AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
What is your observation? The only observation I see is that your title should be "Why 50K Home Theaters are slow to catch on" (from reading that link).

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
IMO, its not snobbery (or a reverse bias) that is holding back HT. Rather, I see several intersecting things:

- complexity. some times it feels like you need a PhD in HT to get system right (unless you have the funds to have some one do it for you - 30-50K or more). We need an ultra-simple video solution. Audio is sort of getting there with HT-in-a-box even though many if not most here wouldn't be caught dead with one. Video is basically bewildering to the non-technical. Just connecting the pieces together is confusing. A natural reaction is "ugh, that makes my brain hurt, I'll pass".

- choice. this is the corollary of complexity. fp, rp, dlp vs lcd vs dila, big *ssed direct view sets, resolution, component vs svideo vs dvi. too many choices and no single right answer.

- space. you need to have a decent sized area to set up the surround audio. with FP you need screen space and throw distance. with RP, you need the space to put the monster. For a decent sized direct view, you need a forklift and structural bracing (OK, not exactly a space issue but the weight is a real issue).

- lighting issues. this is somewhat a sub category of the space issue but its one that makes the selection process of a PJ all the harder.

- cost. while the entry price has been coming down for FPs, its still close to 2 grand for audio, pj, screen, player. RP and direct view (for a decent sized set) are up there as well.

- speed of change/obsolescence cycle. things are moving fast. when this happens, the consumers tend to pull back and wait.

·
Registered
27,672 Posts
I just had an aunt and uncle over for dinner and a movie. Their kids, too.

He is a pretty successful builder. Builds $1 million plus homes.

He is also a movie buff with no knowledge of anything HT. After the movie, all he could do was gush at how amazing, awesome, etc, etc. You get it. He very impressed. Even though we watched a dumb movie he brought over. No amazing effects, O.K. PQ, so so sound. (A Knight's tale).

After he calmed down, he asked one question...and it wasn't, 'Is this THX?, What is the CR of that PJ?, What type of DVD player??

He asked, 'Can I have this duplicated in my house for $100,000 or there abouts?' (he is currently thinking of designing a new home for himself).

I said, You'll be in the ballpark.

He said, "O.K. then. Who do I call to design it?"

I don't see it as snobbery either. People want what they want. And like what they like. If it is affordable, where is the snobbery?

Why is HT slow to catch on?? Because only 5% of Americans could afford a heavy duty HT without incurring an uncomfortable debt. This is a niche thing. (I assume we are talking Home Theater and not Home Theater equipment in a non-dedicated room (family room).

Like everything else in this world, it is relative to one's income and desire.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Seriously, what is it about the ultra-high end that attracts quackery? It almost borders on self parody. I almost lost it when I got to "The next best secret is that Nordost is releasing their new flagship AC Power cord at the end of this year or early 2004 and it is rumored to best even the very best. Stay tuned." That thread has almost nothing to do with why HT won't catch on. That thread is mostly about the gullibility of the wealthy.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thebland I have reread my post again and I think it is clear I was talking about people like the author of the linked thread.Not you or your gram pa.Here are a couple of the quotes

"I have increasing difficulty reading the posts in many of the other forums at AVS that are dominated by discussions concerning what I would snobbishly classify as barely mid-Fi."

"how can they boldly pronounce the spoils of their Circuit City shopping spree as ?the ultimate"

In the first quote the poster described his own comments as "snobbishly"

he has accepted it so I have to agree with him.

·
Registered
27,672 Posts
Actually, your first post is as clear as India ink.

You posted a link and then told us you have many friends but don't mind losing some. Then you said something about my gram pa?? Well he is dead, and has been dead for a long time. There was no home theater when he was alive. I did mention my uncle though. Maybe you need to read (and post) more clearly..

I merely posted a response relkated to YOUR title.

·
Registered
652 Posts
While I can certainly have a good laugh at the childishness of some of the posts in that discussion (I wonder if I could sell them overhead holders for their cables ;)), I still don't see how that atittude is holding back HT.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I used to be obsessed by hi end audio.

Every so often there was a thread about why it was not catching on.

I have been in the apparel industry for 20 years. There is a reason that Target, Kohl's and Wal-mart sells millions of units and that the average price of jeans is $23 and that jeans selling at over $80 only sell a few. There are things called market structure, dynamics and consumer spending power.

Like Jeff I have had people round who have just gawked and said I want one of those. Then sticker shock set in.

One of the great things about HT these days is that the cost of entry is falling through the floor. My current PJ cost $30k ten years ago. God knows what that is in todays $$. My friend is about to get a PJ with a better image for $4k.

Regards

Rob

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I thought grampa sounded funnier.Plus it was fewer letters.And actually I said

I can always use more,but not at the expense of the ones I already have

I do like your advice though." Maybe you need to read (and post) more clearly.."

Quote:
Originally posted by thebland
Actually, your first post is as clear as India ink.

You posted a link and then told us you have many friends but don't mind losing some. Then you said something about my gram pa?? Well he is dead, and has been dead for a long time. There was no home theater when he was alive. I did mention my uncle though. Maybe you need to read (and post) more clearly..

I merely posted a response relkated to YOUR title.
+

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by scoby
Seriously, what is it about the ultra-high end that attracts quackery? It almost borders on self parody. ... That thread is mostly about the gullibility of the wealthy.
Because its easier to part a few wealthy people from a good chunk of change than it is to get a bunch of middle class people to part with a small chunk of change.

Do you know how many cheap assed monster interconnects you have to sell to equal the margin of one of the rare-earth dilithium quantum flux interconnects at $1000/ft? My gawd, that's like real work.

Many rich people are rich because they are smart in one area. Some are dumb enough to think this translates into smartness in all other areas. Doctors are often easy marks for con artist for this reason from what I've read.

Nigel

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.