AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's why I downgraded my Dish Network account. I am encouraging everybody who believes the same thing I do to do the same.

First, what I had:
  • America's Everything Pack
  • HBO Package
  • Showtime Package
  • Starz Package
  • Cinemax Package
  • HD Package

Basically, I have everything Dish Network had to offer. My bill was over $90 per month. And their price increase would have added $3 per month more. Basically, $36 a year. And for what? I don't buy the crap about cheaper hardware means higher monthly fees. I paid $600 for the 6000U less than 9 months ago. I signed a contract that said I would keep their service for a year with the understanding that my monthly rate would be the same.

So, in order to combat this price increase, I lessened my service (they'll get less money from me when they pull crap like this.)

Here's what I did:
  • I got rid of Starz - This was an easy choice: No HD offering. I don't watch movies in SD.
  • I wanted to get rid of Cinemax since it wasn't offered in HD too, but it was better for me to keep it with Dish Networks Value Packs.
  • Downgraded from America's Everything Pack to America's Top 100 Value Pack. Do yourself a favor and look at the channels you get with the Everything pack that you don't get with the Top 100 Pack. We NEVER watched those additional channels.

Now, my bill is down into the lower $70's. So, I figure I save around $20 per month. That's $240 saved a year.

I'd like to thank Dish Network for raising their prices and helping me realize that I was overpaying to begin with.

By raising your prices, you are now getting less money from me.

When my contract is up, I'm switching to DirecTivo HD since it's going to blow the 921 out of the water anyway.

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
I know this thread belongs in the dbs forum, and not HDTV Programming but I'll post along.

I also am considering cutting Dish costs. I don't mind Dish raising rates a buck or two every other year or so. The Viacoms and Disneys out there just raise rates like crazy.

I originally had AEP w/locals on a Single TV. About $90/mo. I dropped StarZ, Cinemax, and Showtime and I ended up in the $60s. Then I crept back up.

Bought the 6000, so I moved the 4900 upstairs to a 2nd TV (add $4.99 mo). Then I added the Warrenty for the 6000 (add $1.99 mo). Then the HD package launched (add $9.99 mo). Then I took the 510DVR offer (add $4.99/mo). Then they called and said I could add Cinemax to HBO cheaply (add $3/mo). So now my bill looks like this.

Code:
Code:
  • AT150 Value Pak HBO/MAX $59.99
  • Dish Locals Wash DC 5.99
  • Dish VOD Fee 4.98
  • Addl Receiver Access Fee 4.99
  • Dish Network HD Package 9.99
  • Extended Warranty 1.99 Total $ 87.93
Now I am considering doing the following.

If I drop HBO/MAX, and the 2nd TV. Get a 921 inplace of the 6000. I wouldn't need locals since they are only needed for the 2nd TV. Drop AT150 to AT120. I could end up like this.

Code:
Code:
  • AT120 $34.99
  • Dish VOD Fee 4.98
  • Dish Network HD Package 9.99
  • Extended Warranty 1.99 Total $ 51.95
Not too shabby. But I would miss HBO.

·
Registered
194 Posts
wow. An HD subscriber worried about saving $240 a year.

A $3 a month increase? That's miniscule compared to cable providers increases.

It just baffles the mind as how someone who spends thousands of dollars to get HD all of a sudden turns into a tightwad and thinks saving $240 a year is a big deal.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I received two notices of price increases last week - one from Dish (about $3/mo), one from Comcast (about $10/mo) - which I use for broadband internet only.

Previously, my combined totals were about $145/mo (AEP/HD/Locals/Extra Receiver/Broadband). If I'd had gone with the flow, I'd have seen a nearly 10% increase - amost $160/mo.

I was willing to eat the Dish increase, but the Comcast hike steamed me (but hey! I get basic cable for "free" with that rate increase). Ready to drop their broadband offering and switch to QWest DSL ($36/mo), I dialed the toll-free number for Comcast and spoke with a very courteous and knowledgeable CSR (*shock*). When I explained about my current setup and why I was dropping their service, the CSR offered the following: Digital Platinum (comparable to Dish AEP), HD cable box, add'l digital cable box for the bedroom, and broadband internet. With their "dish-back" program, I'd also get free installation and a $25/mo credit for 16 months. Total price for everything: ~$108/mo for the next 16 months. How could I say no?

Comcast's HD offering in my area is currently pretty weak - ABC and CBS (local NBC affiliate isn't broadcasting HD yet, Fox just turned on their digital signal for testing, and UPN is waiting for Canadian approval (too close to the border)), SHO-W, HBO-W, and ESPNHD (the promotional flier says INHD, Cinemax, and Starz all coming soon (1Q04)) - and I couldn't just give up all of the HD programming (Discovery, HDNet, HDNet Movies, HDPPV) I'd grown accustomed to.

When the Comcast installer arrived yesterday for the cable installation and de-installation of the satellite equipment, we removed the Dish 300 (pointing at 61.5) but left the Dish 500. I gave him the Dish 2800 receiver (good riddance!), but kept the 6000. A quick call to Dish today and for about $16/mo I get to keep the HD Package ($5/mo access fee + $10.99 HD Package).

In short, for about $125/mo I'll end up with the following:

Broadband Internet

HBO/Showtime/Cinemax/Starz/Encore multiplexes

200 channels of Digital Cable Crap(tm)

ABC-HD

CBS-HD

HBO-W HD

SHOW-W HD

ESPNHD (x2)

HDNET

HDNET Movies

DiscoveryHD

HD-PPV

And, if Comcast delivers on their promise:

INHD

INHD-2

Cinemax HD

Starz HD

All I can say is, thanks to E* and Comcast rate increases I'll be saving $20/mo and have a pretty decent selection of HD programming at my fingers!

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
I would drop Top 100 right now if I could keep FOX News. But it is not available in the top 50 plan.

So I am forced to pay a lot more each month for just one single channel (the only SD channel I watch on a regular basis).

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Quote:
A quick call to Dish today and for about $16/mo I get to keep the HD Package ($5/mo access fee + $10.99 HD Package).
Dan,

I'd like to save some dough too and find I don't use the other non-premium dish channels that much. So is it now possible to subscribe to just HBO, SHO, and the HD Package w/out an ATXXX base pakage?

What if I would like to keep a couple of channels (ala carte) along with the above premium subscriptions for HD?

Watch out for Comcast fee hikes. Before Comcast, I had AT&T and my bill went up three times in one year. Comcast isn't much better in this regard, and I am actually anticipating another increase soon. Dish pricing is much more stable.

·
Registered
121 Posts
From what I understand that you can subscribe to the Showtime and/or HBO packages from Dish without an AT* base package. They charge a $5 access fee plus each premium package price. For example, if you wanted HBO, Showtime and HD:

$5.00/access

+ $11.99/Showtime Unlimited

+ $13.99/HBO The Works

+ $10.99/HD Package

-----------

$41.97

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
I basically did the same as you did, danm. I just had Comcast HD installed last week and they already have Starz! HD and Cinemax HD. Plus the 2 InHD channels and of course HBO and SHO and some Locals.

So I just took them up and their offer especially since all the HD channels are in free preview mode for now at least. I dropped everything but the HD Pack from E* since I still wanted Discovery HD and the 2 HDNets (ESPN HD is on both systems).

Then to sweeten the pot even more my Comcast box received new firmware today that enabled the Firewire port for recording the HD channels to D-VHS.

Needless to say, I dont plan on subbing to anything besides the HD Pack again on E* any time soon.. if ever.

·
Registered
10,523 Posts
Ah, another knee jerk reaction. Immediately get pissed off, make quick irrational decisions, and blame corporate America for forcing us to give up (heaven forbid) a movie package, something you can clearly afford. Join pretty much the rest of the world and get a third or less of what you already get. This is like the person who owns 100 acres, has four cars, a 12-bedroom house and then complains taxes are killing him. Not to offend, but what the heck I will, give me a break! What new thread can we start next week blaming corporate America for all our financial problems?

For me the increase was a buck a month. I have the Top 100 (changing to Top 120), HBO the works, and the HD package for $68 a month. Now I gunna be po.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I just dropped my HDTV package from Directv, mostly because I have plenty of OTA signal in my neighborhood and the HDTV offerings weren't very enticing. Seems like most of the time I checked out ESPN HD it was just stretched NTSC.

I figure I'll re-up when the HDTiVo comes out. I just doesn't make sense in the meantime since we're not Showtime/HBO viewers and our schedule rarely coincides with programming we're interested in.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
I dropped E* last month completly and went to Comcast. When I compared E* AEP+HD package to Comcast Digital Platinum plus the hardware mirroring or rental costs I actually saved money and got more programming. I'm also getting a $25 per month credit for 16 months for switching from E* plus by internet bill went down $15 per month. I also dumped my POTS phone service and went to Vonage and saved a bunch more.

I'm glad that E* sold me that POS 811 and Charlie said that E* had all the HD worth having since that got me ticked off enough to see what the alternatives were. So now I get:

- More HD and more SD channels and save money

- My phone service costs went way down and I get more features

- My internet service costs went down.

Thanks Charlie, E* really did save me money ;)

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Quote:
Then to sweeten the pot even more my Comcast box received new firmware today that enabled the Firewire port for recording the HD channels to D-VHS.
Dan,

I didn't know Comcast was turning on the firewire so soon!

What minimum programming package is required to get an STB with firewire or better yet a DVR with firewire? Let me know how the DVHS recording goes. Which DVHS VCR are you using and can you dump any recordings from tape to PC HD over firewire.

When the E* 61.5 4PSK is dead and my 5000/mod is useless, I'm dumping most of my programming with them.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by high defilicious
wow. An HD subscriber worried about saving $240 a year.

A $3 a month increase? That's minuscule compared to cable providers increases.

It just baffles the mind as how someone who spends thousands of dollars to get HD all of a sudden turns into a tightwad and thinks saving $240 a year is a big deal.
$240 is a big deal, especially if it's being wasted on something that is not being used. With the money that was saved, ckenisell can
  • Buy 12 DVD discs
  • Build a nice D.I.Y. front projection screen
  • Buy a replacement bulb for his projector
  • Upgrade the cabling between one or more components in his home theater
  • Buy 40% of a La-Z-Boy Matinee recliner
  • and so forth
high, you must not watch CNBC. Suze Orman would be very disappointed in your casual attitude toward saving $240 a year and would applaud ckenisell's clever thriftiness.

Of course, Suze would then promptly scold ckenisell in her oh-so-lovable mother's haranguing voice for spending money on HDTV at all: "Why did you waste ALL-THAT-MONEY to buy a $5,000 TV? What's wrong with a nice cheap $240 27" TV set? That's all you need to watch my show on CNBC, after all! You are a money abuser, my dear!"

Hey, there's something else you can buy with $240!

·
Registered
520 Posts
I'm not doing a thing until 1/1/05. That's when my grandfather status for distant locals ends. By then both DISH & Comcast should have had enough time to update HD offerings. BTW, I spend over $120/mo with DISH, AEP, HD, Sports Pack, locals w/supers & 3 additonal receivers. A few $/mo isn't the issue, getting the most choice, HD & SD is.

·
Registered
9,032 Posts
This is a trend that both the dbs and cable SHOULD be watching (bet they aren't at least very closely). A lot of us bought (and paid off) our HD systems back when the economy was much hotter. Now things have cooled down we start looking at things to cut, especially what I call "cable network welfare" where you help support a bunch of worthless channels you'll never watch.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
As far as Dish subscriptions go, I used to have everything but I am now down to just the HD Pack and the Portland locals (for the guide) and my bill is $27/month:

$5 no programming fee

$5 extra receiver fee

$5 locals fee

$10 HD Package

$2 extended warranty.

$27 for 11 channels.

I quit watching any of the Dish SD channels because they look so terrible. All I watch now is HD and DVD and just a tiny bit of OTA SD digital. With the HD Pack and my local digitals, I have more HD than I can possibly watch in a day, so why waste the money for the Di$h junk?

·
Registered
50 Posts
That a cable company can charge more for a single service, compared to some discounted price for packaged services. What I'm getting at is how Comcast charges me $50+/month -- $40+ for cable internet and $8+ for basic cable -- I don't know the exact amount at the moment. However, if I want to drop basic cable tv service completely, but keep my cable internet service, my cable internet service goes up $10. I have no need for basic cable tv service at all because all of my tv entertainment comes from ota and digital satellite. So in a way, it seems like Comcast is forcing a service on me whether I want it or not. Just recently, we got some rate increases and now my basic cable rate is $12 a month I think -- I need to take a look again. So now if I drop basic cable, my cable Internet service will increase $10, but I will be $2/month richer because of the new rate hikes. Before comcast took over cable television in my area, we had at&t broadband. If a person subscribed to both cable internet and basic cable they saved $4 compared to just paying for cable internet.

I know I can switch to another service such as dsl for my internet service, but I do like the speed I get with the cable internet service. So I guess I have to put up or shut up, right? Well, I still don't think its right :(.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I think it all started with fast food value meals. A "#1 Combo" is a lot cheaper than the sum of it's individually priced components. :D

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
But what most people don't realize is that if you just get the Burger and the Fries and forget about the coke that you weren't planning on getting anyway, you're actually saving $.33 (or whatever). You do that three times, and you've saved yourself a buck.

Obviously, this is pennies compared to hundreds per year when dealing with dish prices.

Quote:
Now I'm a "tightwad" because I want to save money? It's not about how much you spend, it's about the value of how much you spend versus the product that you receive. I shopped around for every single component in my setup. I saved about $600 on my $2,300 RPTV. I saved $3,000 on my $6,000 surround sound receiver. I save even more than that on my $15,000 5.1 speaker setup. Just because I spent $2,300 on my RPTV doesn't mean I should have paid the $2,900 just because I have the money to do it. Point is, a "tightwad" is someone who won't shell out the dough for something worth it's price or someone who won't spend the money even if it's a good deal (just to hang onto the money). If I'm not going to use it, why spend the money on it (the extra channels on dish that I don't watch)?

Bring me more value and I'll give you more money. It's a balance of value vs. product and price.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.