AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like Panasonic.. My First flat screen TV was a TAU model.. I might have the Panny CRT on my list if it wasn't for this blatant omission..

·
Premium Member
18,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBI
I like Panasonic.. My First flat screen TV was a TAU model.. I might have the Panny CRT on my list if it wasn't for this blatant omission..
Aside from some XBOX games being 720p, there's just no real need for a TV to input 720p since all HD STBs can be set to output 480p and/or 1080i.

Do you need 720p for certain XBOX games? If not, why else would you need it?

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters
Aside from some XBOX games being 720p, there's just no real need for a TV to input 720p since all HD STBs can be set to output 480p and/or 1080i.

Do you need 720p for certain XBOX games? If not, why else would you need it?
Yeah.. I remember you saying that.. I also heard that the 360 will upscale 720p to 1080i on all their games.. I know some stations like fox only show HD in 720p, so will every STB upconvert the signal to 1080i? I never used a STB before.. I only have a built in HD tuner in my Samsung.. Too many decisions to make.. Do the Panasonic 34inch HD monitors have a higher horizontal resolution then the Samsungs? I'm interested in the 34inch Toshibas (before Orion) & the XBR line due to their higher resolution..

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBI
...so will every STB upconvert the signal to 1080i? I never used a STB before.. I only have a built in HD tuner in my Samsung.. ..
I don't think you have any worries here. All the STBs I know of accept all the common DTV formats and let you output 1080i, 720p, 480p & 480i.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsc
I don't think you have any worries here. All the STBs I know of accept all the common DTV formats and let you output 1080i, 720p, 480p & 480i.
Cool.. I'm from San Jose too.. Milpitas area.. :D

·
Registered
258 Posts
CRT units cant display both formats because of the electron gun that operates the unit can only run at a certain speed. Its not only Panasonic, its most major brands, if not all.

Panasonic is a really great brand for all uses. I spoke to the regional manager yesterday and he said that TAU is just another word for FLATSCREEN.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBI
Yeah.. I remember you saying that.. I also heard that the 360 will upscale 720p to 1080i on all their games.. I know some stations like fox only show HD in 720p, so will every STB upconvert the signal to 1080i? I never used a STB before.. I only have a built in HD tuner in my Samsung.. Too many decisions to make.. Do the Panasonic 34inch HD monitors have a higher horizontal resolution then the Samsungs? I'm interested in the 34inch Toshibas (before Orion) & the XBR line due to their higher resolution..
The Xbox 360 will support 720p NATIVELY on ALL GAMES. All titles, regardless of which you pick up WILL support 720p, showing every line of 1280x720 with NO scaling. 720p is certain, 1080i is not. 1080i "may" be included if the developer chooses to go the extra mile, but it is not a safe bet. Certainly not as much as 720p support is. If you get a Panasonic, you'll be out of luck with 360 games. Unless the title you get is one of the few that supports 1080i. What Panasonic should do is set their native resolution at 1080i and at least offer 720p upconversion. It would not look as good as 720p natively, but it'd look better then not being able to display the game in any kind of HD because the games support 720p but the tv and only show 1080i.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have my cable plugged directly into my sony with no box in between. My display info indicates some shows in 720p so I'm guessing that if I had the same setup with a panny, those shows would be blank. At the time of puchase, I didn't think the lack of 720p on the panny would cause any pain and was considereing one as an alternative but now I tend to think otherwise. Of course if you have a settop box for your cable, it would matter less.

·
Premium Member
18,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBrian
I have my cable plugged directly into my sony with no box in between. My display info indicates some shows in 720p so I'm guessing that if I had the same setup with a panny, those shows would be blank. At the time of puchase, I didn't think the lack of 720p on the panny would cause any pain and was considereing one as an alternative but now I tend to think otherwise. Of course if you have a settop box for your cable, it would matter less.
It doesn't work that way. Panasonic doesn't make a tube TV with a built-in ATSC tuner like Sony does so it doesn't matter that it doesn't input 720p. If their tube TVs had an ATSC tuner like their Plasma TVs do then the TV would display 720p channels normally just like their Plasmas do, just not through the Component inputs. I watched the 720p HD channels on my 32" HD-ready Panny tube through the HD cable box and i simply set it up downconvert 720p signals to 1080i and the TV displayed it just fine.

Like i said, unless you absolutely want to play 720p XBOX games in 720p instead of setting it to output 480p then there is no need for a TV to support 720p. Obviously Panasonic doesn't think XBOX support is worth the expense of making all their TVs 720p friendly.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters
...i simply set it up downconvert 720p signals to 1080i and the TV displayed it just fine...
That strikes me kinda funny. It seems you feel 720p has superior PQ to 1080i. I used to be in the very same camp until I got my 34" Sony set home. I just fail to see the "flicker" that's supposed to accompany interlaced material. To me it looks both sharp and smooth.

Maybe it's just my 49 year old eyes... :eek:

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonikku
The Xbox 360 will support 720p NATIVELY on ALL GAMES. All titles, regardless of which you pick up WILL support 720p, showing every line of 1280x720 with NO scaling. 720p is certain, 1080i is not. 1080i "may" be included if the developer chooses to go the extra mile, but it is not a safe bet. Certainly not as much as 720p support is. If you get a Panasonic, you'll be out of luck with 360 games. Unless the title you get is one of the few that supports 1080i. What Panasonic should do is set their native resolution at 1080i and at least offer 720p upconversion. It would not look as good as 720p natively, but it'd look better then not being able to display the game in any kind of HD because the games support 720p but the tv and only show 1080i.
I read that the Xbox360 has a built in scaler.. So it will upconvert 720p signals to 1080i.. Kind of like what a STB does.. I still like having the 720p support.. I'm a huge gamer by the way..

·
Registered
258 Posts
1080i is for everything usage and 720p is for fast moving images such as sports and live action.

·
Registered
258 Posts
1080i is for everything usage and 720p is for fast moving images such as sports and live action. And justsc, i have a 1080i set and i dont see any flickering, and my eyes are VERY young.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wolf
1080i is for everything usage and 720p is for fast moving images such as sports and live action. And justsc, i have a 1080i set and i dont see any flickering, and my eyes are VERY young.
So good to hear. Thanks! I was used to PS from my computer systems, especially my 17" Apple laptop. And I have read exhaustively about the "battle" raging between the 1080i and 720p camps. It's a brutal fight. And it almost always comes down to interlaced interline flicker. So I was a bit afraid when I bought my 34" Sony set. But, as we've both seen, the flicker is just not so apparent (to us at least).

Thanks for letting me put off my visit to the optometrist. ;)

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Doesn't almost every tv convert a 720p picture anyway?(I know Panasonic does not allow a direct 720p input period, which is only a big deal if you are a gamer. In any other set-up, it is a non-issue).

There are 18 different ATSC formats anyway, so who knows which one, in the end, will be ruling the roost anyhow.

I've always like the picture the Panny HDTV'S delivered(also the SD/analog image they delivered as well). The bells and whistles on the 36HL43 and 36HL44 were always a sweet add on. If you could find one these around new at a good price, I would say grab it.

Also, didn't Panny make a 36HDL44(I think that is the right model #) that HAD a built in tuner? I am not sure if it was ever available in the states or not, but they had a press release that listed it($1699+tax MSRP I think?). Not sure if it ever was released here or even made.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.