AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my NeuNeo HVD108 dvd player. It came with a "free' HVD disc called "The Traveling Birds". All I can say is Wow!

This disc produced the most stunning image I have ever seen. I have held the image quality of T2 extreme edition in high regard as far as dvds go, but this disc, not the movie itself mind you, blows it away. Showing on my big screen from my front projector it looked like a giant plasma TV. To no surprise the HVD could not be played on my old dvd player.

My question is why don't we use this format already? If Blu Ray or HD DVDs are going to produce better images that's great but I am hard pressed into beleiving that would be the case based on what I've seen. Any thoughts on this subject?

·
Registered
29,392 Posts
I assume the movie you're referring to is Winged Migration ?

I've heard elsewhere that particular HVD looks fantastic. How's the sound quality on the disc, though? The two HVDs that came with my Skyworth player both have pretty poor DD 5.1 quality.

And what language is the movie's narration in?

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
HVD is Asia's new high-def successor to VCD. It will be as to HD-DVD and Blu-ray what VCD currently is to DVD--a lower-quality format mostly used for piracy in Asia and for internet downloads, with a few legitimate releases by Chinese interests here and there. HVD is basically similar to WMV-HD in quality but based on MPEG-4 instead of VC-1. It still uses red-laser media.

HD-DVD meanwhile will still use advanced codecs like VC-1 and full MPEG-4 AVC (which is even better than the older MPEG-4 subset used in HVD), but with a higher-capacity blue-laser medium. This results in much higher bitrates for much better quality.

Expect no major films to be legitimately released in HVD, except for some Chinese films.

http://www.connectedhomemag.com/Home...rticleID=43123

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Josh,

Winged Migration could easily be the title of this flick. I call it "The Traveling Birds" as NeuNeo told me it's name in an email. The package and the few subtitles are in chinese so I don't know for certain.

The sound quality seems decent, not great ,but without any real dialouge it's hard to give it a full review. There seems to be a narrative in french, but it isn't alot.

Sergei,

If HVD is going to be the VCD to BLU Ray/HD DVD in quality then I can't wait to see them because the PQ of this disc is insane.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
For starters because it's only being marketed in Asia. Also as others have pointed out it'll pale in comparison to Blu-ray which will be what will replace DVD here in the States.

·
Registered
29,392 Posts
Are there any commercially available HVDs in Asia yet? The only ones I'm aware of are those packaged with the HVD players.

I'd love to get a copy of Winged Migration.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Josh Z
Are there any commercially available HVDs in Asia yet? The only ones I'm aware of are those packaged with the HVD players.

I'd love to get a copy of Winged Migration.
I've got an email into NeuNeo if they have any commercial HVDs for sale. The HVD108 with Winged Migration cost $206 shipped. Since you have the Skyworth I guess it isn't worth the investment for you.

In a weird coincidence, Winged Migration was on Starz West last night. In this version it was shown in 4:3 and had a full narraration in english. I know the charm of this film is watching it on HVD, I just figured I'd mention it.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Touching on Sergei's point that the HVD is the HiDef version of the VCD, could it produce the same library of movies? VCD, while a crappy format, saw the commercial release of many viable movies. Many of which were not released on DVD until years later(Star Wars Trilogy, Back to the Future Trilogy etc.).

If HVD produces 1/4 the amount of official releases that VCD did, having an HVD player will be more than worth it. This is assuming the cost of the player is between say $150-250 and HD DVD players are a year away.

Again, any thoughts?

·
Registered
9,904 Posts
No U.S. film studio is likely to touch HVD/EVD. It would be nice if mainstream titles were released in this format, but when Blu-Ray or whatever comes out, HVD will be just an afterthought. Now, I like kung-fu movies as much as the next guy, but if that's all that's going to be available, I'll pass on it.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rezzy,

I'm in full agreement with you about having more than karate flicks to make this format worthwhile. Also, HD DVD or Blu Ray will be the format of choice when they arrive.

Having said that do you think it's possible that some US studios will "double dip" in an attempt to sell more formats and reach other areas of the globe? I mean VCD wasn't even up to good VHS quality IMHO and it definitely found a market.

Also keep in mind HVD players are cheaper to produce, thus much more consumer affordable. Even when HD DVD units come to market they'll be a little pricey and only people like ourselves will initially buy them. I always thought the Laserdisc player was never the "one in every home" product it should have been due to cost. Also, D-VHS despite the excellent titles available, has priced itself out of the market as well. I am not saying that this will happen to the winner of Blu Ray vs. HD DVD but it can delay the number of HD DVD players from entering people's homes for the first year or so.

·
Registered
29,392 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rezzy
No U.S. film studio is likely to touch HVD/EVD. It would be nice if mainstream titles were released in this format, but when Blu-Ray or whatever comes out, HVD will be just an afterthought. Now, I like kung-fu movies as much as the next guy, but if that's all that's going to be available, I'll pass on it.
Yes, and it's also questionable whether any of the foreign language films available on the format will have English subtitles. The ones available so far have not.

·
Registered
9,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JGDragov

Having said that do you think it's possible that some US studios will "double dip" in an attempt to sell more formats and reach other areas of the globe? I mean VCD wasn't even up to good VHS quality IMHO and it definitely found a market.
If a number of good U.S. titles actually found their way to HVD like they did to VCD, I'd probably buy. And If a reasonably priced recordable model came out, I'd definitely jump on it.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just for kicks I emailed several VCD shops. In the two responses I've received so far both sites-which I have bought from in the past and have provided excellent service-have said they are going to sell the HVD format.

Confirming much of the comments here they say the titles are very little right now and I'm not holding my breath on newer titles. I will check back with them from time to time and post any news of worthwhile HVD movies.

Josh, just out of curiosty, do you like your skyworth player? I hear that it is very similar to the HVD108.

·
Registered
29,392 Posts

·
Registered
29,392 Posts
See link in the post immediately before yours.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.