AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 265 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The question is for those new to this site that really question both formats or the users who are still up in the air on which format to purchase. (do not own any HiDef players)

Share with us your opinion on what you look forward into your future purchase of HD.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have purchased some BDs but no player yet because of price.

Babel, Italian Job, All 3 Pirates, Cars, Ratatouille.

Gonna buy The Rock this week.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by soremekun /forum/post/12967568

I have purchased some BDs but no player yet because of price.

Babel, Italian Job, All 3 Pirates, Cars, Ratatouille.

Gonna buy The Rock this week.

Interesting... stocking up now, so when the prices of BD players drop one day you will be set? I should have done that.

·
Registered
363 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by binici /forum/post/12967670

Interesting... stocking up now, so when the prices of BD players drop one day you will be set? I should have done that.

Yup. Only jumping on awesome BD deals at the moment. As soon as the price is right for a player, SOLD!

The Rock is $12.13 with Google checkout at buy daht com

·
Registered
333 Posts
Neither format will play in existing players.

With multiple dvd players in the house and a portable dvd player for the car, I'm going to start purchasing media that doesn't play in those devices? Or, I'm going to replace all those devices with HD players, even though I have only 1 HD capable display in the house?

Don't think so.

SD-DVD to HDM is an evolution, not revolution. So backwards compatibility, to me, should have been a given. Like hybrid sacd's.

It's nice to watch a movie on a big screen, but also nice to be able to watch a flick on your laptop or portable player when you're on the road. And you don't need HD for small displays.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Hanlon /forum/post/12967760

It's nice to watch a movie on a big screen, but also nice to be able to watch a flick on your laptop or portable player when you're on the road. And you don't need HD for small displays.

I have a portable DVD player which I never use. I hate watching movies on small displays so I just wait till I get home (I don't watch movies on planes either).

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Hanlon /forum/post/12967760

Neither format will play in existing players.

With multiple dvd players in the house and a portable dvd player for the car, I'm going to start purchasing media that doesn't play in those devices? Or, I'm going to replace all those devices with HD players, even though I have only 1 HD capable display in the house?

Don't think so.

SD-DVD to HDM is an evolution, not revolution. So backwards compatibility, to me, should have been a given. Like hybrid sacd's.

HD DVD combo discs will play in existing DVD players.

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
seems ppl who dont own HDM players yet all want blu-ray players but are waiting for price to drop. what would be a "worth it" price for a 1.1 player that can decode truehd in surround (not only 2ch) and bitstream all audio?

i hope ppl are expecting toshiba hd dvd player prices, there's a reason why they were the only ppl manufacturing hd dvd players which turned some ppl off to the format.

·
Registered
5,785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT Nut /forum/post/12967889

HD DVD combo discs will play in existing DVD players.

at this point i dont think anyone's lookin for hd dvd players who doesnt own one already. there's simply not enough content to be had on hd dvd.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thank you David. You expressed my feelings much more succinctly than I could have.

Although I enjoy high definition, the extra value over DVD is just not worth the money to me at these player prices and disc prices. My family enjoys DVDs because we can play them in almost all rooms of the house, take them in the car, take them to Grandma's house (to keep the kids from dying of boredom), etc. To me HDM has made a big mistake trying to "beat" or replace DVD rather than integrate with it.

·
Registered
261 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADGrant /forum/post/12967829

I have a portable DVD player which I never use. I hate watching movies on small displays so I just wait till I get home (I don't watch movies on planes either).

You must not have kids. Two or three movies during a 4 hr trip to the ski condo or cabin helps pass the time for the kids or me if the wife is kind enough to drive
. I have/will have to double dip the SD versions on a couple of movies I purchased on BD just for this reason. I would be very happy if BD could invent a hybrid disc since compression artifacts are simply not noticable on a 9" screen in the vehicle.

·
Registered
372 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcheng122 /forum/post/12967912

at this point i dont think anyone's lookin for hd dvd players who doesnt own one already. there's simply not enough content to be had on hd dvd.

And there is enough content on Blu-Ray? there's only about 10% more titles available on Blu-Ray.

"HD DVD 381 vs Blu-ray 427*

* Blu-ray total does not reflect 32 Paramount titles that were previously available."

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/01/28...ary-29th-2008/

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wonder if atleast 75% of the consumers think like the users in this thread? If that is the case then HDM will take a really long time to creep into people's homes.

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by binici /forum/post/12968019

I wonder if atleast 75% of the consumers think like the users in this thread? If that is the case then HDM will take a really long time to creep into people's homes.

Not if BD would come up with some final profile affordable players.

·
Registered
5,785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyd /forum/post/12968005

And there is enough content on Blu-Ray? there's only about 10% more titles available on Blu-Ray.

"HD DVD 381 vs Blu-ray 427*

* Blu-ray total does not reflect 32 Paramount titles that were previously available."

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/01/28...ary-29th-2008/

obviously it's not about current content, but what's upcoming. with only 2 studios the current numbers will change.

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
Both the discs and the players are still too pricey for me. But primarily I use an HTPC for all my media playback and the existing PC solutions still seem to be shakey and require an HDMI connection which neither my PC or projector have.

Plus I am not certain I want BD+ running on my PC. Once there is a version of @nydvd that handles BD+ properly I may buy a BD drive if I find a good deal and just rip all my discs to hard drive. But I'm still waiting on that one.

- Tom

·
Registered
5,785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbarry /forum/post/12968251

Both the discs and the players are still too pricey for me. But primarily I use an HTPC for all my media playback and the existing PC solutions still seem to be shakey and require an HDMI connection which neither my PC or projector have.

Plus I am not certain I want BD+ running on my PC. Once there is a version of @nydvd that handles BD+ properly I may buy a BD drive if I find a good deal and just rip all my discs to hard drive. But I'm still waiting on that one.

- Tom

think you'd be missing out on lossless audio with a pc solution.

1 - 20 of 265 Posts