AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you may or may not know, Tivo has no way of showing how much free space you have on your unit! Replay shows this all over the place, making it easy to see what's available, and obviously lets you make it non-guaranteed if you prefer to save space for more important things.

Why is this never mentioned? I hear the same old "To-Do list! To-Do List!" shoted from the mountain tops every time the two are compared. But never the free space meter....

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
That's because Tivo users have no need for such a meter. Since all decision making is done by the machine what's the point in cluttering up the user interface with useless information and further confusing the user? :D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BaysideBas
That's because Tivo users have no need for such a meter. Since all decision making is done by the machine what's the point in cluttering up the user interface with useless information and further confusing the user? :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
How's that, toots?

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Or maybe because the Free Space meter is fairly useless.

Back-to-back episodes of Friends but with 128 hours of free space?!?! Still won't record that second episode.

You get the idea...

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
For some of us, it's because we're tired of all the whole pointless bickering and just wish it would stop, from both sides.

·
Registered
281 Posts
OK, I have my fire proof suit on, but this is a serious question, not flame baiting. If it gets out of hand, I'll delete my post.

How does the free space meter work on a Replay? From what I understand (and I don't have a Replay), you assign a time value to all your channels. If you set your Friends channel to 1.5 hours, you will get three episodes (or a one hour special and a half hour episode.) If your Friends channel is set to half an hour, it won't record the one hour special, even if the rest of your hard drive is empty. Is this correct? If so, I think that's why a free space meter on a Replay isn't touted. (Unless it is a free space meter based on channels.)

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jtl
...we're tired of all the whole pointless bickering...
Aw come on jtl, I have it on good authority you're more fun than that!! True... those fish have already been fried and it's on to more important things... ;);)
Quote:
Originally posted by jtl

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Gnarf

What are we going to do tonight, Brain?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Same thing we do every night, Pinky. Treat our customers as thieves and run scared from the boundless opportunity of new technology.
http://www.molehill.org/~jtl/misc/jack_valenti.jpg

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
But those are the STUDIOS. That's DIFFERENT.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jtl
But those are the STUDIOS. That's DIFFERENT.
Are you sure about that? Never know who's payin the bill. Well if so, they sure ain't gittin much for the money. :rolleyes:

Nope, not a moments boredom!!

Life is rich! :cool::cool:

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Hey, you guys better start mentioning this quick... Tivo's already announced that the decision to have a "free space" indicator (which isn't, in my opinion, the way for them to go) or a "tell me when I'll start losing stuff" indicator (which I prefer) has been made and is in development, presumedly for the next software upgrade.

My thinking is that if it told me I had 10 hours "free" right now, I have no idea how long those 10 hours are going to last me. (With multiple Tivos and multiple people scheduling things I don't know exactly how much each Tivo is going to record on a given day. Not to mention auto-record wishlists that could use up more than the "normal" recording volume).

So, I'd have to take the current free space, and then go to the To Do List to see when I'll actually run out of space.

I'd much prefer some indication of when I'll run out of space, and not worry about how much space is currently free.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Here's a perfect example how knowing just the free space doesn't solve the problem (and could lead to confusion) on a Tivo:
Quote:
Originally posted by rseligman
For example, to know when TiVo will start deleting shows to make room for others, I add up all the shows in Now Playing, and subtract that from the total capacity of my TiVo.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Philosofy
OK, I have my fire proof suit on, but this is a serious question, not flame baiting. If it gets out of hand, I'll delete my post.

How does the free space meter work on a Replay? From what I understand (and I don't have a Replay), you assign a time value to all your channels. If you set your Friends channel to 1.5 hours, you will get three episodes (or a one hour special and a half hour episode.) If your Friends channel is set to half an hour, it won't record the one hour special, even if the rest of your hard drive is empty. Is this correct? If so, I think that's why a free space meter on a Replay isn't touted. (Unless it is a free space meter based on channels.)
That's basically it.

Except for a ReplayChannel WILL "expand" to an hour for that special Friends episode.

IF there's enough Guaranteed space.

And IF there's no other conflict.

If for some reason it can't expand, it won't tell you; it'll just skip the episode. Sorry, no Season Finale for you! ;)

Actually the more I think about it, this entire thread is pointless. There is no "Free Space Meter" on Replay.

I CANNOT look at a screen and know how many hours of shows I have recorded vs. free space.

What I have is a "Guaranteed Space Meter".

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.