain places from using a x360 on it from new i should of done a proper break in to late now tho
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,063 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants /forum/post/14222775


Because they think break in is a myth

Hmmm.... THAT could be it. hehehehe

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFR /forum/post/14224492


An interesting video of a Hitachi plant that details plasma production.At about 5:10 it shows aging racks for the panels.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vUHFIBuIc...elated&search=

Thanks for sharing that video link! For anyone who is interested in how they make Plasma screens that is an amazing video to watch! Amazing how complicated the whole process is. Incredible!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
459 Posts
Hmmmm...certainly seems Hitachi puts more effort into their QC process than some other brands.


They actually have a guy standing at the back listening to things that don't sound right.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,162 Posts
D-Nice, have you? If you have, what was the most interesting thing you learned there?


When I was young, we used to have school field trips every year to the Butter Krust bakery to learn how bread was made. Wouldn't that be great, if it was possible to go to plasma factories and watch them get manufactured? And maybe, like in my school field trips, they could give out free samples at the end.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
459 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by D-Nice

Really? Have you ever visited a Samsung, LG, Panasonic or Pioneer PDP manfactuing plant to check out their plasma process?


My response was a bit tongue in cheek.


But to your point, I've never seen another manufacturing facility. However, the video shows Hitachi testing colors...testing..blacks...testing pixels...testing sounds. To this latter point, Hitachi actually has a guy whose job it is to listen to each display for something that sounds wrong to him. I know a certain other brand that could benefit from his services.


There are no exhaustive threads here about quality control issues for Hitachi Displays. There are no exhaustive complaints about stuck pixels, blotchy blacks, or incessant buzzing.


Another brand has such threads so it makes one wonder if Hitachi is doing something right that the other brand is not.


By way of disclosure...I do not now, nor have I ever, owned a Hitachi product.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,863 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwr1776 /forum/post/14225755


To this latter point, Hitachi actually has a guy whose job it is to listen to each display for something that sounds wrong to him. I know a certain other brand that could benefit from his services.

Until you actually visit and/or watch a video of another manufacturer's PDP manufacturing process, your comment about "I know a certain other brand that could benefit from his services" is quite silly.

Quote:
There are no exhaustive threads here about quality control issues for Hitachi Displays. There are no exhaustive complaints about stuck pixels, blotchy blacks, or incessant buzzing.

Did you actually research this or are you just going by the fact that nothing "Hitachi" is on the first few pages of the plasma forum? I personally think it's the latter as there are PLENTY of threads regarding Hitachi issues, just like there are for Pioneer, Panasonic, and Samsung. Try researching before posting asinine comments like this one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice /forum/post/14225834


Until you actually visit and/or watch a video of another manufacturer's PDP manufacturing process, your comment about "I know a certain other brand that could benefit from his services" is quite silly.

Not silly at all. Either the "other" brand has sound checks in place that allow a substantial number of units out with sound flaws or they don't have sound checks. Either way, there is significant room for improvement.

Quote:
Did you actually research this or are you just going by the fact that nothing "Hitachi" is on the first few pages of the plasma forum? I personally think it's the latter as there are PLENTY of threads regarding Hitachi issues, just like there are for Pioneer, Panasonic, and Samsung. Try researching before posting asinine comments like this one.


To be specific, I did an Advance Search with Hitachi as the search criteria and "Title Only" as the constraint. There were about 400 hits; I scanned them and found no chronic or multi-model issues. With all do respect, you could have asked before assuming I didn't check the facts. And...regardless of whether I did or didn't, none of my comments qualify as asinine. Perhaps it would be asinine to post any comment w/o research but that wasn't your point, and, if it was, it would have been wrong.


I'm not sure what you motivations could be to personally attack me, but I'd appreciate a bit more decorum. Feel free to challenge my ideas; I welcome it and a constructive debate.


pax,

rwr
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,863 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwr1776 /forum/post/14225924


Not silly at all. Either the "other" brand has sound checks in place that allow a substantial number of units out with sound flaws or they don't have sound checks. Either way, there is significant room for improvement.

Hmm, so you haven't found the posts from...say....Panasonic owners complaining about buzzing, fan noise, color flicker, brightness shifting, streaking, purple snakes (previous gens), etc? There are Samsung owners that have reported dead/stuck pixels and buzzing too. Buzzing is inherent to PDPs, period.




Quote:
To be specific, I did an Advance Search with Hitachi as the search criteria and "Title Only" as the constraint. There were about 400 hits; I scanned them and found no chronic or multi-model issues. With all do respect, you could have asked before assuming I didn't check the facts. And...regardless of whether I did or didn't, none of my comments qualify as asinine. Perhaps it would be asinine to post any comment w/o research but that wasn't your point, and, if it was, it would have been wrong.

I didn't have to assume. A simple "Hitachi" search brought up for me OTA issues, flickering, power supply, pixel, and buzzing issues. When you get the query results, you do realize you actually have to read the threads, right?

Quote:
I'm not sure what you motivations could be to personally attack me, but I'd appreciate a bit more decorum. Feel free to challenge my ideas; I welcome it and a constructive debate.


pax,

rwr

Pointing out the flaws of one manufacturer and then attempting to say said manufacturer doesn't have good QC because of another manufacturer's "video" when YOU are clueless to said manufacturer's QC process is quite asinine and isn't a personal attack. I'm simply pointing out the very flawed logic you are projecting on this forum.


Regarding Kuro buzzing which you were so kind as to reference the video from this thread into the 9G buzz poll thread........


There are over 1,000 9G Kuro owners on AVS alone (and I'm being VERY conservative). Of those owners, 111 participated in the buzz poll. 15 reported it was either "annoying" or "it's the reason I returned the set". Are you attempting to say that 15 truly negative reports justifies your comments:

"I know a certain other brand that could benefit from his services"


or

"There are no exhaustive complaints about incessant buzzing"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
459 Posts
*Sigh*


I never mentioned Pioneer in this thread. I am very cautious to not interject specific brand issues in brand generic threads or owner threads for other brands. You brought up Pioneer; how do you even know that is the brand to which I referred?


The issues you found with Hitachi were not, as I mentioned, chronic or multi-model issues. By your logic, when Dell had fan problems with 20% of its Dimension PCs, that issue wasn't relevant because if you aggregated all the issues posted about Apple products there were a number of defects. Therefore, Apple's QC process had to be suspect as well.

Quote:
D-Nice wrote: Of those owners, 111 participated in the buzz poll. 15 reported it was either "annoying" or "it's the reason I returned the set". Are you attempting to say that 15 truly negative reports justifies your comments:

Again, I didn't mention Pioneer, but since you ask the question. Heck yes, I'd say that would justify my comment. A 14% failure rate...I'm just glad they don't make defibrillators.

Quote:
D-Nice wrote: Pointing out the flaws of one manufacturer and then attempting to say said manufacturer doesn't have good QC because of another manufacturer's "video" when YOU are clueless to said manufacturer's QC process is quite asinine and isn't a personal attack.

I didn't point out the flaws of one manufacturer, you did. I never made an particular statements about any other manufacture's QC process, other than to indicate that they could benefit from what I saw in the video. I stand by that. If they have the same process, then they need to find out why its not working, because to use your extremely conservative numbers, 14% of their customers say their QC process isn't working.


Again...I've never called you silly, or your comments asinine. I don't think that kind of vitriol is helpful. Clearly you are a brand advocate and thus feel some obligation to defend "your" brand even when it is not specifically called out.


I am a consumer advocate. I don't really care what brand someone gets and I think all of them have room for improvement. By ignoring the issue, you can't help it improve.


pax,

rwr
 
1 - 20 of 60 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top