AVS Forum banner

Why everyone recommends pulling coax/rg6?

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  jautor 
#1 ·
Hi, I'm a newbie and just studying and learning it. Going through many tutorials, guides and the forums, I see that everyone recommends pulling rg6/coax to tv, or prewire it to all zones,

I know that the only place where I need it is from the satellite to the sat receiver.

If I'm planning to centralize the location of all my satellite receivers, then would I still need to pull those cables to all locations?

From the sat receivers to the TVs, the connection to be HDMI.

I might be missing out something, hope someone can clarify this. Thanks

#2 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiSoC8Y  /t/1422054/why-everyone-recommends-pulling-coax-rg6#post_22254587

Hi, I'm a newbie and just studying and learning it. Going through many tutorials, guides and the forums, I see that everyone recommends pulling rg6/coax to tv, or prewire it to all zones,

I know that the only place where I need it is from the satellite to the sat receiver.

If I'm planning to centralize the location of all my satellite receivers, then would I still need to pull those cables to all locations?

From the sat receivers to the TVs, the connection to be HDMI.

I might be missing out something, hope someone can clarify this. Thanks
It's best to have coax to each room, even if all of your receivers are in one central location. You may decide to throw up a rooftop antenna to receive local channels with all of their multicast channels. The necessary coax to the TV would be there. Our receivers are all in one location, but we decided to place a receiver in the guest bedroom for their convenience.

You likely will sell the house, in which case coax in each room is a lot more sellable than just an HDMI outlet.

#3 ·
RG6 was appropriate when all video was analog. That's usually not the case now. "High-speed" HDMI cables plus cat-6 network cables are more appropriate now for digital video signals. However, always allow for needing more cables than you expect -- either include a pull-string and use an oversized (or multiple) conduit, or pull extra cables to begin with, or both.

Bear in mind that many satellite receivers and cable boxes tend to have HDMI compatibility problems and often need to be connected directly by HDMI to the display instead of being routed through an audio/video receiver. As a result, additional digital audio connections (coax or optical) may need to be provided between the satellite boxes and the A/V receiver.

#4 ·
Yes, pull the RG6 if just for resale...  But even your plans, or technology, will change over time.  Digital cable or Sat with RVU type solutions work most easily over coax - because that's what is expected to be there.

In other words, don't "be weird".  You want to be more wired than normal folks, not different!

Jeff

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by egnlsn  /t/1422054/why-everyone-recommends-pulling-coax-rg6#post_22255790

So, you're suggesting that he be abnormal?

Wired, not weird!  Hey, that could be my new slogan!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.