AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I follow the Blue Jackets, and I'm sifting through their schedule and noticing that a lot of their games aren't in HD on FSN Ohio.

For games that aren't in HD on FSN Ohio, there are times that the opponent's TV channel is FSN and has it in HD. (This happens at least four times.) There are also times when FSN Ohio has the game in HD, and the opponent's TV channel is FSN and doesn't have it in HD. (This hapens at least eight times.)

My question is what holds back FSNs from sharing a HD feed? I can undertstand when one network is FSN and another is not FSN-owned, but is each FSN so independent that they're not sister stations despite having the same FSN banner? Because you'd think that they could share HD feeds more often and get more games in HD to everyone. All you need is for the cameras to shoot the game, and each production facility can tailor the on-screen displays (scoring graphics, promotional graphics, etc.) for their own regional network.

This also isn't necessarily a hockey thing; I'm sure it applies to a lot of such situations where two different FSNs are broadcasting a game in a given sport and only one is doing it in HD. But I'd like to know why the FSNs don't collaborate more, and what factors (if any) hold that up.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,622 Posts
They have an HD infrastructure bottle neck. A new facility in Houston is scheduled to open soon, which will "greatly increase HD capacity".

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H /forum/post/12893598

They have an HD infrastructure bottle neck. A new facility in Houston is scheduled to open soon, which will "greatly increase HD capacity".

Thank you for the response. I hope that will make things a lot better across the board once they open that facility.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,622 Posts
IIRC, it was originally due to go live last October, so hopefully it should be almost ready.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If they can get it live for baseball season (which is probably more revenue than hockey for FSN), that would be great. Around here, it would impact the Reds more, since the Indians have their own channel, but I still love to watch games in HD.

·
Premium Member
6,261 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj1999y2j /forum/post/12893263

For games that aren't in HD on FSN Ohio, there are times that the opponent's TV channel is FSN and has it in HD. (This happens at least four times.) There are also times when FSN Ohio has the game in HD, and the opponent's TV channel is FSN and doesn't have it in HD. (This hapens at least eight times.)

Many times when two FSNs are producing an event they produce it as a dual feed production. The production truck they use is capable of producing two separate broadcasts using the same resources. Usually the home show will do its normal show, and the visitor show will have 2 or 3 cameras that are their own. This allows the visitor show to produce a show with that is tailored to their region. Those 2 or 3 cameras that the visitor show has are used to show something that would be of interest to the visitor's region such as a ISO shot of someone on the visiting team or something that the announcers are talking about, while they still have access to the main game cameras and the other cameras that are under the control of the home show.

Many times a game is produced in a HD capable truck but is shown in SD because of lack of master control resources or the extra costs to output and transmit HD from the facility to master control.

Quote:

My question is what holds back FSNs from sharing a HD feed? I can undertstand when one network is FSN and another is not FSN-owned, but is each FSN so independent that they're not sister stations despite having the same FSN banner? Because you'd think that they could share HD feeds more often and get more games in HD to everyone. All you need is for the cameras to shoot the game, and each production facility can tailor the on-screen displays (scoring graphics, promotional graphics, etc.) for their own regional network.

The graphics for the most part all come from the production truck. A whole lot more then cameras are needed to produce something in HD. Sharing one HD feed would mean that both regions showing the game would see the same production, with the same promos, graphics, and announcers. This would mean one region would be receiving the wrong feed with the wrong announcers and no local content.

The use of dual feed trucks as described above has allowed the FSNs to produced more HD games if they had been using single feed trucks. Most of the dual feeds are where two FSNs are broadcasting, however, a few other non-FSN broadcasters do dual feeds as well on occasion. Also remember that not all FSNs are owned by FSN(News Corp).

Quote:

This also isn't necessarily a hockey thing; I'm sure it applies to a lot of such situations where two different FSNs are broadcasting a game in a given sport and only one is doing it in HD. But I'd like to know why the FSNs don't collaborate more, and what factors (if any) hold that up.

The main factors are cost, master control resources, and truck availability, it costs more to do HD, FSN has limited HD master control resources, and sometimes a HD truck is not available. More HD trucks are coming online each year and as Ken mentioned FSN is opening a new master control facility in Houston to handle more HD.

However, FSN Ohio is one of the few FSNs that is not run out of the current Houston facility currently. I do not know if they will be moving to the new facility when it opens.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H /forum/post/12893899

IIRC, it was originally due to go live last October, so hopefully it should be almost ready.

I've heard that the facility is partly operational and they began transitioning operations to it last week. They are hoping to have a major portion of the transitioning complete by the end of February.

I would expect the new facility to become completely operational over a period of months.

·
Registered
260 Posts
i think the Pirates and the Cardinals have shared HD before on FSN -- not 100% sure...

I wish this happened more too -- I also with Comcast would get FSN its own channel for HD because it is impossible to DVR a sporting event in HD when they are always preempting.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by afail /forum/post/12894634

i think the Pirates and the Cardinals have shared HD before on FSN -- not 100% sure...

I wish this happened more too -- I also with Comcast would get FSN its own channel for HD because it is impossible to DVR a sporting event in HD when they are always preempting.

Comcast here added a full-time channel for FSN North's HD events in December and currently FSN North does very little HD (only 10 Wild and 10 Timberwolves games this yeaR) The HD games previously pre-empted MOJO.

You should get one soon.

·
Registered
298 Posts
The situation for college basketball/football has gotten better this year, but is far from perfect. The FSN games produced regionally in HD are shared with 20-30 other FSNs on a regular basis, but some (like FSN-Cincinnati) choose not to pick up the HD feed of the game even when they are carrying the SD feed. Anyone know why? I don't think it would be the same issue with the pro stuff because we are only talking out one feed, not two.

I'd personally like to see more college basketball carried in HD by FSN. Most of the HD appears limited to the Pac-10 and Big 12. How about some A-10 or MAC games in HD for a change?

·
Premium Member
6,261 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylab /forum/post/12895946

The situation for college basketball/football has gotten better this year, but is far from perfect. The FSN games produced regionally in HD are shared with 20-30 other FSNs on a regular basis, but some (like FSN-Cincinnati) choose not to pick up the HD feed of the game even when they are carrying the SD feed. Anyone know why? I don't think it would be the same issue with the pro stuff because we are only talking out one feed, not two.

That most likely has to do with FSN Ohio not being run from the Houston facility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylab /forum/post/12895946

I'd personally like to see more college basketball carried in HD by FSN. Most of the HD appears limited to the Pac-10 and Big 12. How about some A-10 or MAC games in HD for a change?

The Pac-10 and Big 12 games are national while the other games are not, that would be the big reason why FSN does not do the other games in HD.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I know that I've seen FSN Florida-produced HD baseball and basketball in Atlanta a few times over the last year, and I think I've seen a Hawks away game from somewhere in the southwest in HD on FSN South as well, so it does happen... it just needs to be as frequent as possible and hopefully the new facility will allow that

·
Registered
550 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzen102 /forum/post/12894580

I've heard that the facility is partly operational and they began transitioning operations to it last week. They are hoping to have a major portion of the transitioning complete by the end of February.

I would expect the new facility to become completely operational over a period of months.

Wow what great news. Any idea how long it will take from that point and to the point where they will actually start carrying more hockey games in HD? Here in Los Angeles I only get about one game per month in HD.
Watching hockey in SD on an HDTV is just painful. Coupled with the fact that Southern Cal has among the lowest number of HD channels available in the country, this would be welcome indeed.

Rudy

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
FSN Arizona did a couple away Coyotes games this season, though they were in geographically close markets (Anaheim and San Jose). The home broadcast for the Anaheim game was in SD in FSN Prime, and the home broadcast for the San Jose game was in SD on FSN Bay Area. The only Coyotes games this season airing in HD for both the home and away markets are the 3/20 and 3/27 games vs. the LA Kings in Phoenix and LA respectively, both being covered by FSN AZ and FSN West.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by homcom /forum/post/12894533

Many times when two FSNs are producing an event they produce it as a dual feed production. The production truck they use is capable of producing two separate broadcasts using the same resources. Usually the home show will do its normal show, and the visitor show will have 2 or 3 cameras that are their own. This allows the visitor show to produce a show with that is tailored to their region. Those 2 or 3 cameras that the visitor show has are used to show something that would be of interest to the visitor's region such as a ISO shot of someone on the visiting team or something that the announcers are talking about, while they still have access to the main game cameras and the other cameras that are under the control of the home show.

Many times a game is produced in a HD capable truck but is shown in SD because of lack of master control resources or the extra costs to output and transmit HD from the facility to master control.

The graphics for the most part all come from the production truck. A whole lot more then cameras are needed to produce something in HD. Sharing one HD feed would mean that both regions showing the game would see the same production, with the same promos, graphics, and announcers. This would mean one region would be receiving the wrong feed with the wrong announcers and no local content.

The use of dual feed trucks as described above has allowed the FSNs to produced more HD games if they had been using single feed trucks. Most of the dual feeds are where two FSNs are broadcasting, however, a few other non-FSN broadcasters do dual feeds as well on occasion. Also remember that not all FSNs are owned by FSN(News Corp).

The main factors are cost, master control resources, and truck availability, it costs more to do HD, FSN has limited HD master control resources, and sometimes a HD truck is not available. More HD trucks are coming online each year and as Ken mentioned FSN is opening a new master control facility in Houston to handle more HD.

However, FSN Ohio is one of the few FSNs that is not run out of the current Houston facility currently. I do not know if they will be moving to the new facility when it opens.

Thanks for replying. Some interesting information to read, especially on the part that FSN Ohio is currently not out of the same production facility.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homcom /forum/post/12894533

Many times when two FSNs are producing an event they produce it as a dual feed production. The production truck they use is capable of producing two separate broadcasts using the same resources. Usually the home show will do its normal show, and the visitor show will have 2 or 3 cameras that are their own. This allows the visitor show to produce a show with that is tailored to their region.

Last weekend when the Red Wings played the Sharks at the "tank", the game was in HD on FSBA but in SD on FSD. Why couldn't they share the resources and give us a night with Ken and Mick in HD?

Go Wings!!

·
Premium Member
6,261 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3trojan /forum/post/12904690

Last weekend when the Red Wings played the Sharks at the "tank", the game was in HD on FSBA but in SD on FSD. Why couldn't they share the resources and give us a night with Ken and Mick in HD?

Go Wings!!

They did share resources and the FSD broadcast was produced out of an HD truck. However, it still costs more to output an HD feed and transmit it back to the Houston Master Control facility. Also they may not have been enough HD master control resources to handle the FSD feed that night.

A good number of events on the regional level are produced in HD capable production trucks yet only broadcast in SD.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homcom /forum/post/12904795

A good number of events on the regional level are produced in HD capable production trucks yet only broadcast in SD.

What a waste...

·
Registered
2,488 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyG /forum/post/12901106

Wow what great news. Any idea how long it will take from that point and to the point where they will actually start carrying more hockey games in HD? Here in Los Angeles I only get about one game per month in HD.
Watching hockey in SD on an HDTV is just painful. Coupled with the fact that Southern Cal has among the lowest number of HD channels available in the country, this would be welcome indeed.

Rudy

I have no ETA. They probably will not announce additional HD games (above what is currently scheduled) for any of the FSNs until they have fully tested the new feeds into and out of Houston. Again, the new capacity will not suddenly be completely available one day - it will likely come on in stages.

We only average just over 1 Wild game a month here in HD on FSN North as well.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
FSN Ohio seldom sends any "HD" show information to any of the program guides. The "HD" sits idle most of the time. But from time to time an unlisted live game is run.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts