AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My entire life I have never watched TV from over the air signals. Always some form of cable, VHS, DVD etc. Since most people never use their display internal TV tuner, why bother getting one?

Does Panasonic make plasma displays without tuners and either make them cheaper or better due to saving room and cost without the built in tuner?

Thanks!

·
Registered
148 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by panabolic /forum/post/17015653

My entire life I have never watched TV from over the air signals. Always some form of cable, VHS, DVD etc. Since most people never use their display internal TV tuner, why bother getting one?

Does Panasonic make plasma displays without tuners and either make them cheaper or better due to saving room and cost without the built in tuner?

Thanks!

Panasonic manufactures plasma monitors which are mainly intented for professional use. There is also another VX100 series for custom HT installations. However, they are not cheaper at all

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ah thanks for the info.

Just thinking of getting a monitor instead oh well

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
I've never used the tuner on any TV I've had in the last 25 years. Where I am, I get no OTA digital TV signal at all. Yet every TV I've bought in that time has had a tuner. Such a waste. And for over 15 years, I've never used the speakers or sound system of any TV, yet all my TVs have had speakers. But whenever I've done a comparison, a monitor (TV sans tuner and speakers) would have cost me more than a TV. So, I keep buying TVs and let their tuners and speakers go unused.

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecoleman /forum/post/17015968

I believe its the law now that all TV's be manufactured with tuners.

But Monitors aren't considered TVs, therefore the law allows them to be made without tuners. The 65" PF11UK and KRP600M are technically just a big PC monitor. How you use them in the privacy of your own home is your business

While i don't often use my TV's tuners, there are times when i'm really glad i have tuners. And my friends with DirecTV or Dish can watch TV in a bad rain storm when their service blacks out (it happens to us at work in heavy rain and i just switch to the $4 Rabbit Ears).

The Tuner in a Panasonic plasma is not expensive - mine lists for $42 so their cost is probably less than $10 so it's not much in the grand scheme of things and having it on all consumer models keeps things simple. The new 12G models have a new simpler and more basic chassis/backbone so they're saving manufacturing costs right there.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts

Quote:

Generally speaking Panasonic's plasma monitors now cost more than their TV equivalents. This was not the case a few years ago, but things have changed. The same thing applies to Samsung's plasma monitors, and theirs tend to lack a good selection of inputs anyway.

Pioneer, however, has very inexpensive monitors right now. I suggest you check out their KRP-xxxM lineup. You will find the pricing is actually cheaper than the equivalent Panasonic monitor.

·
Registered
363 Posts
^ I know, isn't it funny that good 'ol rabbit ears still give the best PQ available? People always get a kick out of that when I tell them.

Football on OTA is phenomenal!

Anyone know if there would be any difference in PQ in running the antenna straight to the TV vs. my Dish HD DVR? Obviously being able to use the DVR functions with the OTA is nice, but PQ wise?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I purchased a 141 about a month ago and will get it installed in 2 or 3 weeks when I have the rest of the equipment. I'll primarily use DirecTv but want a separate OTA tuner that will be attached to an external outdoor antenna. This will be for overall picture quality and for backup during storms, etc.

What is the best unit available for purchase?

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctouhey /forum/post/17018848

I purchased a 141 about a month ago and will get it installed in 2 or 3 weeks when I have the rest of the equipment. I'll primarily use DirecTv but want a separate OTA tuner that will be attached to an external outdoor antenna. This will be for overall picture quality and for backup during storms, etc.

Check into the DirecTV AM21 ATSC piggy-back OTA tuner - it may work with your existing D* Receiver.

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/01/09...iggyback-hr21/

·
Registered
518 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collusion /forum/post/17015835

Panasonic manufactures plasma monitors which are mainly intented for professional use. There is also another VX100 series for custom HT installations. However, they are not cheaper at all

We bought our plasma a couple years ago when most sets were still $3000 - $4000 (5000 for Pioneer). We saved like $500 or 600 then for getting a monitor (FWIW, before the flames start I should probably add that the $500 off was "a deal" from Fry's). I suppose now with prices cut so much the margins are a little slimmer, but I would think you still get some kind of cut. Especially since the transition and everyone wants a tuner?

·
Registered
483 Posts
I made sure that my Panny 50S1 had an OTA tuner before I bought it.

I have Directv, but when it rains really hard we lose the signal.

When that happens I just switch the input to the OTA antenna I have hooked up in the basement. It is connected to a coax outlet behind the tv which then connects direct to the tv.

That gives us all 3 networks, Fox, and some PBS stations.

And the picture quality is better than Directv.

The OTA tuner is great to have when needed.

Len in NC

·
Registered
135 Posts
Does the 50S1 have a QAM tuner? According to the specs it does. What is the procedure for punching in the QAM channels? My cable system carries the OTA broadcasts. I would like to compare the quality of cable vs OTA.

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean1955 /forum/post/17084314

Does the 50S1 have a QAM tuner? According to the specs it does. What is the procedure for punching in the QAM channels? My cable system carries the OTA broadcasts. I would like to compare the quality of cable vs OTA.

It has a QAM tuner, but a Cable-vs-OTA comparison will be difficult because you have to either set the tuner up for Cable or Antenna - it won't remember both source's channels together. If you want to switch tuner modes from say Cable to Antenna, you have to go into the Setup menu and re-scan the OTA channels into the tuner, which wipes out all the Cable channels you had in there before. And the cable companies like to move some of their local "HD" channels around from time to time so you have to do a re-scan to find them again, and their often buried in the middle of several dozen blank digital channels.

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctouhey /forum/post/17018848

I forgot to mention, in addition to the DirecTV AM21 piggy-back OTA tuner, the Tivo HD is an excellent OTA HD tuner and you can tune and/or record two different OTA HD channels simultaneously. The Tivo service ranges from about $9 to $12 per month. And when you connect it to your home network, you have access to other media like You Tube and Netflix and various podcasts etc.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts

Quote:

Thanks!

Over 20 percent of people in this country EXCLUSIVELY use OTA believe it or not, and a much larger segment use it in combination with other means of signal distribution. So there's still a market for it and as others have noted the FCC has always made sure the manufactures don't abandon this group. Granted the number certainly gets smaller much when you overlap it with the current plasma buying market but there is still some overlap, especially since those who can get HD channels OTA end up with a higher quality (i.e. less compressed) picture than satellite, telco or cable currently provide, so they prefer OTA.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts