AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that everyone has either taken up the HS10 or panny 300. Am I missing something here? The Z1 clocks in at around $1450 and the panny at around $1850, a difference of a even$400 bucks. Same res, and as far as I have seen (having the Z1 for about 3 weeks, and the 300 for a few hours) the 300's diffusers do no better job than simply a slight defocous on the Z1's focus ring. Anyone else have a different opinion on this?

PQ is think is a toss up. Z1 does have an advantage of better pixel matching (or rather the 300 simply cant) and the Z1 has the option of a really tight focus, usefull if you want to do some PC stuff on it.

Anyone else have a different view?

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
I think the Z1 is an excellent value. I haven't seen one yet (replacing my HT1000 with the Z1, because I can't handle the rainbows) however, although I did see an AE100 and a Sony VW10HT. I didn't like the latter two. I hope the Z1 is better!

I decided on the Z1, as a stop-gap until something more "revolutionary" comes along (SXRD or maybe an SCR DLP). I may use an HTPC, so 1:1 pixel matching made me chose the Z1 over the Panasonic 300, which isn't available in Canada yet anyways.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
As for the original question, I think the Z1 isn't discussed as much now because everyone has figured out how to tweak the hell out of it, and all the known bugs have workarounds. And, the Z1 is over a year old, isn't it?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I am a new Z1 owner (first pj too) and LOVING IT !! I have my cables arriving next weeka nd will be ready to go tweaking.

If any other Z1 owners have a collection of tweaks etc in txt files or anything would they PLEASE post it here or email to [email protected]

cheers

·
Registered
58 Posts
did someone have a fix for auto load up your saved modes for 1:1 pixel mapping? mine always loads wide-thru even though I set 1:1 for 960x540 which makes DVDs and DivX look amazing.

Maybe someone has a fix in the service menu?

·
Registered
81 Posts
That would be nice. I too have a Matinee 1HD an could use the above info.. This PJ rocks. No complaints as of yet. But just in case [email protected]

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just returned my Boxlight 1HD due to really bad color uniformity issues. Once I discovered the purple and green corners, I couldn't keep my eyes off of them. Not sure how common it is with this particular projector but I know of at least 3 threads complaining about it. It's a shame because now I don't know what other projector to get. Bottom line, as with any purchase, make sure you buy from a place with a good return policy.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
BackQuack, I believe that the color uniformity problems that plagued the Panny AE100 were fixed in the AE300. I didn't notice it with my AE300 (did so with my AE100) and I haven't seen anyone notice it on their AE300 either.

·
Registered
71 Posts
... with apologies to Magenta in "Rocky Horror"

The Z1 is only about 6 months old on the North American market.

I'm damn happy with mine. I don't have a major uniformity problem to deal with like some folks. But the important thing to remember is that uniformity is a problem with LCD - so don't preclude checking out the Z1 because of what you may have read on here.

What I *would* suggest is: if you are interested in blowing up your picture to wall-size dimensions, this would not be the projector for you. At this price range, and even up to twice the "street" price, I don't believe one projector can be all things to all people, and that shouldn't factor into a buying decision, only a "research" process.

Above all else, try to get a demo and/or educate yourself as much as possible about *reasonable* performance and expectations met and un-met at a given technology and price point.

Try to have some fun, and lay off the late night nachos - they interfere with dreams of xtra-high resolution projectors with perfect pixel mapping, hdtv compatibility and a price of only 500 bucks.

Do I spend a lot of time regretting my decision? nope. I'm checking in here on occasion to see 'sup, but I'm spending a lot of my leisure time having friends over for dinner and a movie or rediscovering my less cynical years :rolleyes:

good luck to ya. The Z1 *is* a really good projector; just keep your expectations reasonable and you'll be fine.

that is all....

Auntie Pati O'Lantern

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks for the input Xander. Not to get off topic here but I was actually looking at the Panny L200 and L300. I'll probably go with the 200 since I do mostly DVD viewing now. I figure the $500 I'll save will go towards upgrading to a better FP in 3-4 years when HDTV is more mainstream.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Most people have the most to say when the projector is new and keen to compare it to everything else. The Z1/1HD has now been out long enough that that initial discussion is over; the l300u is still new in North America.

I have my 1HD and love it. It will certainly be a good projector for a few years until 1920x1080 projectors become $1500US...

·
Registered
725 Posts
Only thing i can see that has kept my enthusiasm down is the dust blob issue. It seems to be more vulnerable that the panny ae300. lamp life is also a little low vs panny ae300.

Plus side, well you get a nice price break, lens shift (I'm sure that comes in handy) and a 3 (not 1 but three...) year warranty. After 3 years, this thing will be so outdated, you'll want to chuck it anyway...

Has anyone figured out hoew to keep dust out of that thing yet? Z1 is certainly on my short list for summer...

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Some rumors are that newer ones have a "gasket" of sorts to block out dust.

Even if not, it seems like one needs to figure out where the dust is getting in and then fashion an appropriate blocking mechanism.

Mark

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ghamu
It seems that everyone has either taken up the HS10 or panny 300. Am I missing something here? The Z1 clocks in at around $1450 and the panny at around $1850, a difference of a even$400 bucks. Same res, and as far as I have seen (having the Z1 for about 3 weeks, and the 300 for a few hours) the 300's diffusers do no better job than simply a slight defocous on the Z1's focus ring. Anyone else have a different opinion on this?

PQ is think is a toss up. Z1 does have an advantage of better pixel matching (or rather the 300 simply cant) and the Z1 has the option of a really tight focus, usefull if you want to do some PC stuff on it.

Anyone else have a different view?
Z1 for $1450.00? I seen them as cheap as 1350.00.

I have one and love it. As the other person post. There are allot of tweaks on the Z1s or 1HDs (studio experience). I love mine and I have much favor on the Sanyo over the Infocus X1 anyday for the price and quality!

Amen.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ghamu

(...) the 300's diffusers do no better job than simply a slight defocous on the Z1's focus ring.(...)
Hello.

Could you please elaborate on that? I've read alot about the differences between these two pjs, some ppl say that Smoothscreen works, some say it is still as annoying as screendoor, and now you say that it is nothing more than a defocus? :( :( :(

I would like to know, once and for all, is it worth the extra $500???

·
Registered
90 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SCosta
I would like to know, once and for all, is it worth the extra $500???
Then try them both :rolleyes:

I did, and it was worth the extra $$ to me, and to my wife. But you are the only one who can say whether it's worth it to you.

Whatever you do, lighten up. It's only a hobby! It's supposed to be fun, right?!?!? :)

- Rob

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.