AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When TiVo or ReplayTV says "We've signed 100,000 users", I bet they don't take a lot of things into consideration.

1) Returns.

I don't think this is a HUGE number, but hell, nothing would surprise me. It may be as high as 5 or even 10%.

2) Used unit signups.

When you sell a unit, the new guy signs up. I bet they consider that two signups (you and the newbie). In the DVR market, I think this potentially accounts for HALF of the subscribers. I know I've bought something like FIVE ReplayTV's used, and I've sold more than that! How many here bought and/or sold used units?

So.... While I think they're popular, compared to something like $2,500 HDTV devices, I'd bet that the actual number of current users is half (or less) of posted numbers.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Well, who knows.

I have a TiVo at home with an active subscription, but to tell the truth, the only time I use it is when I run into a four-way conflict that my three active ReplayTVs can't handle on their own. I haven't had one of those lately, so the TiVo hasn't seen a lot of use lately.

I have a ReplayTV 2020 at home that I took out of commission back when the 4000s came out. It's got a flakey 60G drive in it, and I haven't done anything with it since I powered it down.

So, there's two PVRs that probably count against someone's numbers but are questionable as far as active use is concerned.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
You forgot people (I know one) who see it in operation, go out & get one, and are too overwhelmed by the cables etc... to figure it out. And are too embarassed to ask for help.

Then one kind soul (me) sets up the whole thing, but they lack one set of rca cables, so kind soul tells them to get said cables. They are too lazy or something to finish the job. And so the RTV sits on the shelf doing nothing.

Said people complicate their lives by getting set-top boxes that add another set of cables & blasters to deal with. Said people are of an older generation, and must be really intimidated by this stuff to not complete the installation in the manner that I instructed.

OK maybe not too many of those, but I know of one.

·
Registered
140 Posts
The man loves his TV. :) Bravo, sir, bravo!

Quote:
Originally posted by toots
Well, who knows.

I have a TiVo at home with an active subscription, but to tell the truth, the only time I use it is when I run into a four-way conflict that my three active ReplayTVs can't handle on their own. I haven't had one of those lately, so the TiVo hasn't seen a lot of use lately.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Slack
You forgot people (I know one) who see it in operation, go out & get one, and are too overwhelmed by the cables etc... to figure it out. And are too embarassed to ask for help.

Then one kind soul (me) sets up the whole thing, but they lack one set of rca cables, so kind soul tells them to get said cables. They are too lazy or something to finish the job. And so the RTV sits on the shelf doing nothing.

Said people complicate their lives by getting set-top boxes that add another set of cables & blasters to deal with. Said people are of an older generation, and must be really intimidated by this stuff to not complete the installation in the manner that I instructed.
Slack: we are, perhaps, related?

In any case, your parents are my parents. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
God No!

The people I spoke of are not blood relatives. They are the In-Laws!!!!!

My DNA providing folks are succesfully utilizing a 3030 in one locale. And a 5040 in another.

Quote:
Slack: we are, perhaps, related?

In any case, your parents are my parents.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by acs236
The man loves his TV. :) Bravo, sir, bravo!
toots, care to tell us what's wrong with the above statement?

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
sigh

·
Registered
841 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Slack
. . . . .

. . . . . . .
As a card carrying member of the older generation I take some exception to your generalization. Our oldest daughter who teaches IT at a small college in Washington State refers to us as her techno-parents. She comes to us for advice on high-tech gadgetry. As clever and familiar as my children and grandchildren are with 21st Century technology, it's Grandma and Grandpa who are always two steps ahead of them.

Of course, how many grandmothers and grandfathers develop software for real-time 3D animation in a military DIS environment. And Grandpa uses it to produce promotional videos and real-time hardware-in-the-loop visualizations.

Bye. :cool:

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Well, Bravo is an OK cable channel ( I particularly like the Dinner for Five show), but should really not be mentioned as being representative of all TV. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.