AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If one of the common methods for treating room acoustics is to hang/mount fiberglass panels/frames to the wall, then why bother putting up drywall in the first place? It seems like you could just insulate your frames, and run fire-rated cloth around the room by using the studs as anchor points. Am I crazy? I can imagine build codes might come up as a reason, but is there any reason from a sound-treatment standpoint where this would be a bad idea?

Nathaniel

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Code issues notwithstanding - the drywall is central to soundproofing. Without it, you'll be listening to the rest of the house and neighborhood instead of your system. That's enough of a reason for me.

Further, I imagine that you'd end up with better ambiance and envelopment by having a consistent barrier of fixed distance and quality.

Fred

·
Registered
2,018 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanieljla  /t/1418272/why-drywall-at-all#post_22181911

Am I crazy?

Lack of sound containment would be the 2nd reason not to skip the drywall. Your family's safety would be the first. Drywall is a necessary component of your wall assembly in order to achieve a specific fire rating. 1/2" drywall has a 30 minute rating and is a critical piece in a) keeping fire from spreading from one side of the wall to the other and b) reducing the amount of O2 in your wall cavity should a fire start within your wall. Fabric alone won't do either of those things.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I figured I'd get schooled rather quickly on the topic. I guess it's kind of a moot point since it's not up to code anyway

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
You could however do essentially just what you proposed with the addition of a second drywalled structure several feet or more beyond your fabric walls. This is precisely what is used in some professional control room or mastering type environments. The inner shell deals with speculation energy and reflections, the outer shell deals with modal energy and behavior.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts