AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have been checking out the posts about people hiding and shielding their front speakers. I would like to know why? Doesn't that muffle and influence the sound. Is it that the sound does not matter as much as the look of the system to some people? There may be instances when it enhances the sound but I do not know when. Thanks for any input. I am just wondering out loud.

Jimmy

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
When people do this they use acoustically transparent material. This therefore has no effect on the sound. As to why, well each person has their reasons. I did it to reduce clutter so people just focus on the image, also to avoid tempting young hands to poke those funny looking circles.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
As Marjen correctly pointed out, most people conceal their front speakers with acoustically transparent cloth, typically from Guilford of Maine (GOM). Of course, experts will be quick to point out that nothing is truly "acoustically transparent," including speaker-grill cloth, but GOM and other "acoustically transparent" fabrics should not have an audible impact on your system.

Secondly, there are lots of reasons why people build a false wall out of GOM. For one, it allows the theater owner to hide the acoustic treatments for the front wall. Many of the acoustic gurus would point out that the front wall in a multi-channel HT environment should be acoustically dead. You might like the look of your speakers just fine, but you probably don't want large batches of acoustic cotton, OC703, or Linacoustic staring back at you.

Check out the second page of my theater thread (link in my sig.) for pics of what's "hiding" behind my false wall.

·
Registered
417 Posts
In a theater the focal point is the screen. If you want to look at speakers, then, live like you wanna live man!

No material is completely transparent, period! The effect on sound with/without speaker grills or acoustic fabric is certainly measurable using devices, but, the average human ear is usually not as critical. Whenever I play Pink Floyd's Time, my dog runs about the room like a mosquito is buzzing him (during the guitar solo).

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Winkelmann, I am not knocking anyone's setup. This is the first time I have heard of transparent audio cloth, so thanks for the insight.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.