AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What was the screen width, and type ( ie greyhawk, etc) and what are you planning?

------------------

Jeff

Currently - Zenith 7" CRT, 80x60 1.3 gain screen

Soon to be - 107x60 1.3 gain...with whatever higher rez DLP gets its act together (finally)with Panamorph or B stock/etc 9" CRT

·
Registered
47 Posts
My screen is a Greyhawk, 85" wide by 48" high, which works out to about a 97" diagonal.

In retrospect, for this projector, I should have selected a 1.3 gain screen, since the black levels won't be a problem. But many months ago when I made my selections of equipment, I didn't know nearly as much as I do now, and I relied on the home theater company's recommendations. The screen has already been ordered, so I wasn't able to change my selection.

The throw distance from the projector to the screen is 18 feet, and I believe the Seleco's are the only units which can make that distance without requiring me to use a larger screen.

This is going into a living room, not a dedicated theater. I almost feel guilty about planning to hook it up to a TiVo! (Among other things, of course!)

·
Registered
835 Posts
You should still have good brightness and the Greyhawk will help the already good blacks and colour saturation of the HT200DM! I'm not too familiar with the HT200DM, but I have seen the 250 on a larger Greyhawk. It was still bright enough, so hopefully you will not have any problems.

Regards,

Kam Fung

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yesterday, the company I had selected to set up my home theater (Absolute Sound, in Winter Park, just outside Orlando Florida) finally got a Seleco SIM2 HT200 and an HT200DM projector for me to try out. I'd been on them for a long time to get demo units before I would put through my order; I was really concerned about rainbows.

Well, with the HT200, I saw plenty of rainbows!

Have you ever been to a kid's science museum, seen one of those exhibits which looks like a really bright neon line on the wall but when your eyes travel past it you see a picture or a word for the briefest fraction of a second? That's what the rainbows were like. The image produced by the first projector was gorgeous... but every now and then something would happen in the movie to suddenly draw my attention to another part of the screen -- and then, for the merest fraction of an instant, I'd see REALLY BRIGHT neon reds and blues and greens. Not enough to persist, but just enough to keep me from immersing myself in the scene. Subtitles were the worst: on a letterboxed movie with subtitles below the frame, every time words would appear my eyes would jump to them and be greeted with a burst of INTENSE COLOR before I realized the words were white. It was highly distracting.

Then we tried the HT200DM. With that model, I only saw rainbows when I tried really hard and convinced myself they were there. I kept getting immersed in the gorgeous picture on the screen, and then after a minute or two I'd have to shake myself out of it and remind myself that I was supposed to be looking for rainbows.

After playing with both projectors in their showroom for SIX HOURS (the Absolute Sound people are great!), I bought the HT200DM right there on the spot. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.