AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those considering the Sony 40" XBR7, I thought I would post this thread as to why I purchased it over the very comparable 40" XBR6.

Here are the key reasons:

1. Styling -- the 40" XBR7 has the XBR8 series styling with the speakers on the left and right sides of the screen (as opposed to the bottom of the screen), which I preferred from a strictly styling perspective.

2. Sound -- according the Sonystyle.com, the XBR7 has more speakers (6) versus the XBR6 (4). In addition, the left and right placement of the speakers I believe improves the overall stereo effect as well.

3. Processing -- the 40" XBR7 has Digital Reality Creation (DRC) settings for 480i sources, which is great for handling standard cable upscaling. Once set, standard def. via cable looks quite good.

Picture-wise, from a high-def source like blu-ray, peformance I would say are very similar between the two: both are stellar once calibrated. The XBR7 might have a slightly wider viewing angle (before the brightness gets washed out) than the XBR6, although this is just my personal experience and opinion.

The 40" XBR7 works best if you want a high-end tv for a small apartment or bedroom, watch a good amount of standard def material (in addition to high def), and don't need or have the space for a separate home theater system. From a pure value perspective, consider the XBR6 which is a great set as well. Hope this helps all those out there considering these two sets.

Calibration-wise, here is what I would recommend:

Use the XBR6 CNET settings which works wonderfully for the 40" XBR7 (Link: http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...?tag=mncol;txt ).

Picture menu:

Picture Mode: Cinema

Backlight: 2

Picture: 90

Brightness: 51

Color: 54

Hue: 0

Color Temperature: Warm2

Sharpness: 5

Noise Reduction: Off

MPEG Noise Reduction: Off

Advanced Settings menu:

Black Corrector: Off

Advanced C.E.: Off

Gamma: Low

Clear White: Off

Color Space: Standard

Live Color: Off (grayed out)

White Balance menu:

R-Gain: -3

G-Gain: -4

B-Gain: -1

R-Bias: -2

G-Bias: 0

B-Bias: 0

Motion Enhancer: Off

CineMotion: Auto 1

Game Mode: Off

Video/Photo Optimizer: Video

General Setup menu

Power Saver: Off

Light Senor: Off

For DRC for a standard cable source, I am using this:

DRC: High Density

DRC Settings: Reality: 29 and Clarity: 9

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just wanted to add that the more standard def I watch, the more impressed I am with this model. I think it's the combination of the latest generation DRC and a moderate screen size (where artifacts are less blown-up) that contribute to its great performance.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD_Lantern /forum/post/15453083

Just wanted to add that the more standard def I watch, the more impressed I am with this model. I think it's the combination of the latest generation DRC and a moderate screen size (where artifacts are less blown-up) that contribute to its great performance.

thanks for the feedback. i *think* there is an xbr7 owner's thread here where you might also want to post this.

the 40xbr7 is the only set this year to have the BraviaEngine2 EX

, which is 'tween the regular BE2 (in most all sony 2008 sets) and the BE2 PRO that is in the 70xbr7 and the two xbr8's.

it's good to hear that the EX engine, which encorporates the features you are talking about, as well as others iirc, has such a positive affect on SD material, since that is also one of the selling points for the PRO version that is on the much more expensive xbr's

TVbc

·
Registered
2 Posts
i am deciding of what sony to buy -> xbr6 46" or the xbr7 40". Quality/picture is more important than size and the only thing that i can tell the diff is the proc engine. Is there really that big of difference between the two??

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVbc /forum/post/15453316

thanks for the feedback. i *think* there is an xbr7 owner's thread here where you might also want to post this.

the 40xbr7 is the only set this year to have the BraviaEngine2 EX

, which is 'tween the regular BE2 (in most all sony 2008 sets) and the BE2 PRO that is in the 70xbr7 and the two xbr8's.

it's good to hear that the EX engine, which encorporates the features you are talking about, as well as others iirc, has such a positive affect on SD material, since that is also one of the selling points for the PRO version that is on the much more expensive xbr's

TVbc

I'll see if I can find the thread to post to it -- thanks!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by seesean /forum/post/15453949

i am deciding of what sony to buy -> xbr6 46" or the xbr7 40". Quality/picture is more important than size and the only thing that i can tell the diff is the proc engine. Is there really that big of difference between the two??

If you are only watching from high-definition sources, I would say the difference is minimal.

However, if you do watch a good amount of standard definition material (such as regular cable), then the 40" XBR is the way to go due to its improved video processing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts