AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
141 - 160 of 486 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
If someone can prove without a shadow of a doubt that the geometry on a curved screen is off a little; would that make any difference in your purchase?
This question is for curved screen lovers first, then flat screen lovers second.

I think it's pretty obvious that the geometry will be off on a curve screen. Is anyone arguing that they aren't, or that they are hard to see when watching one?

It did make a difference to my of purchase because originally I didn't get an LG OLED because of the curve. Flat 4K LCD was poor and swapped for OLED.

The level of distortion has never taken away from my enjoyment of the picture I'm watching.

When watching the picture and not looking at the TV, the awareness of any curve is all but gone for me. (I get really lost in my movies, obviously.)

I don't think this makes me a curved lover at all though. I'm more 'meh' over the whole subject. Distortions due to sitting position make more of a difference than (LG) curve. If you sit to the side of any screen it's distorted.

♦♦ Do you choose aesthetics firsts over accuracy?
The same applies to audio components and sound reproducers (loudspeakers).

Accuracy over aesthetics.

I would always choose flat over curve given = PQ, it was curve OLED vs flat LCD at the time... will likely upgrade in 2 years to a flat 4K OLED or whatever best performing display technology is out at then. QD emissive diplays maybe?

With audio I'm more guilty of considering aesthetics (maybe because TVs all look roughly the same)... speakers specifically as there's plenty of great sounding AND pretty speakers out there.

Two very fair questions. ...Hopefully two fair answers, to properly balance things out in their just and realistic and honest context.

·
Banned
10,026 Posts
Tgm, it seems to me that too many here just scream, 'I hate curved because it distorts'. There seems to be no regard for frequency or severity. IMO you must take this on a case by case basis. Yes, curve DOES have the potential to distort. But the question that most don't want to address is how much and how often? Samsungs will distort more than LGs. That's simply the nature of the much gentler curve on the LG. That is a factor, but it seems that most 'curve-haters' simply aren't interested about these real differences.

I know you rebuked MOrange for mentioning something along the lines of 'how often', but that is a legitimate point as it is for any potential display effect. If an issue only manifests itself 1% of the time, I can be 'issue-free' 99% of the time. If an issue is visible 90% of the time, then that's a real problem.
Okidoki.

·
Banned
10,026 Posts
Samsung needs to come out with a flexible OLED that when shut off automatically folds into a rotating series of artistic origami shapes. I still will purchase a flat panel, but I just want to enjoy a new thread debate over the merits and shortcomings of Origami OLED, and how long it would take to just stop being annoyed by it!;)

Where did all the people complaining about the price thread being hijacked by the curved panel talk, all disappear to. The price thread now has tumbleweeds blowing through it?!
(chuckle) I was going to post over there yesterday something to the effect of "Whoa, check this out----all this pricing information showing up now that all the distracting off topic posts are gone!", but there had been so much bad blood over there that I didn't think many would appreciate it.

Reactions: greenland

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
I'd wager if LG sold the 65" Curved 4K OLED for $2,500.00 and the Flat 65" 4K OLED was $5,500.00, there would magically be converts to the curve! ;)
Ever since they first debuted the 77 curved OLED a few years ago, that was exactly the scenario I was hoping to take advantage of one day ;)

·
Registered
7,093 Posts
Some how the Oled Curve doesn't bother me like the Samsung and no I don't have anything against the owners just in case because some people take it too personal.

Samsung needs to do something with their aggressive curve ,I was at BB and they had the movie Life of PI with subtitle ,why they do this? I was like WoW those letters really look curvy.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Just some more examples of content. On curved screens. I can understand the actual curve of the screen being distracting to some people. But this shows no issues with current curved sets.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Here is another pic of a curved tv.

image.jpg

Reactions: losservatore

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
My only complaint about the curve is that it gives the appearance of a slightly smaller screen vs a flat version
Other than that, I'm completely indifferent to it, although if given the choice, would choose flat

·
Registered
7,093 Posts
^ It was just the font. :D
Seriously I was trying to fool my eyes and I sat at the sweet spot but some how my mind didn't adapt, I was seeing the whole time the curvy subtitles .I guess that I didn't concentrated enough.

I guess that was the camera lens distortion. :D

Reactions: Turrican4D

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Here is another one.

image.jpg

Obviously OLED wouldn't look this terrible.

·
Banned
16,643 Posts
If someone can prove without a shadow of a doubt that the geometry on a curved screen is off a little; would that make any difference in your purchase?
This question is for curved screen lovers first, then flat screen lovers second

I think it's pretty obvious that the geometry will be off on a curve screen. Is anyone arguing that they aren't, or that they are hard to see when watching one?

It did make a difference to my of purchase because originally I didn't get an LG OLED because of the curve. Flat 4K LCD was poor and swapped for OLED.

The level of distortion has never taken away from my enjoyment of the picture I'm watching.

When watching the picture and not looking at the TV, the awareness of any curve is all but gone for me. (I get really lost in my movies, obviously.)

I don't think this makes me a curved lover at all though. I'm more 'meh' over the whole subject. Distortions due to sitting position make more of a difference than (LG) curve. If you sit to the side of any screen it's distorted.

♦♦ Do you choose aesthetics firsts over accuracy?
The same applies to audio components and sound reproducers (loudspeakers)

Accuracy over aesthetics.

I would always choose flat over curve given = PQ, it was curve OLED vs flat LCD at the time... will likely upgrade in 2 years to a flat 4K OLED or whatever best performing display technology is out at then. QD emissive diplays maybe?

With audio I'm more guilty of considering aesthetics (maybe because TVs all look roughly the same)... speakers specifically as there's plenty of great sounding AND pretty speakers out there.

♦♦♦ Two very fair questions. ...Hopefully two fair answers, to properly balance things out in their just and realistic and honest context.
Truly enlightening; thank you.

·
Registered
7,093 Posts
Latinoheat your post #149 of 165 ,:eeksurprise: seriously Samsung needs to make the curve more gentle, I wont be placing my head few inches from the tv in order to see an straight line or not notice much distortion.

Reactions: agkss

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
A personal pic of my set at night. Also some pics just to see my curve doesn't hurt my viewing. This is some real world stuff. From my set. No reason to use others when I own one. Its been no issue. I enjoy my set greatly.

This is also just to show SAMSUNG is being accused of making distortion to your everyday content. I just don't think so.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,093 Posts
Yes we have seen hundred of your pictures and also videos from your youtube channel. I will said enjoy your tv and don't take the rest of the pictures too serious.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Chad B also has calibrated and reviewed my set and called it a pleasure to watch. Funny thing is never once did he mention distortion issues.

141 - 160 of 486 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.