AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering some of the newer soon to be released blue ray players (Denon & Pioneer) and I'm trying to plan for all the cable needs for my system.

One feature that I see with these higher-end players is dual HDMI outputs .

My set up is pretty simple. This is what I originally planned.

My BDB will hook up to my Denon AVR5308ci via HDMI, from there my 5308ci it will output to my Elite Kuro 141FD plasma. Simple.

Would my set up benefit from dual HDMI outputs?

How would I hook it up?

Right now I'm only planning on one HDMI cable to my Kuro, but I can put another one in if it's going improve performance.

I've read the manual on the new Elite LX91 and it shows a diagram with the Dual hook up but I'm confused.

It shows one HDMI cable going out of the LX91 to the receiver, and another going out from the LX91 to the TV. Essentially splitting the HDMI signal so audio goes to the receiver and video goes to the TV (I think that is the logic).

What I don't get is what about non-BDB audio/video?

How does the audio/video pass via HDMI through the receiver and TV if all the HDMI cable go's through the BDP? Do I run another HDMI cable from my receiver to my Kuro?

So, if the above is true I basically I would have one HDMI output on my receiver going to my Kuro and from my BDP I would have one HDMI cable going to my receiver and one going to my Plasma. Overall two HDMI's to my Kuro.

Correct?

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
some people dont want to run everything through their AVR. i for one prefer direct connections and if my AVR could decode HD audio over HDMI, i would want two outputs to run one to the pro-150fd and one to the AVR.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrell /forum/post/15524862

some people dont want to run everything through their AVR. i for one prefer direct connections and if my AVR could decode HD audio over HDMI, i would want two outputs to run one to the pro-150fd and one to the AVR.

Exactly,some AVR's process the video or can't pass 1080p.I want a direct connection to my tv for video and think dual HDMI is a great idea.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Running one HDMI cable for video straight to the display also lets you calibrate the individual input. The second HDMI is great because you can still get the HD audio.

Having your AVR switch everything means your display is only using one input and all sources are calibrated the same unless you have CEC enabled devices and are using it.

I prefer the simplicity of having the AVR do all the switching.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviegeek /forum/post/15524903

Exactly,some AVR's process the video or can't pass 1080p.I want a direct connection to my tv for video and think dual HDMI is a great idea.

In my case the Denon AVR5308ci does pass 1080p/24 and does HD decoding.

I can see the advantage that I can calibrate the individual BDP input on the Kuro separate from the rest.

Is their any another benift for me based on my setup?

·
Registered
82 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blownaway /forum/post/15525078

Is their any another benift for me based on my setup?

Yes, there are 2 main reasons (AFAIK). In 'normal' language this is:

1. HDMI is not a great connection from an audio-quality point-of-view. The main disadvantage is the amount of jitter that is related to it. If you seperate the audio from the video, the connections are much cleaner and suposedly better to control (according to some manufacturers, like Meridian).

2. If you hook a Pioneer BD-player up directly to the Pioneer Kuro, they have a special feature in place that somehow enhances the quality once again. Please refer to the manual or LX91 owners-thread for the exact function of this.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Is it safe to say that the LX91 is the only B-R player known to have two HDMI outputs?

Has there been any mention of bringing this model stateside?

-SUO

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gekke henkie /forum/post/15529380

Yes, there are 2 main reasons (AFAIK). In 'normal' language this is:

1. HDMI is not a great connection from an audio-quality point-of-view. The main disadvantage is the amount of jitter that is related to it. If you seperate the audio from the video, the connections are much cleaner and suposedly better to control (according to some manufacturers, like Meridian).

2. If you hook a Pioneer BD-player up directly to the Pioneer Kuro, they have a special feature in place that somehow enhances the quality once again. Please refer to the manual or LX91 owners-thread for the exact function of this.

Good points.

Is this how it would be connected?

I basically I would have one HDMI output on BDP that goes to my Kuro (for the video).

I run the 2nd HDMI output (called "sub" on the LX-91) on the BDP to my reciever (for the audio).

I then would need to run another HDMI output from my reciever to my Kuro.

Overall I would end up with two HDMI's to my Kuro, one from my BDP and the other from my 5308.

Correct?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUOrangeman /forum/post/15529517

Is it safe to say that the LX91 is the only B-R player known to have two HDMI outputs?

-SUO

The new Denon DVD-A1UD BDP will also have dual HDMI outputs with a US release in the next month or two.

·
Premium Member
24,206 Posts
What I am plannning... When I get my hands on the 09FD I am planning to test it both ways. My PJ (VW200) has two HDMI inputs. So I plan to use one with the video coming straight from the 09FD while sending the audio straight to my 886 PRO. I also plan to send both video and audio from the 09FD thru my Edge VP which then sends video to my PJ and the audio to my 886 PRO. Should be interesting...

·
Registered
82 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUOrangeman /forum/post/15529517

-SUO

No, there also is the upcoming Denon scheduled for Spring (almost double the price at about $3.5K).

Yes, Pioneer's US-model is called the BD09 and ships next week (about $2K).

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
Every source component I have ever purchased that had two outputs has been very benificial over the long run. I alway send up using it at some point in time.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Here's my use for dual HDMI outputs of the Integra 9.8 prepro:

I often don't want to fire up the projector to make changes to the settings on the PS3, listen to commentaries, use the OSD of my Velodyne SMS-1 subwoofer equalizer, or anything that only takes a few minutes. Too many on/off cycles supposedly shortens lamp life. I have a Samsung 24" monitor with HDMI so I use that for secondary display.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gekke henkie /forum/post/15535846

Yes, it is (with the 3rd cable from AVR to Kuro beeing optional).

Thanks for your help

RE: the 3rd cable you mention as "optional"

I'm not sure that in my case, it would be optional. Let me explain.

My DVR will be connected via HDMI to my Denon 5308. The way I see it the only way to get a video signal to my Kuro is to run a 3rd HDMI from AVR to my Kuro.

In this case it really wouldn't be optional if I want video from my Direct TV DVR.

Right?

·
Registered
755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blownaway /forum/post/15539583

Thanks for your help

RE: the 3rd cable you mention as "optional"

I'm not sure that in my case, it would be optional. Let me explain.

My DVR will be connected via HDMI to my Denon 5308. The way I see it the only way to get a video signal to my Kuro is to run a 3rd HDMI from AVR to my Kuro.

In this case it really wouldn't be optional if I want video from my Direct TV DVR.

Right?

You are correct. This is the way I would run it as well. With the PS3 and Xbox 360 both having HDMI going into the receiver as well. The only device I would care about running video straight to the Kuro would be the BR player.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargus777 /forum/post/15542964

You are correct. This is the way I would run it as well. With the PS3 and Xbox 360 both having HDMI going into the receiver as well. The only device I would care about running video straight to the Kuro would be the BR player.

Thanks for conferming this.

Looks like I'm going to add a 2nd HDMI through the wall to my Kuro.

I don't have my Kuro installed yet. All my cables will be installed in advance.

1-Cat-5 and 2-HDMI & I should be good to go

·
Registered
6,908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gekke henkie /forum/post/15529380

HDMI is not a great connection from an audio-quality point-of-view.

Absolute nonsense!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts