Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After all, even THX masters for torch mode to look good :rolleyes: :

(scroll down 1/4 page to picture of 3 monitors)
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/2004/page10.html

Sarcasm aside, this just proves that the industry, manufacturers and consumers still have a long way to go.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's the relevant text:

"A video compressionist looking at video signals to determine optimum compression for this scene in The Empire Strikes Back. Note the three monitors above: the left monitor is calibrated correctly on a monthly basis; the center one is misadjusted to show noise in compression that isn't normally seen on a calibrated monitor; and the third is a larger screen that is uncalibrated, representing factory preset "torch modes" of high brightness that are found on most consumers' televisions...unfortunately, the reality is that most people's TVs aren't set up correctly, so the television on the right is there to make sure that the video looks acceptable on those TVs as well."

·
Registered
694 Posts
Sarcasm to the front:

WOW! I would never have imagined that a properly calibrated monitor would actually show a completely different scene. I thought contrast, brightness, color, etc was all that was adjustable during a calibration.

I'm also really glad I don't have what appears to be vehicles in the bottom black bar of my non professionally calibrated monitor or a black band in the middle of the screen. :D:D:D

OK, sarcasm to the side again.

Lew

·
Read the FAQ!
36,410 Posts
lexlew,

Don't you agree that the "torch mode" display looks best? Bigger, too. I bet they sell more of those.

Someone ought to get these folks a Denon 5900 for use with the middle display (the one setup to emphasize compression errors). Then maybe we'd be able to get some DVDs that don't trigger the macroblocking bug. Clearly their Panasonic player just aint doing the job for them.

--Bob

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And I thought that I was being sarcastic!

But seriously, doesn't this crap just piss you off?

·
Registered
15,466 Posts
Yes. It always seems sad, and a mistake, when decisions concerning quality follow the lowest common denominator.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.