AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I respect that some people see no benefit in paying for a monthly Tivo service, and are content to have a PVR that operates as a digital VCR, while others (like me) hate doing without Tivo in the HD world. Isn't there a way that Dishplayer, Zenith, and other PVR's could allow the OPTION of their devices being used with the Tivo service if their customers are willing to pay for it? It seems to me that this should be possible, making us all happy, and giving Tivo some potential new markets.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Tivo, the company, does license their design to various third party manufacturers. But I'm sure they don't license it for free, so manufacturers like Zenith/LG may believe that a cheaper VCR type PVR will sell fine vs a slightly more expensive Tivo. As far as Dish goes, it is possible that DirecTV signed an exclusive satellite license with Tivo - I have no idea if this is true, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Tivo has announced that they will have HD capable PVRs by the end of year.

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
Also - keep in mind that TiVo software is not so "general purpose" that it can run on any hardware. If the vendor didn't design their system based on a TiVo reference hardware platform then it is unlikely that they could run the TiVo software.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ptrubey and pvr

Thanks. You both make good points. Guess I'll just wait for the HD-Tivo units to arrive at the beginning of next year.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ptrubey
Tivo has announced that they will have HD capable PVRs by the end of year.
Do other HD PVRs currently exist? If so, do any of these record OTA? I am mainly interested in OTA HD timeshifting at first and don't want to pay a monthly subscription fee unless I add satellite programming in the future. I have not yet gone HDTV, have sufficient brainpower to program a conventional VCR and currently don't care to pay fees for Starsight or Tivo in the analog world.

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
HDTimeShifter,

The only HDTV PVR now available is the Zenith model, and it carries a rather outrageous price of $999 just for OTA with a single tuner and limited recording capacity. I guess when you have the only HDTV PVR on the market, you can charge a premium. The Dish 921 HDTV PVR is coming circa September, while the HDTV Tivo PVRs are coming late this year or early next.

I think if you tried or spent time with Tivo, even in the analog world, you wouldn't be able to live without it. You don't have to worry about setting timers or switching tapes as you do on a VCR; you select your favorite shows from the graphical guide, and it records every episode of your shows (and doesn't record repeats) for the new season. If there is a change in the schedule of the program (ex. changes from Monday to Tuesday, or its delayed from 8pm to 9pm because of a special event), the Tivo takes all those changes into account without any user intervention. If you have favorite actor or director, you can have the Tivo automatically record every program with that actor or by that director. Of course, you also get DVD playback functions like pause, fast forward, rewind, etc, plus commercial skip. The Tivo has built-in capacity for 80 hours of programming, and you can upgrade the hard drive to increase that.

With Tivo's new Home Media Option, you can have several Tivos (which run $199 on sale) in your home, and access all of your recordings from any Tivo box using wireless. You can also set and change the record settings and scheduling for your Tivo over the Internet with a web browser. You can read more about Tivo here or on the Tivo Community forums .

·
Registered
513 Posts
Note that the Zenith HDR230 (the Zenith HD PVR) has been announced for May delivery, but it hasn't shipped yet. You can find info about it on Zenith's web site. A local dealer that I talked to said the May date was a pipedream, others than I haven't talked to on this forum say May is firm.

If it is available soon, I'll be buying one even though I agree that Tivo functionality is far superior. It's just that I want to have an HD PVR now, and before the fall football season.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.